1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my sister won't tell, even though I did

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by KaySee, Feb 3, 2016.

1. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is about family, specifically my sister.

My sister and I both realized that we were not straight separately. Eventually we had a heart to heart and discovered that I was gray-asexual and that she was bisexual. There was little fanfare and we both agreed that telling our very Catholic parents before we moved out was a bad idea. Because even though we had a gay relative that our parents were (somehow despite everything) okay with, we both knew that "it's different when it's your kid" was a possibility.

Near the time that I was to move out, Mom found out about me. We talked and I didn't get kicked out. Mom did a bit of research and we talked again. I think Dad may (have) know(n) something, but he seems fine with ignoring things.

Years later, my sister nearing the time to leave home and has a large interest in queer activism. She has not said anything on the subject to our family and I agreed not to tell. I think that she doesn't understand that our family is more accepting than we gave them credit for. She really does seem to want to think the worst of them and I don't think she'll ever tell them.

I can't tell my parents or seem to convince my sister, so I'm more or less stuck. Between the two hard-headed individuals of my family (my sister and Mom). Any advice?

2. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it's great that you and your sister have bonded over this and you clearly want the best for her, but at the same time do remember that it is ultimately her choice as to when (if ever) she wants to tell your parents. All you can do is continue to be supportive to her, and hopefully whatever choice she makes will be the one that makes her happy.

Hope it all goes well. (*hug*)

3. Willa

The thing is, no matter what the situation is, no matter how safe someone is, it is never okay for us to decide when another person is ready to come out. Even some people with very liberal families never do, not because they have anything to hide, but because they just don't feel like broadcasting their sexual orientation or gender identity as the most important part of who they are. Because it's not. Everyone makes their ow life decisions in their own time. Your job is to just support your sister and love her unconditionally. That's it.

4. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do support her and I know that I can't tell on her. Its just that she only sees the worst, and in a few cases its the best, in people. She has a "narrow vision" that everyone in my family notices. I'm not and will not tell her to say something, I just want don't want her to see it as an impossibility.

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people have a hard time picturing non binary and a asexuality.

I have a hard time with agender or gender neutral people because of what is hard wired into our brains. It's not that I don't understand or accept it's just difficult to process for some.

And everyone loves to have sex, right? Clearly not everyone but again that is something some people can't figure out.

Now if you were binary trans and lesbian or something she might be more approachable with that. Not that it seems she is an oppressive figure but it takes time to process is all I'm saying.

I get the frustration of being understood better by someone in the lgbt community though.

6. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait, what? What gave that impression? This is asking help on the if or how of telling our family, not about getting her to accept herself. Believe me, she is way past that.

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, accepting you. Your posts lead me to believe your sister wasn't quite on board with your identity.

8. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

...I guess. I am not normal as a queer. She never seemed to want to talk about me as another "queer" after I told her I was gray-asexual. Even less when I told her I was an aromantic. She introduced the concept of romantic orientation and asexuality to me, but she got most of that from her circle of "normal" queer friends. As a "normal" queer person.

But I am serious when I say that my sister has a narrow vision of our family, too. She only sees the worst in our family and can't consider telling them.