1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading material for my parents when I come out?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Katchoo, May 9, 2016.

1. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. I'm 31, and I want to come out to my parents (and other family members) as lesbian in a few weeks. They are very religiously concervative and live in a rural area with very little diversity of any kind. Since I live far away, I'll be talking to them on the phone, and I'd like to send them a little care package in the mail after. This will probably be really hard for them.

Does anyone have suggestions for helpful reading material / informational material for me to give my parents? They are around 60yo.

2. Sagume Kishin

Know that they won't necessarily be able to understand it right away. You've probably had months or years to figure out who you are, they haven't.
    You aren't financially dependent on them it seems, which is good.
    Even so, be prepared that they may reject you. It's sad, and I hope it doesn't happen to you (or anyone for that matter), but it's a reality LGBT people with homophobic and/or transphobic parents need to prepare for.

You can hook them up with parents and friends of lesbians and gays, they have some good material. In particular is a page dedicated to answering common questions from parents.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

This video is kind of long and dry, but extremely helpful if they would be willing to watch it all the way through right now (if not, maybe it's something you could show them down the road).
    It's a talk about the Bible (if your parents are Christians?) and all the parts that address homosexuality and how there's a lot of misconceptions, translation errors, and things many people take for granted. The talk is also done by a gay man who is Christian himself:
    [YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

Best of luck!(&&&)

4. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, no, I cant open that you tube video on my android devices. Could you please post the name so I can search for the video?

5. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

6. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 15 minutes in.This video is so good! Thank you!