1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for rules on sleep overs

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Batmom78, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Batmom78

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My 15 yeard old is making new friends male/female so i am trying to set appropriate rules for sleep overs as a straight child i wasnt allowed to sleepover with guys,but this is an entirely different siutation i want to do what is best for my son and allow him to live the most normal life possible.Can anyone help me with this?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I take your son is gay? Are you worried him sharing a bed with a male? Or are you thinking it's OK him to share a bed with a girl since he is gay?

I'm not sure is there really any need to regulate where they sleep. I mean do you have a particular concern in mind? Do you worry that your son might have sex with a friend? Or that he or someone else might pressurize him or them to do something they are not ready for?

What do the parents of the other kids think about sharing a bed?

3. HerrinDesFeuers

My parents never set any rules. I had sleepovers with boys and girls and also shared beds with boys, and my parents have never been concerned about that.

4. WanderingMind

Rather than rules, I'd work on establishing open communication and trust. At fifteen, many kids are sexually active. Many aren't. Whether or not your son is having sex, it's good for him to have access to information about how to navigate healthy relationships and ensure sexual health.

#4 WanderingMind, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. Sagume Kishin

The fact you're here shows you're already doing everything right. (*hug*)
    Thanks for caring about your son so much, it shows.

I'd say that if you had rules before your son opened out about their identity to you in regards to sleepovers, it might be a good idea to keep those rules the same or similar to then - obviously with some details flipped as apropriate. It'll show that truly nothing has changed and you see your son the same way as before.

Regardless just communicate with your son. Make sure to set boundaries, but it might help to have some wriggle room for him. Ultimately you and your son know your situation better than anyone else - so insight from him could make a difference.

Also, I would like to reiterate the usefulness of giving your son access to resources and information.

#5 Sagume Kishin, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  6. Batmom78

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    So my issue is with sex he has only been 15 for a few months i have known for 2 years he was gay his dad however just found out and disowned him which is where he lived at the time normally i would say no sleepovers with girls b/ c of interested in experimenting sexually but with him being gay how do i tell a child they can not sleepover he has been here for 1 month so i dnt know his friends parents well at all his main friends mom hides out in her room so i dont see any chaperoneing going on there i have NO problems with sleepovers at my house except i am in a very small 2 bedroom place and he shares a room with a younger brother until we move in a few months into our new much bigger home where we will have room for sleepovers. We have an open communication he says hes not ready for sex but has made out.i am mainly concerned about the sex issue at a sleepover. I want him to be able to have a normal teen life before he came out he was only allowed to sleepover with boys but now he is in a new place with new friends that i dont really know. Just a concerned mom needing advice we already have open door policy and on top of covers no pda in front of lil brother until he can understand things better. We agree to all of this.

---------- Post added 23rd Mar 2016 at 11:36 PM ----------

We are open about everything i just dnt want to provide or encourage him to want to have sex any sooner than necessary if that makes any sense. He says sex is gross wether its males or females his words not mine but i dnt want him to feel pressured and do something he may later regret.

7. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would like to give some perspective from a younger persons point of view. (I am currently 25 years old, so I have been out of high school for 7 years.)

While it is inherent that you will want to protect your son, the whole sleepover rules simply don't work at all. They are used to help the parent feel better, (at the expense of the child) and makes no difference in whether or not a kid will be sexually active if they want to be. Please don't delude yourself into thinking that you can make rules or brainwash your kid into not exploring their sexuality when they feel ready.

Sleeping with someone is not a prerequisite for having sex with them. Neither is being night-time when it happens. Having seen what happens when others that were sexually active in high-school and had these rules in place made it seem like something that was a bad parenting move. Those who wanted to have sex, (without a safe place to explore because of naive rules set by there parents) circumvented these attempts:

A.) Lying about who they were staying over with when sleeping over at "friends" houses
    B.) Risking public indecency charges for having sex in a public place or a car
    C.) Having sex at their parents house when they were not there
    D.) Sneaking their partner/date in after their parents went to sleep

This is why abstinence programs have been a total failure... It's not going to stop teens from having sex. The best thing you can do is be open regarding this subject with your son and answer any questions that he may have honestly. If you exaggerate risks and lie about the experiences that can happen, then you will lose his trust on these issues. (younger generations are great at using google to find information when they believe they are being lied to.)

I am not trying to be harsh, but I have seen too many times how the ridiculous notion that rules on sleepovers and teaching abstinence will do anything but cause issues and harm to teens with no benefits. You are a great parent for trying to understand this issue on a more informed level.

Note: I am pansexual which means I can experience attraction to anyone. Would you think it would be a good idea to tell someone that is pansexual that they can not have any sleepovers with anyone because of some ludicrous fear that they would want to have sex with them during that time? The bonding that happens during a sleepover builds stronger friendships, and I know that it would have caused me to be even more of an outcast in school than I already was.

#7 TXTurbo90, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree what people have said here. If your son wants to have sex he will find a way unless you lock him up and prevent him from seeing anyone.

If you create atmosphere of negativity about sex or outright tell him not to have sex until some age then IF he goes and experiments and has any kind of emotional or physical damages as a result (perhaps because of abuse etc.) he would not be comfortable telling you about it or seeking support.

My experience has been that kids who have sex don't do it at sleep overs when their parents are in the house. They do it when the parents are not around.

My advice is that don't set any rules for the sleepovers if the purpose of the rule is to control sexual behavior. Rather adopt honest and understanding stance on your son's sexual experiments so that when he starts them he can have a safe environment to experiment with.

Since he is gay and there might not be that many openly gay boys of his age he might be at risk of seeking company of elder gay men and that way subject himself to abuse. I know many stories where young gays - because they were unable to find company of their own age ended up seeking company of older guys and invariably all of these stories have ended up sadly. To avoid this kind of fate it's better you be understanding the fact that he will have a sex life at some point and it's better that it's safe rather than unsafe. The fact that your son calls thought of sex "disgusting" is indication that he is repressing his sexual urges. The more vehemently someone denies something the usual case is that the less true their words are.

9. Batmom78

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I thank all of yall and i know as a teenager i snuck around and had sex and blah blah hence why i am trying to figure out the best approach i know he is going to have sex and he has already snuck out of his dads to see a 23 yr old man thus is what i am trying to prevent not sex just i want it to be on his own terms.to Euler and Txtturbo thank you for putting things in prospective for me

10. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're welcome! I am glad that I could help put some perspective on the issue.

Being open and honest with him really is the best way to promote his entry into the world of sex/sexual relationships. It goes back to the teenage spirit of wanting to do everything that you are not allowed to do. :badgrin:

You sound like a very honest and active role model in his life, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. He is very fortunate to have you be supportive of him after what his father did to him. That is very worthy of praise (*hug*)

Note on your earlier post: I am sure he is struggling with a lot of internalized homophobia after being disowned, so that may be some of the reason he sees sex as disgusting. I know "just" my parents homophobic comments growing up led me to go back in forth with desire I had to explore my sexuality with the same sex, and having the guilt/disgust of feeling that way because of what my parents viewpoint of homosexuality being wrong/immoral. Just something to keep in mind when trying to understand his perspective in the future.

11. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is certainly something to be worried about. 15-year-olds should not be seeing someone who is 8 years older than they are. And a 23-year-old guy who is "romantically" or sexually interested in 15-year-old is up no good. At your son's age the age difference between partners should not be more than one year to either direction. Don't believe the people who say that age is just a number because it is not.

However, it might be difficult to convince your son about this. Teenagers think they know it all and he is probably very flattered that an adult is taking interest in him. Difference in maturity and emotional development between them is however so great that it's best to try to prevent such relations if possible. Have you considered perhaps suggesting your son to join EC for seeking support and having his questions answered?

12. Sagume Kishin

Euler is right. I think you should talk to your son, he should try to explore his sexuality in a more healthy way, even if he might be hard to convince.

Do you know any LGBT groups in your area? like, say, a Gay-Straight Alliance. The support they could provide would be helpful, both in helping him become comfortable in his own skin and allowing you to meet other parents/friends of LGBT people and getting wisdom from their experiences.

#12 Sagume Kishin, Mar 24, 2016
  13. Batmom78

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well after the sneaking out incident the cops git involved and that is when he had to come out his dad sent him to me in a different state we have talked about the age issue. I am so thankful for alk of your support and help if you come across any things you think would help please let me know. If he joins ec can he see what i pisy?

14. Batmom78

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Batmom, if he knew (or could figure out) your username, he would be able to look up your posts. However, there are two potential solutions: We can remove any threads you're concerned about, or we could change your username.

In many ways, there's a culture here at EC of responsibility, and so there's essentially "peer pressure" to encourage positive, responsible behavior here that many teens don't actually get to experience much of in real life. So I think there are some real benefits to your son being able to participate in the EC community if he's interested in/willing to do so.

16. Sagume Kishin

I guess.

There's no requirement for accessing this board - so if he did register here, he could see your post.

EC has the whole 'no disclosing of identity' policy but he'd know it was you from the details so in the case of you and your son it wouldn't matter.

EDIT: Chip ninja'd me.

#16 Sagume Kishin, Mar 24, 2016
  17. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I didn't realize it was him that went to see a 23 year old. I thought that was you when you were young. I would imagine that his reasoning for doing so would either be he was manipulated by an older predator, or he was trying to find someone to explore his sexuality with no connection to school/friends/parents.(in a very dangerous and irresponsible way) The difference in emotional maturity at that age within a 2 year range is very high, let alone 8 years.

If you don't mind me asking... Do you believe that he realizes that it is not acceptable or safe to socialize with people much older than him at this point?

I will second what Sagume Kishin said, Do you know if there is any youth LGBT groups in his school? If he is out in school, it would be very helpful for him to be able to meet some people in his age group to connect with... but I wouldn't force him out of the closet to join the group if he is not ready. Being with kids of his same age and situation could help prevent him from seeking connections/relationships with other people online that may be trying to take advantage of his age/emotional maturity for the wrong reasons.

With that said, I would almost encourage him to have sleepovers over at your place versus somewhere else. You will know who he is with at that point, and the peace of mind not having to worry whether or not he is going out to meet a random pedophile. That doesn't mean encouraging him to have sex, just that he knows he doesn't have to hide/choose bad places to bring dates/partners. He is also much more likely to find someone within an acceptable age gap for a relationship because he will not have to hide them from you, and thus can hang out with them more often.

18. Batmom78

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes we talked about how serious it is to meet ppl online and of a much older age.he has found there is a huge group of LGBT at his high school and they have accepted him with open arms i am going to talk to him about joining EC for sure i think it would b good for him to have as much positive reinforcement as possible. And i have decided to do the open communication with small restrictions due to his brothers young age and we have talked and he respects that so i feel we r off to a great start

19. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great news that he got involved with his schools LGBT group! That will allow him to connect with others his own age, and (hopefully) prevent him from feeling the need to seek company from older people online. Sounds like you have helped him come to the self realization that what he was doing is not healthy for him, and that is not an easy thing to do with a teenager.

You deserve a hug for being such a great parent. (*hug*) All too often in situations like this, children don't get the support that they need to grow as an individual, and they have nowhere to turn leading to depression, stunted emotional growth, and worse. Spending the time to guide him through this very difficult transitioning time in his life will pay enormous dividends, and he will appreciate it when he is older if he doesn't already express his gratitude now.

20. Sagume Kishin

Alls well that ends well!

Your son showed maturity if he did indeed cut the relationship off.

Once agaih, thanks for being such a nice parent (*hug*)
    I'm sure your son will meet a lot of supportive people.
    This kind of support means so much. A lot more than most people think.

If he isn't greatful now, he'll be greatful later, as Turbo said.