1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 11 year old son just told me he is gay

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by mumdv, Feb 15, 2016.

1. mumdv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello everyone :slight_smile: I have just joined and this is my first post beacause as the title says my 11 year old has just come out to me.

I have no problem with that at all. He is the love and joy of my life and just by the way he is this has not really come as a suprise, however I am aware that at such a young age he may still not really know for sure.

We have a very close relationship and I am truly blessed to have him as my son and this is pretty much a non issue for me. However it may be a pretty big one for him and I am not sure how best to support him (assuming he needs my support - he is very confident in himself) I just gave him a massive hug, assured him his Dad will also have no issue with this and loves him very much but that it is up to him when he feels ready to tell him as he has asked me to not tell anyone else at the moment. I asked him if he wanted to discuss this but he said no and that he just wanted to let know.

So, anything I should be doing? We have a great relationship and I feel proud of him that he came to me about this and happy that we are close enough that he felt able to do so and I just want to make sure I am there for him when and if he needs me to be.

I am aware that 11 is very young to be coming out and of course he may just be trying it on for size so I am not sure how serious to take this?

Any advice from anyone that has been through this - either parent or child side of things, would be hugely appreciated :slight_smile:

2. Confusedmoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Mumdv,

11 may seem young to be coming out and it's true that he might be trying it on for size, but honestly I knew around that age that I wasn't straight, so I'd take it pretty seriously. I think the fact that he felt comfortable enough to tell you is a testament to your relationship with him. I think you're already doing everything right. So long as he knows that you care and that if he needs someone you are there that's great. I know that I don't necessarily like discussing stuff when my mom asks if there is anything I want to discuss, but I come to her for advice/ to talk when I need her because I know she is supportive and cares. I think your son probably feels the same way.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Mumdv, and welcome to the forum! My name's Glenn and I'm one of the staff here. :slight_smile:

It actually sounds like you've done an excellent job, and said all the right things! It's a testament to your relationship with your son that he feels comfortable to share his feelings at such a young age! The main fear that LGBT people have when coming out to the parents is that they'll disappoint them or rejected by them. You tackled those head-on and no doubt put his mind at rest.

You're right, 11 is a young age to be certain of your sexuality - however, it's not uncommon for someone to "know" from an early age. Perhaps he'll discover more about his sexuality and view it differently as he gets older, and that's fine too! For now I'd treat him seriously, and just be open towards how he might feel in the future.

I think my only advice is just to let him know that you're there for him, and that he can come to you with any feelings or worries he may have. I don't need to tell you this though, as it's clear you're already doing a great job with that!

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much more to add. It sounds like you did a great job! Just make sure he knows you are there for him, if needed.

The world needs more people like you. Be proud of yourself :slight_smile:

5. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Everything that has been said is great advice, but remember you don't have to change anything you're doing. I have a friend who came out to his parents and they changed the way they acted around him and treated him completely differently- and since they were lovely and accepting before hand (and still are, don't get me wrong) he hated the change. Remember that your son is still the same person and just needs to know that you love him more than anything.
    This probably wasn't needed, but I don't want your relationship with your son to become unstable.

6. GayIsOk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Take it as seriously as he is taking it. I can tell you from experience that telling him or thinking that he is too young to make this choice is wrong. It could mess him up. My mom told me she thinks I am too young to be making that decision and I am 17. You are never too young. I had a physical attraction toward the male body at age 5.

Just be there for him, don't bring it up every day but don't ignore it. It is there and just acknowledge that you want him to feel as comfortable, happy and loved as possible.

7. burg

if your sons coming out 2 you at 11 take it as a sign you provided a loving supportive environment in which he trusted you .i wouldn't change anything all the signs are you have done a great job so well done really.its not uncommon to know your sexulity at 11 .

8. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Mumdv, as a 13 y/o boy who loves girl's clothing, I have to say I'm proud that you have a great relation with you son. 11 isn't that young, maybe it was when you were growing up, but now, with internet, news and other things, us kids are growing up to fast.
    My tg sister, Liz, knows she is a girl, me, I'm unsure if I am a girl (80% sure) or gay or if I am a cross dresser.

Mumdv, talk to him about if he is a girl. Whatever, support him in his journey, he need you and his dad.

9. mumdv

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so much for everyone who took the time to read and answer, it is much appreciated and very reasuuring! I will let him know he can talk to me whenever he needs to and if he would like to talk to anyone else that I can figure that out for him. They also have great LGBT support and openess at his school so that is a good :slight_smile:

@Liz, I have wandered in the past about my sons when it comes to gender and it may be something that develops further with him although he has never voiced any doubts but something makes me question this. Hopefully our close relationship means that he will come to me with this if he has questions or worries and I have let him know that nothing he says to me would change our relationship or how we feel about him.
    Thanks again to all :slight_smile:

10. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    mumdy

I don't feel 11 is to young. My son came out to me at the age of 14 and it deepened our relationship. I feel we are better connected and he is comfortable sharing current issues with me like love, dating and relationships.

Me and my son would go for walks where we could talk freely. and If permitted, Ask lots of questions like. Would he like my support telling the family? Did he need support? Had he already gotten some support?

I asked my son for his PATANCE..... in my understanding his sexuality

I asked for PREMITTION …..to talk about his life.

I asked for his SUPPORT..... in things I didn't know about.

I asked him if he needed support. Like a L.G.B.T.Q. Support Group

One method I find very effective is just listening... this allowing he to sort threw his feeling

I believe this as so positive that your son is open and that a gift it is to have a great relationship with him. The fact that he is able to express his true self is wonderful. He wont have to suffer in silence, fear or depression. Great Parenting

Mumdy, I'm so glad you asked that question to Liz, I felt in my heart that my son was gay at the age of 4 and I wasn't surprised then he told me, but when he expressed his questioning to his gender I was silently overwhelmed, but looking back the signs where there and it is a process that me, my family and son are working threw. we are supportive and open to his needs.

sinergy

11. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Mumdv: (Why does the English write mum and us Americans write mom??) Just sit down and talk to him. He might be trans, but he is afraid to say anything...I hope you and his dad will support him

12. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I spoke with my son today and he said he know in grade 5 at the age 10 that he was attacked to boys and no interest in females in any sexual way. In grade 07 at the age of 12 he was drawn transgender.

It took him 4 years to confided to me at the age of 14 that he was gay. Three weeks later.... he told me about his want and desire to be more feminine possibly transgender.

I hold my concerns at bay, because I don't have any idea how it will evolve. I cant worry about what I don't know about. I listen.. I nurture him.. with eyes wide open.... I able to watch he be happy and dance. I am able watch my son blossom into a kind and sensitive person as he was designed to be.

13. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Sinergy, is he talking to you about being trans*? If SHE is, tell her that she's not alone. I love being a girl (so does my bf):slight_smile: :kiss: <-----me and my bf...

14. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    yes my son was wanting to be trans. he enjoys girls things and always has... we have seen the family doctor about hormone replacement therapy, and are on a waiting list for support. because he made the request to go.

but lizSibling its weird... this has reverted him. he's unsure know! why would this be? I told my son he has all the time in the world...to decide or not decide, but I think staying on the waiting list is a good idea.

sinergy

15. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Mumdv.
    I think your son is in good hands with you as his mum. I think you will find support group or services for him. But don't forget to find a support mechanism for yourself.

16. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Sinergy, if she (I'm going to use the female pronoun for your XY daughter/ 'son') is a tran*, I would spend a day doing some shopping (get her a few dresses, because she will be beautiful). Maybe you can take her tomorrow to get her hair styled. She would love it. Talk to her tonight.

17. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Mumdv.

Welcome to EC, you sound like a great mum and this website is a mine of useful information and support and was a fantastic help to me.

I don't know of any support groups in Blackpool but over in Manchester their is a registered charity called the "LGBT Foundation" who may have details of local groups to you and point you in the right direction for support. If you google them you will find the contact details.

You could also try PFLAG UK which is a support group for parents of gay/bi/questioning kids.

Sale Gay Guy

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2016 at 04:10 PM ----------

Hello Mumdv

I've just had a look at the LGBT Foundation website under the tab "Get Support" "For Young People" "Friends & Family" and found they do a downloadable booklet in PDF form called "Our Kids Are Alright".

I'm sorry I can't give you the direct web address, I got into trouble the last time I did that but if you Google it you will find it.

Sale Gay Guy

#17 SaleGayGuy, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. IslandMom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Since the two of you have such an open dialogue maybe you could ask him if he would like (or surprise him with) a few sun dresses you've picked out at the store. You could get him a few makeup items and possibly some simple jewelry. You could let him know that he is free to experiment at home if he so chooses. If it is a surprise you could put it all in a bag and just leave it in his room for him to discover.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with taking it slow in a safe environment.

19. Sinergy

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    IslandMom.... a surprise bag is a wonderful idea:slight_smile:

20. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Great idea...don't forget panties, too. A few bras, too...and shoes, too. :slight_smile: