1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

15 yr old son told me he is bisexual

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Erics mom, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Erics mom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    When talking to my son about how his first week of school was going, he said he like it. It was a new school (his first year at an innovation school). He casually stated that 6 girls and 1 guy had hit on him this week, and oh, I'm bisexual. I just looked at him unfazed and said ok. He then elaborated that he likes boys and girls. I told him that it didn't matter to me, and hoped he realized I would take him any way he came, straight, gay or bisexual. Nothing would change the fact that I love him. He told me that him and one of his guy friends had talked about it last year, but nothing happened between them, it just made him realize he is bisexual. My question is, I want to be supportive (it honestly doesn't change a thing for me), but I want to make sure I continue to make him feel comfortable talking to me. Do I bring the subject up again, or wait for him? Was he just testing the waters to see how I would react, so that he could feel comfortable talking to me? I know my husband doesn't care either. But, I do worry about him telling his dad. I want to help him....I just need to make sure I don't do anything to make him uncomfortable or alienated.........any advice would be appreciated.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would wait for him to talk to you again. If he needs support, let him know you'll be there. Thank you for being a supportive Mom :slight_smile:

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Erics mom,

First of all, welcome to EC, and congratulations in being such a great, supportive mom! The world needs more people like you.

I think you can avoid pressuring him too much about this subject because he may not yet be too comfortable about sharing too much, but it would be ok to tell him again you are there if he needs you, and that you support him. It is nice to make that clear.

Also, remember to respect his privacy. If he didn't tell his father, he may not be ready for that yet. You can offer to help your son with this, if he wants, but respect him if he is still not ready to tell his dad.

Anyway, you are already doing great by seeking advice and by supporting him! Be proud of yourself. :slight_smile:

I'm moving your topic to our For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People section. It will be easier to get more visibility there! :slight_smile:

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are an awesome mom! You're doing just fine. Knowing you will love and support him no matter what is all he needs right now. Way to go!

You might suggest he join us here on EC as well.

5. Erics mom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Gosh I would never tell his dad or anyone in the family, unless he specifically asked me to do it. I figure if and when he wants anyone else to know, he will let them. I have a twin sister that I share EVERYTHING with, and I haven't told her just because it isn't my news to share. I don't want to out him to anyone until he is ready to be public with everything. Figure he's got enough to figure out without having to justify himself to anyone else before he is ready.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow you are an amazing Mum. I am sure with you are his Mum your son will be great :slight_smile:

7. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Loli21 that you should just wait. The fact that he told you as much as he about his sexual preference shows how comfortable he is talking to you. But talking to parents about anything sexual, let alone telling them that you are not heterosexual is really difficult. Sexual preference is a very personal and private thing. He exposed a very vulnerable part of himself just to tell you what he did.

He may very well be comfortable enough with his sexual identity that he was ready to just let you know. Or he may still be exploring it for himself, but felt comfortable enough letting you know what he thinking/what’s going on in his very personal life. (As LGBTQ people go through the journey of self-discovery of their sexual identity, many become distant from their parents and siblings while they explore who they are until the point –which some never reach – that they Come Out to their family members.) However, this is a journey you can’t accompany him on. He has to proceed at his own pace, however long that takes. You are right that pushing the issue would most likely lead to alienating him at least to the degree that he may no longer feel comfortable talking to you about the subject. You can only support him with your unconditional love and be there for him when he needs you. Right now, it definitely sounds like he will come to you if he encounters any significant hurdles.

If you want to understand Bisexuality better, I’d recommend looking up “The Bisexual Index” online. It’s one of several good resources out there. You might want to be cautious not to let him know that you are educating yourself on the issue right now (I don’t know him, so I don’t know how he’d take it), but if he ends up coming to you with questions, you’ll already have a better understanding and maybe be able to direct him to some resources he may not yet have found for himself.

Thanks for being such an open and caring parent.:slight_smile: Best of luck to you and your entire family!

---------- Post added 29th Aug 2016 at 04:19 PM ----------

That's the perfect attitude to have on this, Eric's Mom. As I said this is a very personal and private thing. Respecting his privacy is paramount if you don't want to potentially drive a wedge between you.

You're doing great!

#7 Quantumreality, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Bisexual Index | What is Bisexuality?

:slight_smile:

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Chiroptera!:icon_bigg

10. Erics mom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks quantum reality and chiropter1, and everyone for your advise :slight_smile:

11. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're my new favorite mom...
    I don't know if you know how lucky your son is to have a parent who supports him like that- a lot of parents are nowhere near that supportive. So thank you for being awesome!

As for your question- If you can find a way to bring it up without being awkward, I'd try that. But also just bring up some LGBT rights issue in casual conversation and then mentioning how you can't believe that people are so mean and hurtful and why anyone would ever be like that...

Just subtle hints at it work too.

12. anthracite

anthracite Guest

The only thing I can tell is that if you are the type of annoying mom who wants to pair off their kids constantly (don't be ashamed, most moms do that) you could keep it gender neutral, like asking if he's met some hot person instead of saying hot girl ^^ Otherwise I like your reaction, you're doing a great job as a parent.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to echo the comments of other members and say how nice it is to hear from parents like you, who support their kids regardless of sexual orientation.

You may find it helpful to check out the PFLAG website. PFLAG is an organisation that offers advice and support to parents and relatives of LGBT people. They have some good resources on their website and may even have a local chapter near to where you live.

You seem to be doing all of the right things and your positive reaction will have meant so much to him.

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If neither of you seem to care about his sexuality just leave it at that. You already know the obvious not to blab about his sexuality unless he tells you it's okay to. No need to bring it back up unless you think he's worried about something pertaining to his sexuality. You let him know that you're there for him and that's all he most likely needs.

*slow clap* *clap gets louder* Your Mother of The Year