1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally!!! Im so ecstatic

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by lovemygaykid, Feb 25, 2016.

1. lovemygaykid

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So my preteen daughter as finally started to come out of the closet. She has been selective about who among her family she is willing to tell (understandably) Right now its just her sister and I and I support that. This has been a long time coming and its not a surprise. When she was little she insisted she was a boy and would attempt to pee backwards. After attempting to get her to stop, I threw my hands up and said if you make a mess you clean it up... lol Ok back to the point, I am so proud that she is brave enough at this point in her journey to become who she is. Supporting this requires no thanks as this is my job as parent, its what i signed up to do.I don't know no other way to feel. I love her no matter who she becomes... my concern is this. She already has social issues and difficulty making friends, she live in a very conservative community so there isn't a lot of support for LGBT here. She has made a small attempt at trying to tell trusted peers that ended in disaster and tears. It makes me furious but honestly not unexpected especially at that age. I don't wanna just tell her people suck and leave it at that... I want her to be able to build a peer support for herself that is positive, but I don't know how to go about doing that.... because of the community environment its unlikely at this age even if her peers are gay or questioning that they would be willing to talk about it at all.
    I haven't yet found even an online place for her to go (just starting to look) where she can have some sort of aninimity and that is specifically age appropriate for her (children only with some adult oversight)..... if you know of site etc I am all ears... but if not I am going to give it another week or so of searching and if i can't find something I will create one myself.

2. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Welcome to EC, Lovemygaykid!! I'm a 13 year old transgirl. Hope you will enjoy this!!

3. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC. You seem like a cool parent with a cool child. Here is a good place to share if she is old enough. I understand the community response. I live in a small one. I've felt stuck sharing after my father came out as Transgender. If you create a page to support I hope you share a link here. I would be happy to share anonymous my feelings of me as a child and my feelings.

4. Supportivemom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congrats lovemygaykid! I am following your thread because I am just waiting for my daughter to turn 13 so I may introduce her to this site. She is still "undecided" but that is probably why she needs a safe place to talk with others who question too or already know.

5. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats! always so nice to hear about things like this! I wish you both lots of luck and happiness. :grin:

6. Really

I'm not sure where you are with this as your post is a few months old now but I had a thought. Is there a Pride festival happening this summer in your area or at least close enough for you to take her? Could you contact the organizers to see if there are any activities or resources for youths that they could point you towards?

She might be able to make contacts at the festival itself and then have kids to keep in touch with afterwards. And if you go, you can be comfortable with who they are because you will have met them and/or their parents.

Just a thought.

7. TraceElement

PFLAG may have some resources that could be helpful.