1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this mean he's gay?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Rach90, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Rach90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello, this is my first time on here and i'm looking for someone else's opinion because i'm driving myself mad with unanswered questions.

I am a female who has recently split with my boyfriend of 2 years (he called it off) and of course there are many reasons that have contributed to the split but I am unsure as to whether one of them is his sexuality.

12 months ago I shamefully looked at his phone and found dating apps on his phone. I asked him about them and he admitted that a couple of years ago he installed them. The reason he gave for them was that he wasn't getting any attention from girls and he just wanted some attention/any attention from anyone but promised me that he'd never met with any men and that he was just looking. The thing that concerned me the most was the date the apps were installed, because it said that they were installed whilst we were together but he was adamant that they weren't and that it must have just been showing that date because the app had gone through an automatic update.

I believed him and chose to move past it and completely forgot about it. For another 12 months we had a lovely relationship (or so I thought because in hindsight there were things that weren't right).

Since splitting we've met up a few times and I again shamefully checked his phone and the apps had re-appeared (it's a new phone since the old one) and so I asked him about them. I asked him if he's gay and he said no and that he thinks he's straight and just likes pleasurable feelings. I know that he does because in the bedroom he would often ask me to use toys on his bum.

I guess people may ask, why do I care? You've split up so move on it doesn't matter but the reason I feel like it does matter is that i've also recently found out that on many occasions he's turned to religion yet he claims to not be religious at all. He lives far away from his family and doesn't have many friends and if he really is in the closet then I worry for him and want to help. I've told him i'll always be here for him and he has said if he ever feels the need to reach out to me that he will do. He's opened up to me a little since the split and maybe i'm the only person who knows this about him? His family are literally "perfect" and I think he feels a lot of pressure from them to settle down with a girl, have children and be successful, so I'm not surprised if he feels he can't come out.

The thing is i'm so convinced that he is but then I wonder how he was able to lie so well. Our sex live was amazing, he constantly initiated it, admired me at every opportunity, we barely went without it and he was very kinky. But could this have been a cover up? I truly believed he fancied me because I don't think he'd have been able to fake that so maybe he's bi?

I just don't know. It's been a couple of months since we've split and for the most part it's been amicable despite me being absolutely heart broken. I'm naturally a caring person and don't want him to hide who he really is.

Thank you for reading, and for any advice you can offer.

#1 Rach90, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  2. guitar

If he's installed a gay dating app then unless he did it as a joke, he's almost certainly not straight. He might be bi, or just gay. None of my straight friends would be caught dead with that app, mostly because they have zero interest in it.

#2 guitar, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. Rach90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for your reply, I think Bi is more likely than Gay, because I truly feel like he fancied me. The sex life tells me he did anyway. I feel like he's really lost at the moment, and I that makes me feel sad for him, I still care for him dearly. :frowning2:

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that he's not straight. I think a guy can enjoy anal stimulation and still be straight personally, but the fact that he's going to a gay dating app is a huge red flag he isn't. What else would he be doing there besides looking for guys? He probably lied to you because being gay/bi is a huge stigma and a lot of straight girls (not saying all) treat bi men as if they are disgusting and diseased, especially when it comes to romantic partners. Or he might just be confused and doesn't know what he is yet. Just what I'm seeing here.

5. Rach90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm still torn as to whether he's on the apps to actually meet with men or just to swap photos with them. He told me he had initially downloaded it a couple of years ago when he was single because he wasn't getting any attention from girls and just wanted it from anyone but never met with anyone from there. Having said that he's downloaded the minute we've split up so he maybe is.

Also, since we've split, we've still been sexting (it's stopped now) and I left some of my underwear at the flat. Anyway, the jist of it is that he ended up wearing my underwear and sending me pictures. I didn't encourage it and I was shocked. He's also told me that he'd like me to use a dildo on him and lots of other things. So yeah, it's strange that since he's dumped me he's opened up to me, I think it's because he knows that deep down I know.

The thing is though, I don't know do I? And I don't know if I ever will.

6. mangotree

There are a lot of other ways to "get attention" without using that app.

What was his physical reaction when you first asked about the apps, when you asked about them the second time and when you outright asked him if he was gay?
    Body language can spell out a lot for you.

If someone had asked me those things while I was in the closet - all the blood would have drained out of my face, my voice would have shook, my heart rate would have gone up to about 200bpm, and I would have come up with as many excuses as possible.

7. Rach90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The first time I discovered them and asked him was 12 months ago and it was late at night and he'd just come to bed (he's a Police Officer and works shifts, only been in the police for 2 years so he wasn't actually in the police when we very first met).

It was dark but we were both sat up and there was a lot of head in hands, head down, promising me it was just a phase.

When I asked him a couple of weeks ago it was over text message so unfortunately I couldn't read his body language.

It all adds up to me, the apps, the facial expressions and some things he used to do, wearing my underwear, the dildo and anal, but then I just can't completely be sure because our sex life was amazing and he really made me feel fancied and adored.

8. MrSkittles

Maybe he is questioning but is afraid to admit it. Like the other people have said there is a high chance he could be gay or bi or pan,etc.

9. Rach90

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    What does pan mean?

Given his attempts to reach out to a religion I'm worried about how he's feeling. He's not religious in the slightest. So to me I feel like he's really lost. What can I do though? I feel like maybe his mum should know? I know she'd be such an amazing support but at the same time I don't want to abuse his trust. It may help though?

10. iAmAverageP

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Pansexuality... It means they can be attracted to both male and female, and transgender people. Meaning that Gender isn't an issue to him.

I personally would agree with the skittles guy. Being bisexual or pansexual means (I believe) that he can hide it well... It's hard to hide the fact you're gay, I would know from experience. Though I would say this, if he does come out as anything other than straight I would try and be there for him. As you said you still care for him, let him know that and that you would accept him for who he is no matter what. Help him understand that there will be people, family and friends who won't agree and if they don't then that's their problem.

Hope I helped.

11. Hunter8

Is it possible he's gay? Sure. But from what I read up there, I don't see any definitive proof that he is for sure. More than anything else, I don't think it's right to label someone else as gay until he or she uses that label to describe his or herself first. If your former boyfriend says he isn't gay, then that shows he's still working out his feelings. If he's not personally arrived at believing he's gay yet, then I think you have to accept that. The most you can perhaps say about him is that he's questioning.

#11 Hunter8, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  12. n3ko

I agree it's impossible to label someone. it is for him to discover. support him if you are able. but maybe you need time to grieve for the loss of your relationship. if he is reaching out to religion it isn't necessarily a bad thing. when people face difficulties sometimes they explore other aspects of themself. but I understand being concerned if he is trying to change himself somehow or looking for support in that. that is unhealthy form of self-deprivation.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds pretty gay to me.

14. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely sounds like he could be gay, bi, or pan.