1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a single mom seeking advice for my MTF 12 year old daughter

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Caringmom, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Caringmom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good afternoon everyone and hope things someone can give me some insight and advice .I am a single mom of a 12 year old child i am new here and i would like to explain how i found this web site .So my son back this past November of 2015 came out to me that he wants to be a girl and he told me that he has been thinking like this for the past 4 years .We sat down and talked for like 3 hours and after that my talking to him i got him into counselling and he is does go once a week.We have been to a number of LGBT meetings together and also i have gone to meetings for parents to get insight .I also like to share about part of my daughters story

I would say after 2 months of into counselling we change the painted his room to Pink and he donated all of his boy clothes to the goodwill .I then allowed him to dress up as a girl in and around the house .He told me back in January that he would tell me when he would want to when he is going to out to the world that he is Transgender .I would say around March of this past year that he came to me and he showed me a picture how he wanted his hair .So it was a bob cut i ask him are you sure honey you want a hair cut like this and he was like yes mom very much .It is when he told me that he wanted to come out as transgender was on March 12 of this past year.He then told me that on March 14 that he wanted to go dressed as a female to school.I would say after he told me that night i wrote to his school and school officials that my son was now transgender and he would come to dressed on March 14 .I then also send out emails to my friends that my son was coming out transgender and needless to say i got some support but along the way i have lost some friends because of my son coming out transgender .I ask my son why March 12 because he told me that he would not want to look like a boy having a bob cut haircut .The morning of March 12 after he ate breakfast he goes to me Mom i am going to get ready for us to go get my haircut and he then ask me when i saw his dressed not to laugh .I told him i will not laugh and i ask him he wanted any help he said no that he is a big girl.He ran up stairs and to get changed and he came down about 30 minutes dressed in a dark blue dress and 2 inch heels and his hair in a perfect ponytail .He goes to me well mom what do you think of your new daughter so i was like turn around and let me see so he twirled around and i was like very nice and i just ask him if i can just his a little and he was like sure mom .

So as a mom it was also a new chapter in my life for March 12 because i lost a son but also gained a daughter .We drove to the salon and the stylist was nothing but supportive and my daughter ask her of getting a bob cut and she did not even flinch and was glad to help .So after about an hour i got to see my new daughter new hairstyle and i saw it in her eyes that she was so happy and almost jumping for joy of her new hairstyle.We then went to the mall so i can have her experience getting her nails done and also i got her ears pieced which went very well she loved getting her ears pieced .When we got home from the day of new hairstyle and her ears pieced i was like wow i have anew daughter .

The next day Sunday i was so worried about the following day with her going to school as a female and i only got about 2 hours of sleep if that .The next day for school she got up and got dressed i made her wear a pair of black slacks and a gray top and 2 inch heels and she wanted to wear knee highs so i said it was OK .I then drove her to school and the reaction my daughter got from her classmates was so bad words can not tell you how terrible and cruel things people were saying about my daughter .I did not even let her go in to school we drove home and i was so angry and upset of what her classmates said .I know a lot of people do not know what it is like to be Transgender i can understand that totally .I then called and also school officials and they out right told me that do not know how to hand this problem about transgender .So the Principal told me that he would get back to me how to deal with the problem .So needless to say i was not going to wait for this Principal to come up with the answer to my transgender daughter .I then did not wait any longer i pulled my daughter out of that school

So with luck from a friend of mine i got my daughter into school program this lady happens to be a former teacher .She runs a program that deals with kids that have been bullied or are LGBT and she runs this from her house .So since March my daughter has gone to this new program and likes it very much and i am looking forward as a mom of my daughter getting a good education .I will explain more about my daughters new life down the road

There are a number of questions i had and looking advice i was looking for and i was wondering if anyone can help.

My first question is my daughter has approached me and ask me if we are out if she can use the ladies room by her self she wants some independence .I have been so nervous when i do bring in to the ladies room but i am lucky no one has even thought of my daughter as transgender .I told her that i would think about it but she keeps asking me and wanted your advice .

My other question is my daughter also has approached me that she wants to start shaving her legs and under arms .She wants me to give her a lesson on leg shaving and she ask me if i can use my electric razor .I told her i will also think about .

So should i allow my daughter to start shaving her legs and under arms .

I have to get going but i appreciated any advice anyone can give me take care and have a great day and talk to you soon

2. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First off, you're a great parent. I've read stories where parents of trans people basically shut down their relationship with their kids.

I think your daughter shaving her arms and legs is no big deal. You let her get her hair and nails done, dress how she wants, and get her ears pierced. Shaving her arms and legs isn't a big thing. Nothing negative will come from it. As long as she knows you still love her and support her, everything will be fine for her.

---------- Post added 18th Aug 2016 at 01:28 PM ----------

Also, and I apologize if I upset you, you might want to have the sex talk with your daughter. She's around the age that some kids reach puberty and her hormones with be rampant. Also just because she's a girl that doesn't mean she'll automatically like boys. Some trans men like women. I hope my advice will help you.

3. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also you'll have to make sure that when your daughter does start dating that her safety is your number one priority. Being a chaperone on a date is not asking too much. Once again, I wish nothing but the best for you and your daughter.

4. LeticiaTheLesbo

I think the shaving is totally okay. I'm a teenager and know plenty of males and females alike who shave. I know most girls started shaving in 6th grade or so.

5. GayPugs

Wow...you sound like a really amazing parent and just a great person in general. I don't have any advice other than...keep being a great mom to your beautiful daughter!

6. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    She's a lucky girl, god knows that parents aren't always so accepting. I think she should shave if she wants too, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

7. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would walk in with her into the ladies room until you think she passes well enough for a female. It's not wrong, but it's just to be on the safe side. As far as shaving her legs and under arms go, let her do it. No harm in doing so. But like the others have said, you're being a great mom! The world needs more parents who the think the way you do!

#7 Blood Elf, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016