1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice about my transgender daughter schooling

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Caringmom, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Caringmom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Good morning everyone hope everyone is well and i thank you for the few of you for the advice and support on my last message appreciated.So i need some advice in my last advice i need it i explain that i took my 12 year old daughter out of her school in march .The reason is i just could not take the terrible things and her classmates making fun of her .I then had her home school in a program that i was told by a friend of mine of this retire teacher runs. It was only for the few months left in the school year and my daughter likes it very much .

I got a call from her old school 2 days ago and ask me to come to a meeting on Monday to discuss about my daughter they want her to return to there school for 2016/17 .The principal told me that whole meeting will be about my transgender daughter.He explain to me that she would be the first transgender female in there school.The meeting he also told me would cover her safety and the bullying

My question is i am confused with her school because i sent a letter to all the school officials and explain to them about back in march that my son was coming out as transgender .

Do i give them the benefit of the doubt and go to listen to what they say .Its just this home school program that my daughter is in is very hard to get back into .There is a waiting list of Parents getting there children into this program .If i do like what her school has to say and if for some reason if it does not work out and take her out of this program i will have no were to turn

I was wondering how do i go about looking into putting my daughter on Puberty Blockers and at the age of 12 is it to young

A side note my daughter 2 days ago started to shave her legs and under arms i can not explain it but i was so supportive of her allowing her to do this .We went into the drug store and i try to figure out which razors would work good for her .I got her Gillette Venus and also woman shaving cream .So after i picked them out i hand it to her so she give me a big smile and gives me a hug and a kiss and was like thank you mom your the best .

We get in the car and i was like honey do you need to explain how to shave your legs and she was like no mom that's ok because i learn a lot on You tube .So after we got home she took a shower and after she shaved i showed her how to use lotion on her legs .So after she was done i was like so young lady how do you feel she was like its weird having smooth legs

We also had a long talk last night about Boys which i kind of happy that we did .So she explain to me that her dream is to marry her Prince Charming and she wants to have 6 bridesmaids .She already showed me a picture of the wedding dress that she wants lolo .I told her ok young lady can we worry first of growing up first.Then she ask me in a few years if she can start dating boys .I explain this is a whole other topic that we would have to sit down and talk about in a few years .

I explain to her that she is thinking way to fast out of the box and i explain to her that she is only 12 and she is rushing things.I told her there are going to be a lot of things she has to learn about being a female .She then was like well i think i present my self my self well as a female and i was like yes your have shown me that so far but i was like to her it is a lot more .I was like to her that i am here for her any time and she was like will you always be there for me and i was of course honey .I told her that she gets her beauty from my side of the family .

So i have to get going but thanks for your advice and support i appreciated

2. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I were you I'd ask what your daughter would want for schooling. If she's happy being in a home-school program then I'd leave her out of public school. The public school is probably trying to appease you to keep this out of the national news. Plus your daughter doesn't have to worry about bullies at her new school.

I don't know about puberty blockers so I can't help you there. Sorry.

I agree with you that she's too young to start dating boys. But when she does you have to make sure that nobody takes advantage of her. It's a sad but true reality that trans people do get targeted. Keeping her safe is important.

3. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Caringmom,

I think you picked out the perfect screen name. You sound VERY caring!! I agree totally with what TyIsToasty said. Find out what school your daughter wants to attend. If she says the public school, let her know there is no turning back. Also, if you are curious as to what the school has to say, go to the meeting with no intentions of any sort of commitment. Let them know that this will be discussed with your family and you will give them a decision at a later date.

As far as puberty blockers, I can't say for certain what the steps are to get them. I can, however, share with you the step I took to get my testosterone blockers and estrogen. I had first made an appointment to see an LGBT friendly therapist. After meeting with her several times, she told me to make an appointment with an Endocrinologist that she had referred me too. After I made the appointment, she wrote a letter explaining that I am indeed transgender and she recommends considering me for hormone replacement therapy (HRT). After which, I went to my Endo appointment, and he concurred with her assessment of me being transgender and gave me my prescriptions at that appointment. I continue to see my therapist and my Endo Dr. regularly. My therapist, like every other week, or every 3 weeks. My Endo Dr., like every 6 months.

Again, that is just MY road traveled. I am MUCH older that 12, and so I could assume that her journey may be very different and more difficult than mine. That being said, it all starts with an appointment with a therapist. Again, make sure that the therapist is LGBT friendly and maybe even has a gender identity speciality.

Good luck!! You sound like an absolutely AMAZING mother!! I love your stories. Please keep posting updates to help other families going through the whole school thing. Stay strong Mom!!!

4. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    https://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/2016/08/19/transgender-youth-using-puberty-blockers/
    "It was only in 2008 that the Endocrine Society approved puberty suppressors as a treatment for transgender adolescents as young as 12 years old. The Society, with members in more than 100 countries, has since declared that the intervention appears to be safe and effective. In 2011 the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), also issued Standards of Care for the treatment of patients with gender dysphoria, which include puberty suppression." (Taken from article above, written by Elaine Korry)