1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to support my friend?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by RyeTheDauphin, Jan 13, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My friend told me today that she's confused about her sexuality. She said that she isn't sure but she thinks that she might be panromantic because sexual attractiveness and gender don't matter as much in terms of who she likes.

I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to help her. I'm still unsure about my sexuality myself so I feel very underqualified but I want to support her. Is there anything I should know about being pan (I know next to nothing about it so any info on it would be nice) and is there anything I could do to help her out?

2. Mikelhpc228

HI
    Good for you for wanting to support your friend. You are helping, by listening to her! You can share this website with your friend. there are many people here (young & old) who are confused, and looking for answers.

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say the best way to support her is to talk through it with her. If you're unsure about your own sexuality, there's no need to pretend you have all the answers. You don't have to avoid talking about it just because you don't have everything figured out.

I'm not pansexual, so I'm afraid I have little knowledge to share. But it could help to look through the forums and find threads on the subject. Even if you only read them, you could learn a lot.

4. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was questioning my sexuality the best support I got was from a friend of mine who would listen and would encourage me to be who I felt I was suppossed to be. Just having somebody to talk to who was already part of the LGBT community was a great help for knowing I could share anything with her. My advice just be there for your friend ,listen to them, and let them know you will always have their back.

5. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would say just listen....really listen with compassion. Be supportive and there for her.

its a gift when a friend shares with you... this meaning u are someone special to them and they trust you. The friend is needing ur support and someone listening to them.

6. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Having questioned yourself means you probably have similar experiences to share, regardless of orientation. But besides that, just being there is more than helpful.

When I was questioning and told my bi friend, she helped me by telling me that it doesn't matter what orientation I am, that it's okay to like more than one gender or feel different things for different genders. Then we started talking about the first people who made us question and laughed about it.

7. NicoC123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the best way to go is just do what you would want someone to do for you. Though your sexuality's (in question) may be different you will still understand what it is she is going through. Try and talk it out with her; it may help both of you in the long run figure out what exactly you want.

8. Elli

You're a great friend! And like the other people said, you don't have to be some label guru in order to help her. I personally don't think that people necessarily have to put a stamp on them being that and that romantic or that and that sexual.
    All that matters is that you are who you are. And you love who you love - and you shouldn't be afraid to show those two things.

When being confused I think it already helps her a lot when you listen to her and tell her that whatever she finds out in the end you'll still be friends and it's alright whomever she loves/feels sexually attracted to.