1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice re 10 year old, + camp issue

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by glowingstar, Aug 17, 2016.

1. glowingstar

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi there,
    my 10 year old just told me he is gay. He just came back from sleep away camp (all boys) where I know he had a social, and he said something that hinted at it so I said, "did you make out with someone?" and he said "yes" and then I said "boy or girl" and he said "boy" and I asked for details. he is super open with me and said that they kissed (no tongue - he laughed) and touched penises. I asked how old and he said 14. This actually is the biggest problem for me and I dont know how to handle that. I told him that the age difference is a problem.

When I asked how it came about he said, well the whole story is that I told someone at camp that I liked boys and then people were like - would you kiss me? would you kiss me? and that it got out of hand. he didn't kiss all those jokers, but I think this less comfortable 14 year old saw an opportunity. My son is very immature - I dont think that a rising 9th grader would see him as a peer.

But he also told me he has crush on a boy at school and that he told people at school last year (this is 4th grade). He thinks it isn't a problem if you love someone it's okay. I just listened: on one hand I think it is great that he is so comfortable with this and figuring it out. On the other I am worried his lack of understanding of social cues combined with ADHD and anxiety will put him in difficult and vulnerable positions for bullies etc.

Honestly, not surprised at all that he is gay. I asked if I could tell his dad, my husband, and he said yes so I did. He is adjusting fine except his concern that our son will be taken advantage of and this situation with the 14 year old is confirming that . Our son is different in all sorts of ways - socially awkward, ADHD as aforementioned though also smart and creative and finding outlets for that.

Does anyone have advice or thoughts about how to move forward?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I agree with you that it's a concern for a 14 year old to take a sexual interest in a somewhat immature 10 year old. While I don't necessarily put it in the frame of molestation, it is getting close.

I'm amazed by your son's openness. I would focus on teaching your son to be able to set limits for himself. If you remove the same-sex component, it would be just as concerning to have this same age dynamic in sexual activity in a boy-girl situation. Whether it's spin-the-bottle, playing doctor, you show me yours and I'll show you mine type stuff, that's all pretty normal regardless of orientation. It's the age dynamic that is more concerning to me.

3. glowingstar

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you so mucheck for taking time to respond. Those are largely my feelings. Particularly with regards to limit setting
    Camp is now over. Do you see any benefit or duty to inform the camp? I think someone going into 9th grade was taking advantage of him but my issues currently are more with my son setting limits.

4. ABeautifulMind

Wow, your son is very open lol... I couldnt imagine talking to my mother like that at any point in my life lol..

Is your son planning to stay in touch with the boy from the camp?

I would talk to your son and see if it is an issue for him if you do, then you might consider calling the camp. You wouldnt have to be explicit necessarily, but I would be concerned with whether or not the boy will try something with younger kids again, or has in the past. Just a thought.

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From my own experiences with boys with camp, scouts, and other group activities, this is all pretty common. I wouldn't worry about it.

It sounds like you're a great mom and very understanding and loving with your son. My first sexual experiences were at age 11, though with another 11 year old. As long as your son feels everything was mutual and consensual, then the age difference won't matter.

As for telling the camp, meh. They can't really do anything about it - gay boys will be gay boys.

6. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think informing the camp could potentially damage the 14 year old. They might as well speak further with his parents and, unless you're sure he's come out, get the boy in trouble.

I don't really think he was purposely scouting out for younger kids, it might have just been your son he had a special interest in (I hope that wording doesn't come off as creepy).

If you really feel responsible you could find a way to get in touch with him and exchange a few words, if that wouldn't be too weird for both of you.

7. Minny

Hi glowingstar,

I'm trying to think of what I would do in this situation. I think if you take the fact that your son is gay out of the equation and ask yourself, if you had a 10 year daughter who was straight and the same thing happened to her with a 14 year old boy how would you feel? The same standards should apply I would think.

I would be extremely unhappy, personally, and would talk to the 14 year old boy's parents first. However there are issues in doing that for example, if this 14 year old has not come out to his parents, you would then effectively be outing him.

I certainly would tell your 10 year old (I'm assuming at that age he is pre-pubescent?) that hugging and holding hands is okay with someone his own age but he should wait until he is older for anything more. And that doing anything with anyone not his own age is not okay.

That's just my view as a parent of a boy who is 11 and another boy who has recently come out to us as gay, age 14. Actually, my son read your post when he was on this forum and said very firmly: no way would he look at a 10 year old and neither should any 14 year old and that at their age, the age difference is massive. 'Do you know how young a 10 year old looks to us 14 year olds?' he said.

He also said that perhaps it may well be that this 14 year old has not come out and has seen your son as somebody he can try to explore his own sexuality with, or work something out with himself. This, he said, however, doesn't make it right. So you now also have the perspective of a gay 14 year old on your predicament.

Good luck.

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being 10 (especially if extremely immature) is too young to be with a 14 year old. Think of it as if your 10 year old daughter was experimenting with 14 year old boys.

I'm not against experimenting, I think it happens more than you think, even at really young ages. I just don't want your son to get taken advantage of. You might need to have a talk with him when it comes to understanding boundaries.