1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to be a good parent

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by festivalhinge, Oct 20, 2015.

1. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This is all very new to me, and I'd welcome guidance.

My 16 year old daughter has just come out. I'm feeling very emotional about it, but mainly I'm happy for her; that she has been able to come to terms with who she is, and that she trusts both of us, her parents, enough to tell us at that age.

Some questions, please, for those of you who have been through this, as parent, or son or daughter.

Firstly, she is struggling to find the courage now to tell her older brother. They have a strong, close relationship. I'm sure he's going to respond in a similar way to us and be positive about it. I want to encourage her to tell him as soon as possible. What should I say; what should I not say to her?

I and my wife have considered saying something to him ourselves, but have decided not to. Mainly because I think it's important that we keep her trust in it, and tell only those she wants us to, when she wants us to. But we don't like that he does not know.

I'd like to give her a card, to celebrate the occasion and with a personal message from me, to affirm my love for her, my support for her, and my pride in her. Is that appropriate, do you think?

Similarly, I'd like to suggest a small family celebration this weekend. I'm not quite sure what we're celebrating, her coming out, I guess. It would be a very small, private thing, of course, just the four of us, a bottle of bubbles, and probably a take away in front of the TV, but her choice of food and viewing. Do you think that's appropriate?

Loads more questions, but I think I'll stop here for now.

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello again! Once more I'd like to reiterate how happy I am to see such an accepting parent, and I'm sure she's really happy too to have your support on this.
    I actually haven't been through this same situation, but I do have a bit of advice or insight from where I am in time right now, whether you take it or not is really up to you; and I'm sure others on this forum have a bit more experience and can give you more of their own advice as well in response to your questions.

In response to the situation with her older brother, sometimes someone such as your daughter can be scared of coming out to one family member (or family members) and not the other(s), even when they're pretty sure that they have their acceptance. This can be for a variety of reasons, and I'm sure she has her own for telling you and your wife first and not him. I wouldn't push her to tell him, but if you want you can sit down with her and ask her whether or not she'll be comfortable with her brother knowing. Try and leave it open to her, as it is her decision, ask her what she wants to do and tell her that you're pretty sure he will support her as you have. If she has any worries, encourage her to tell you about them. I wouldn't put too much pressure on her to tell him, but she might be open to telling you more about coming out to him and her own thoughts on the matter. You're right in making the decision to not tell him yourselves, it should be her own choice to and that's very important. But you can guide her in the process. In whichever way he might react, it'll be nice for you to have her back no matter how her brother responds, though as you said, you're pretty confident he'll be supportive so there shouldn't be a problem.

The card sounds great! If I came out to my parents that would make me really happy. To me, it sounds completely appropriate and a great gesture of support.

The family celebration sounds good as well, but maybe you can ask her if she wants to do it and what she wants to do. Personally I would be so happy with a mini celebration and takeout + TV, but once again it's good to communicate with her and see what she's comfortable and happy with at this time. If it is happening, a small, private one sounds good to me. Obviously this is in context to whether or not she has decided to come out to her brother at this point.

Anyhow, hope it goes well! If you have any more questions feel free to make a new thread or a new post on this one.

#2 Alder, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for that; it's very helpful.

I think she wants her brother to know, but I imagine that emotionally it's all been a bit exhausting for her over the last few days. I won't push her, but I'll see if she wants to talk about it, and the plan for a small private family celebration.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem, best of luck. It must've been a really emotional few days for her I'm sure; just have her back and let her talk to you if she has any worries, and once she's ready to come out to him she will. Hope it all goes well!

5. Adkins59

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel as that with the brother situation you should let her tell him herself. If they are as close as you say then their relationship will grow even stronger. But I suggest being their when she does in case it doesn't go as planned. Shes going to need all the support you can give her.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that your daughter has two supportive parents who are making a real effort to listen and understand. Do not underestimate how much of a difference you are making with your kind and positive approach. You are both doing great!

I think your daughter needs to decide when/how to tell her brother. I can understand why you feel it's important that he knows, but please avoid placing any pressure on her. I'm sure she will tell him sooner rather than later, now that she has told both of you.

The celebration idea is a very nice gesture, but it will only really work once your daughter has told her brother. If you hold a celebration this weekend it may lead to awkward questions from your son about the reason for the celebration. I think a card is a lovely idea though. :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask more questions. If all parents were so keen to understand and do the right thing the world would be a better place for LGBT kids.

7. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That is one of the best ideas I've ever heard.

8. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you all. I can never find where I put my 'Parent's Instruction Manual' when I need it and it's really useful to tap into other people's experience in this way. I completely take the point about letting decide who to tell and when.

I had a really good chat with her about some of these issues. She was pleased about the idea to have a small, private family celebration. She wants it at home, but we gave her the choice.

She's finding it difficult to find the time and place to tell her brother. She wants him to know. I asked if she would like one of us to speak to him, and she would. She does not mind which. Wish me luck!

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm happy to hear you had a chat with her! Best of luck, and hope the family celebration is enjoyable for her, and for all of you. Take care.

10. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! I'm just a bit younger than your daughter, I'm 15. And reading through this made me so happy, it's clear that you are a brilliant person and just by posting on here, you are doing everything I wish my parents would do.

When I came out to my parents, they banned me from all of my electronics for over 4 months and got me diagnosed with depression as a result of having threatened to kick me out for over a week. They cut off all contact with my aunt when they found out that she knew I was gay. Needless to say, I wish all parents were more like you!

Just by telling her that you love her no matter what has probably make her more happy than you'd imagine. I would give anything for my parents to turn around and tell me that they loved me no matter what.

I hope that telling her brother goes well, and that he's as accepting as you are! :slight_smile:

11. Mitchell

It seems like you're doing all the right things.

I would imagine that your support is enough for now - and that your continued support is going to be very important.

It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things.

12. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Again, thank you all.

Her brother is an amazing human being (but I knew that anyway).

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2015 at 11:23 AM ----------

Thank you RainbowLioness (what a great name!). You're a very generous person to be happy for her when it's been such a struggle for you, and I am quite touched by that. It's a shame that your parents seem so confused by it but we're all different. You may just have to be patient and wait for them to catch up. It's almost as if you have to be the adult in the relationship and that's not really fair.

13. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh gosh, are you in Hampshire in the UK? I am too, I don't often find people this close XD

I'm always happy when people are accepting, there's not much point in being jealous. The less people that are in my situation, the happier I am because I wouldn't wish this kind of lifestyle on anyone. And I'm not the worst off either, I could have been kicked out and disowned, so I can't complain too much! I just have to sit tight and let my parents.Do whatever, I can't change the way they are.

I hope you have a fabulous party on the weekend or whenever you have it, and that her brother gives her as much acceptance as you have. Most people learn a negative attitude towards homosexuality from their parents, so it's obvious that probably won't be an issue in your case :slight_smile:

14. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    We're almost neighbours, RainbowLioness! I know Portsmouth well, but we are a little way from there.

I think would be great if you and my daughter could meet, but it's not for me to push either of you on that.

I'm sure your parents do love you (they still want you with them). I'm sure they are confused. I know that I, as a parent, spend half my time guessing what I should be doing, and then pretending that I do really know. They need hugs, and love from you, as you do from them.

15. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Festivalhinge, I wonder, have you heard of FFLAG (Families and Friends of Lesbian and Gays)? It's a UK based charity that offers help, support and guidance to parents, brothers, sisters who are in the position you are in now. They have a website (link follows) Home that includes information, advice a reading list and details of local groups.

In all honesty, you are doing a great job anyway, but it sometimes helps to have that extra reassurance from people who have been on the same 'journey'.

Really great that you are returning to Empty Clostets and updating this thread. It means a lot to all of us to have supportive parents like you as members and contributors. It provides hope and inspiration to some of our young members, whose parents are much less supportive and enthusiastic.

Thank you for being here!

16. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents aren't accepting at all. They won't have any of it; they got me diagnosed with depression and then told me that I wasn't in the fit mental state to decide my sexuality, and that they didn't want me to talk about it again. And that was after trying to kick me out for about 8 days, but they couldn't find any family members to have me. It was a horrible time and even now I'm in for counselling at school, which I've been in regularly for over 3 years now.

I would love to meet your daughter but needless to say, my mum doesn't know I'm on here and doesn't approve at all of meeting people over the internet. But I send you all a huge virtual hug, you seem like such a good, strong family! :slight_smile: the fact that you are trying to be a good parent is brilliant, and the fact that you are clearly succeeding is beyond belief! You're doing fab, I reckon. Your daughter is lucky to have you! :slight_smile:

17. festivalhinge

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you Patrick. Yes, I came across FFLAG as I was surfing for information generally. I have taken up your suggestion to get in touch with them, just to see what comes of it. It could be useful to have some more allies, as you never know what's around the corner.

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2015 at 05:05 AM ----------

Hi again RainbowLioness!

Your parents are, of course, quite right about meeting people over the internet! Sill, virtual hugs all round for now! |______|

I hope your parents do come around. I like to think that probably they will, in time. Attitudes have changed so much since I was your age. Anyway, you can't change, and they can, so they will have to.