1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My First P-Flag Meeting

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by proudofhim, May 28, 2016.

1. proudofhim

Well how nervous was I going along to my first P-Flag meeting and no less held at the Aids Council offices. Starting with waiting in the reception area with a very angry and negative 59 year old transgender lady quite frankly ranting about her Dr not understanding her, her family abandoning her and just not caring enough about herself to venture outside....not the best start to my experience but understandable considering what she must have encountered over her years. The meeting started and we all introduced ourselves (a small group) and half parents and half transgenders actually! We had a speaker from the Safe Schools Coalition which was really interesting and a representative from the Aids Council who also was living with AIDS. Afterwards the parents got together and talked. So as "A Seraphim Moon" said - I did hear some scary stories but hopefully it'll balance out with some good stories. On a lighter note I've never before had in my conversation: "when I was talking to a transgender the other day...." so my journey begins.

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The world is full of unusual people. Meeting new kinds of people expands the mind and heart. Thanks for venturing into unknown territories because you love your son.

3. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

You're a really cool mum. :slight_smile:

4. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a little confused, are you saying it was pretty much 49% Parents, 49% Transgender, 2% Gay/Lesbian?

Also can someone tell me if this is common at p-flags?

#4 silverdeer, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  5. proudofhim

Actually, it was pretty much 40% transgender and 60% parents of gay, lesbian and transgender children. And one transgender female did dominate a little which is not the usual I've been told just the exception.
    Anyway, I'm glad I went and I've met one parent who's son was at the same school as mine but since graduated so that's really helpful and we did exchange numbers to keep in touch.

6. A Seraphim Moon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww~I want to say, "I am so proud of you!" ^_^ That is a big, a huge... Wow, that is definitely a gigantic leap! Not just your acceptance, but coming here to find help. But, not just stop there. You also took it a step further. You joined P-Flag. (*hug*)

Your son has a formidable and an empowering mother! If only their were more mothers like you. You'll do fine and I think your son is going to grow into a fine man. One whom is loved and whom is going to very kind and open minded to all the world has to offer.

I know it might have been disconcerting and even scary to have all of that once... Sweaty palms and the group of people spinning around you. But, you handle it like a pro. Even made a friend. As we say with children the first time they succeed "The world doesn't seem so big now, does it?" ^_^

Thanks for updating us on your journey. Can't wait for another update! I'm happy you were able to find the strength to achieve that. Whatever it is that you've been using as your pillar of strength, keep on! Because, it seems like it's working!