1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone can help me understand? my gay sister says she cant love my unborn son

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by pink37, Feb 20, 2016.

1. pink37

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey everyone.
    My sister is gay. I love my sister; she is smart, funny, and strong. The thing is, im pregnant and having a boy. And my sister said she cant really love my baby because he is a male.
    She said, after all, he is a man. I can never really love him.
    Please, this really hurt my feelings! (also, im a very emotional pregnant woman so i might be seeing things worse than they really are)
    But, gay girls out there, why do you have to hate men? Dyou cannot love a little baby boy?
    If anyone wants to give me a kind word to help me understand, i will appreciate it...
    Thanks.
    Pink37

2. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Umm that's awful of your sister to say, was she serious when she said it?? I am gay and I don't hate men at all, there are lots of men I like/love, they are just human beings like women, how can anyone say they 'hate men'? It's ridiculous. It's like saying you hate black people or gays. That's really gross of your sister to say...I dont really know what to say.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm gay and I don't hate men. I love my Dad and my brother, I just have no sexual attraction to men.

She sounds more like a misandrist and is using her sexuality as an excuse. To say she will hate her nephew without even knowing him is awful and sounds more like she has some issue unrelated to being gay. Even straight women can hate men (usually due to bad experiences with men), so It's not her sexuality that's her issue. So sorry!

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm, I don't hate men. Lots of my friends are guys. I used to be afraid of boys when I was really little, but I'm not anymore. I'd say most lesbians don't hate men; if they do, it's probably a problem unrelated to their sexuality.

5. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow and Ouch! I don't know what to say!

6. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

I hope your son will have males in his life , but I can't really say what I'm thinking about your sister...I might get banned from here. I hope you have other relatives...

7. Lipstick Leuger

Your sister has some issues. Please don't blame her attitude on us lesbians. I have a son, and I would personally kill anyone who tried to harm him. I had absolutely no problem loving my son, or my male friends either.

Your sister really needs some help if she thinks that hating males makes her a lesbian.

8. Innsanchez

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe your sister has a lot of bad experience about boys, just try to understand her and help her realize that not all the guys out there are bad. sooner or later she can accept your son, your family after all. just trust her and don't lose hope that someday she will open her mind as well as her heart to accept your baby boy :slight_smile: Spread love

9. pink37

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks everyone for the responses! They actually helped. A lot. I
    'm relieved to know that being a gay woman doesnt mean you hate men.
    And i never thought that maybe my sister has an issue with hating men and that this is NOT related to her sexual orientation.
    I hope when the baby is born she can change her mind.
    Thanks again.
    Pink37

10. itsbrooklyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would she say something like that?!
    Maybe she was saying it in a jokingly manner in the sense of her being gay and not actually meaning she won't love him because after all he will be her little nephew so she'll be bound to fall in love with him sooner or later

11. CharacterStudy

That sounds awful. Was it serious? When you're pregnant the hormones do tend to make you over-react to things. I could see someone saying it as a joke though.

One thing - could there be an underlying fear/regret that given her sexuality having children, though possible, isn't going to be as easy as for straight people. Maybe she's jealous, maybe it hurts her to see you pregnant, maybe she wants kids herself but knows it's not going to be simple.

12. Inis

First of all: Congratulations both for the pregnancy and for the interest you showed to understand your sister.

As you can imagine, "being gay" isn't a synonym of "I hate man/woman".
    It is more like
    "I love the same gender and I don't give a *** about what the opposite gender do"

Kidding.

I think you should understand what is the true reason underneath her affirmation, that isn't linked with her sexual orientation.

13. FrogFriend

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, being anywhere on the LGBT spectrum will not escuse bigotry and prejudice. I'm a lesbian and my two best friends are men. I love them like brothers and trust only them enough to even know my sexuality. There's just no sexual/romantic attraction involved.

Your sister must have some kind of other issues with men. Try to talk to her about it if you can, and if she truly makes you uncomfortable it is entirely possible to simply not hold up as much contact with her. Put yourself first and do not let your sister represent even a tiny portion of your view on homosexuals.

14. Rain is Love

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Was she sexually assaulted or did she witness it growing up? The only time I really ever seen females with a gender hate have a background.

15. panlove0705

Hm, that's strange. I know plenty of gay women, and they don't hate men. I myself am pansexual, but this sounds to me like your sister has some deep rooted issues regarding her relationships with men. Perhaps there's some deep seeded resentment based on past experiences?

16. Eye Shine

Jumping off what everyone else is saying I tend to agree that there is an underlying problem. I know a lot of LGBT+ people and they don't hate the opposite gender. It may come as a shock, but it's possible that your sister was raped or beaten. Now she is projecting her hurt feelings and resentment towards a target group which would be men. Now this is all just an assumption so I wouldn't jump the gun, but some something is definitely up unrelated to her sexual orientation.

17. Distant Echo

Yeah.not a normal reaction tbh. I would go with "that's ok. I'll love him enough for both of us. And he'll love you anyway because you will be his aunt"
    And leave it at that...

18. pink37

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks again to all the people who took the time to post a reply.
    I've been thinking a lot about this and i guess my sister does have issues with men. She would say things like guys suck, all men are shit, stuff like that. I always thought that was part of her "being gay" personality... Now i know this is not true for all lesbians and sorry for my ignorance... I apologize to all the gay friends... I just assumed, hmm, ok, she loves girls, she thinks guys are shit, it's all in the same package.
    Also, yeah, maybe she is jealous. She did say something harsh a couple of years ago when i got married, something about me being the perfect daughter marrying the nice guy and doing the right thing, and she being the black sheep.
    Anyways, i know she goes to counseling, so maybe she is getting help with her issues.
    I still love her of course, and always will. I just hope she can love my baby, thats all.
    Thanks again to everyone.
    Pink37