1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 14 year old son has just told me he's gay.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Minny, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Minny

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I found this site: I googled the above title and 'emptyclosets' came up!

My son who has just turned 14 told me today he is gay. It was quite a shock but I'm really happy he told me. I feel quite emotional about it which I'm surprised about because I have had a little talk with both of my sons (my other one is 11) a while back to say: by the way, you can be gay or straight both is fine, we're both very happy for you to be either...that kind of thing. But now my son has said he is gay I feel kind of shaky....the usual worries about one's child: will they be okay, safety online etc....

I love him very much and he was very emotional about telling me. Some history: he already has felt somewhat marginalised as he has a very high IQ and had to be taken out of school due to bullying and has always felt different because of this. He said today - crying quite hysterically - that he can't cope with this on top of everything else as now he's even more different. I reassured him saying that he should just take it one day at a time and everything will be fine...And of course we love him and accept him for who he is. He calmed down, we had a nice day out and we ended the day him telling me all about a boy he's met online and he seemed very happy.

My question is about my son contacting people online. He met this 14 year old boy through a gay chat room, he said, and now emails him and has skyped him several times. Every parent worries about chat rooms - whether their offspring are gay or straight. But I recognise that at 14 it's difficult to find other young people who are gay (and even if there are groups here in Edinburgh - which there are, I think, he's not a joiner, and wouldn't of course have joined a group on his own. This is something he might want to consider, perhaps, now he is 'out'.) So, I understand that online brings a lot of opportunities to be in contact with other people my son's age.

But......what is your advice about it? This boy seems genuine and lives in NZ. My son has only known him 2 weeks and from what he's told me they're getting a bit romantic: typical 14 year old stuff (from my own experience remembering back to when I was 14!)

I really need advice about safety online though. This is my main worry at the moment. I've told him months before about not meeting people he's met online and I'm not happy he was skyping this boy secretly. I told him he can have his privacy of course but there should be transparency so we know he's safe.

Thanks so much for any advice.

xx

2. RavenWing

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should monitor his conversations with this boy, make sure that if anything suspicious happens that you know. Make sure that you son understands that if the boy isn't genuine or says something that puts up red flags that you should know immediately and that he knows to tell you when they are talking. Perhaps you could ask him to introduce you to the boy?

#2 RavenWing, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  3. Mitchell

I'd have to say when I was that age I was conversing with others online about sexuality. It was of great help to me. I understand your concern... my mother never really questioned what I do online, she has always trusted me.

I was a chat moderator on a large network for many years... if anything I'd have a discussion about appropriate use of webcams, that was an issue on the chat network I moderated... having an understanding that certain things are not appropriate, as well as knowing that conversations you have online can be recorded and shared, so use good judgement when sharing information or conversing with others.

It seems like young people over Skype don't always use good judgement. That's the biggest thing I'd say to watch out for, if your concern is of such.

My mother was always at ease by asking me who I was conversing with, and what we were talking about, and asking information about them.

I came out to my mother when I was 14... shortly after starting high school.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Minny,

Just to give you a little background, I’m a 50 year old bisexual man.

Your reaction is not unusual, but very happily positive and supportive. Even for someone who is openly accepting of other-than-heterosexual (LGBTQ) people, having someone in your own family, especially an LGBTQ child can be disconcerting initially. The good news is that you can certainly come to accept it because you clearly love him unconditionally. He had to first come to terms with his own sexuality and feel comfortable enough to tell you. THAT is a deeply personal and private thing for anyone and he trusted you enough to tell you! That’s why he was so emotional. It’s VERY hard to talk to parents about sex, let alone tell them that he is not heterosexual. That takes a ton of courage. Respect that for the trust he placed in you and take that a huge plus for being a great parent! Of course, no parent wants to hear that their son is gay (or anything other than a societal norm) – that is personally taxing on you and you need time to comprehend and deal with it. You think about how ostracized he might be or how he might be picked on. You want to protect him. But you can ONLY support him. Sexual preference in NOT a choice – I mean, who would CHOOSE to be an ‘outcast’ from ‘normal’ society? The fact is, he is normal. He was born this way and suppressing him in any way would do more harm than good. And the good news is that society, in general, is far more accepting (and the younger generations, in particular) of non-heterosexual individuals than ever before.

Sounds great that your other sons are potentially supportive, but it sounds like at least one of them may not fully understand the issue. That’s fine, too, he will most likely grow to accept his brother.

As to the online activity. Overall, it sounds like you are handling things really well. I have two main things to say. First, it seems that more LGBTQ people meet real friends and potential romantic interests online than anywhere else these days – especially depending on how small/isolated your individual community may be. Second, the bad news is that with a lot of open teen websites you find predators that are catfishing (pretending to be other than who they really are – such as if I was pretending to be a gay teen boy to gain your son's trust and sympathy instead of telling you upfront that I’m a 50 year old bi man). I’m not sure I can give you much specific advice on this. Just make sure you are aware as possible about what your son is doing online without overly invading his privacy and alienting him. It’s probably not an issue unless they intend to meet, but you said he Skyped with the person he’s interested in, so, presumably, live images can’t be faked. Plus, if he lives in NZ, a personal meet is unlikely anytime soon. Also, if your son has developed a personal bond with him and if this young man can help him deal with his life issues, let alone directly empathize or associate with his sexuality issues, you might want to be hesitant about simply cutting off contact.

Though, beyond your totally appropriate concerns about who he is talking to online (which you should probably have a frank discussion about with him, if you haven’t already, to let him know what you are potentially worried and why), I’m not sure you can do much more. And, remember, your issues/concerns about his online activity aren’t really any different from a parent with a straight teenage son or daughter.

You said that you live in Edinburgh – great city, by the way, I’ve been there and love it! Is there a Gay-Straight Alliances at his school? That would be a very good way for him to get into local LGBTQ circles. Other than that, I can only say that most of us muddle our way through with our romantic lives and make friends with people we really like, sometimes in the hopes they may return our feelings if we have a crush on them. (Not really different from ‘straight’ issues…)

Best of luck!:slight_smile:

#4 Quantumreality, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  5. Minny

Thanks so much for your replies.

Mitchell - that is such good advice about webcams and about that things can be recorded and shared....such a good point and something I will talk about with my son - thank you for pointing that out to me.

Ravenwing - thanks so much for your advice: yes, I do want to monitor him and I was worried that my son was skyping in secret as we've warned him about making contact with strangers before. But now everything's out in the open, he has asked me if I'd like to 'meet' the boy he's talking to. I feel that at least with skype you can see who you're talking to, so the worry of my son talking to someone who is not who they say they are, (ie, not the appropriate age) is removed, though Mitchell has wisely pointed out I need to be aware of other issues with skype.

Thank you Quantumreality for your kind advice. We are the same age and I remember how hard it was in the 80s here in the UK, certainly, to be growing up gay (though obviously an improvement on the decades before...). I hope things are better now - I feel they must be in terms of media visability and acceptance generally.

I was so proud of my youngest son as my eldest came out to him first. Then someone called my youngest, who has just started a new school, 'gay' as an insult and he stood up to the boy in question and said: well, what's wrong with being gay? He was very upset by this and (not knowing my other son was gay at this point!) together we formulated a message to the mother and got an apology from both mother and boy.

I completely accept my son and know he hasn't 'chosen' to be gay.

My son is home-educated and has contact with others his age but I wouldn't say he has any friends (due to his high-giftedness it's been difficult to relate to others his age.)

I'm going to post another question about Edinburgh, because the city - as you might know - is with Manchester and London very popular to live in for gay people and I'm wondering, since we were planning to move to a smaller town for life-style reasons, if I should now reconsider this in the light of my son's news.

Thanks so much all of you for our great advice. I really appreciate it!

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Minny!

No offense, but you touched on a couple of hot-button issues. First, I'm not gay (homosexual), I'm bisexual and I, personally, have a strong preference for men, but that is my individual preference. General society often has more disdain/prejudice for bisexuals than homosexuals and even within the 'Gay community' there is a degree of prejudice (thinking that bisexuality isn't real or that we're just 'playing the field' - so you see, sexuality prejudice isn't confined to the straight world). Second (my other hot-button issue), you didn't quite say it, but your gay son isn't living a 'lifestyle.' He's just living his life. Homophobia is a chosen lifestyle. Homosexuality is just how some of us are.

No bad on you and I'm not throwing shade (I'm not even pretending to be mad), I'm just trying to educate you. And no need for you to reply. I don't take offense, but I wanted to explain/clarify these things. And I'll always be happy to provide input if/when you may ever post again here on EC.

Best of luck for you and your entire family!:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 02:21 AM ----------

Oh, and Edinburgh is sooo great. I was stationed in Germany in the military in the early 90's and brought my parents over to Europe on vacation. They wanted to visit the UK and, for some reason, I got kinda frustrated acting as a tour guide when we went to London and Bath. Then we went to Edinburgh. And just the nice accent of the locals cheered me up immensely. And the city itself is so cool. I went up to the castle and looked out over the Firth of Forth and it was beautiful.

#6 Quantumreality, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  7. seeking

I remember when I was 14 I was acting odd and my mother put a certain software on my computer to monitor what I was doing.

(I have not come out to my mother I'm in my 20's, but she may already know)

Anyway... it might be best to do it that way. It sounds like an invasion of privacy....but the way I think now and how I thought when I was 14 is so so VERY DIFFERENT.

If you worry about his safety...I think you should start monitoring his conversations to make sure nothing fishy is going on. Some children are unwilling to admit horrible treatments from others to their parent for whatever reason.

Also it might be good to get a therapist....just make sure you get one that is one that works closely with the LGBT community.

You could also volunteer with him at LGBT centers. They are always looking for volunteers...such as for parades, celebrations, art galleries, homeless shelter, etc.

I would really just help him create the right support system outside of his family.

8. Minny

Thanks Quantamreality,

I understand what you are saying and sorry about any misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to your being bisexual, I was just thinking of my son who has said he is gay when I was saying that in the 80s it was harder to be gay -and as you point out, much harder perhaps to be bixesual - and hopefully easier now.

So far as the word lifestyle: absolutely. But you misread that one, I think. I was saying that we as a family were moving down South for 'lifestyle' reasons - meaning, we weren't moving from Edinburgh because of jobs, just because it's warmer down there! I completely get what you are saying about 'lifestyle' - that would be a very ignorant thing to say about being gay! I do get that.

Yes, Edinburgh is a great city - but the weather's rubbish!:slight_smile:

Many thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Seeking - thank you so much. I will have a think about that. I have a very close relationship with my son and he's home most of the time as he's home-educated and he is usually very open with both me and my husband so hopefully we can maintain transparency. Thanks so much for your advice and perspective about when you were 14 and online.

9. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like an amazing mother and your son is lucky to have you! :slight_smile:

I think I have a different perspective on Skyping than most people seem to. I personally feel Skype video conversations are about as safe as real life conversations. You see that the person is who they say they are but conversations can be recorded (like in real life) so you have to keep that in mind of course. People who live on the other side of the planet are less likely to be able to spread hurtful things about you if they are apt to such behavior, so that is a positive, but it is balanced out by the fact that it is easier for them to lie about other details in their life when you do not know anyone else who can confirm them.

At your son's age, for about a year, my only means of making friends was online, and I would personally have considered it a major invasion of my privacy if my mother had insisted on monitoring my conversations. It would be akin to insisting on always hanging out with your child when they have friends over or going to meet friends so you can make sure they don't talk about things you don't agree with. I did not have any romantic connections online, but had I had them and been monitored without my knowledge I would likely have lost all trust in my mother for good.

That said, you are his mother and you should do what you think is best for him. I only wanted to give my perspective on this as someone who was in a similar albeit not exactly same position to your son's at his age, so you can take that into consideration when making your decision. I think if you do decide to monitor his conversations he absolutely needs to be aware of any monitoring measures you have taken at least, so the transparency goes both ways.

I think you might have misread the "lifestyle" part of Minny's post, where she said they had previously planned on moving to a small town for lifestyle reasons. She did not in any way insinuate that being gay is a lifestyle, she actually specifically said she is aware it is not a choice.

10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No worries, Minny.:slight_smile:

Like I said, I didn't take any offense. You just said some words/phrases that hit hot-button issues for me. Sorry if I inundated you with unnecessary rhetoric. And I apologize for reading more into your post than you actually wrote...

You're a great mom and so thoughtful. But remember you can't always protect your gay son, any more than you can protect the rest of your children in the longrun, he has to ultimately fend for himself. You can only love him unconditionally and support him when he needs it. Which you are clearly doing.

And, I agree about the weather in Edinburgh. It was only partly sunny one day of the week I was there. If it was sunny more often, I think it would be a truly awesome place to live (at least for me)!

Take Care and, again, I wish the best of luck to you and your family!:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 03:43 AM ----------

No worries, Minny.:slight_smile:

Like I said, I didn't take any offense. You just said some words/phrases that hit hot-button issues for me. Sorry if I inundated you with unnecessary rhetoric. And I apologize for reading more into your post than you actually wrote...

You're a great mom and so thoughtful. But remember you can't always protect you gay son, just like the rest of your children, he has to ultimately fend for himself. You can only love him unconditionally and support him when he needs it.

And, I agree about the weather in Edinburgh. It was only partly sunny one day of the week I was there. If it was sunny more often, I think it would be a truly awesome place to live (at least for me)!

Take Care and, again, I wish the best of luck to you and your family!:slight_smile:

#10 Quantumreality, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  11. slickrick

slickrick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You sound like an awesome mum. He's lucky to have you xxx

12. Minny

Thanks so much slickrick for your kind words - that means a lot, it really does.

No problem Quantumreality - I think there was just a misunderstanding there and I appreciate your support, I really do. So far as Edinburgh: I guess you can't have everything!! Hope you got to see the Highlands as they really are something special, even in the rain!

Many thanks HappyGoLucky for your kinds words and your thoughtful response. I think my position on skyping is closest to yours. I could never monitor my son's activity without his knowledge as I agree that would be an invasion of his privacy (though I completely understand if it might be suitable for others - everyone's situation is different). I feel I can trust my son and now that everything is out in the open, I think he will be more transparent.

This morning my husband 'met' his friend on skype (my son has said the boy is not his boyfriend, just his friend) and said hi and so we're happy to leave my son to his own devices now, having warned him about the potential dangers. As you say, one can only go so far before trust is lost and at 14, my son has to have some independence...

Many thanks again - it's very much appreciated. :slight_smile:

13. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Decided to enter the conversation - my daughter is gifted and talented (G&T = Gin and Tonic kid) and she sees a therapist with a lot of experience in supporting G&T kids and their families. Could it be that your sons experience of being bullied and then taken out of school might still weigh very heavily on him? I still have terrible memories of changing schools when I was your son's age and being bullied for six months or more. The therapist my daughter sees does a great job with helping her develop all kinds of strategies for dealing with the challenges of being G&T. And on top of that your son now sees his sexuality as an extra burden. It really sounds like a good therapist could help him a lot.

14. anthracite

anthracite Guest

So if they skype and that other boy looks like 14 and lives nearby they might meet with you attending at first.

The second thing that no one mentioned is about his high IQ. I am very glad that your son is homeschooled. This is the best for people like him. I and my friends belong to the clever kids aswell. It is very important that he learns how to use his abilities and gets some contact to people of his kind. He will be much happier and less isolated. No therapist necessary.

#14 anthracite, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
  15. Minny

Thanks so much Goldensun and anthracite - yes, being home-educated has done wonders for my son's confidence as he was quite traumatised about the bullying. We did see a clinical psychologist at the time for a few sessions and that really helped..

He did have a bit of a melt-down yesterday after telling us he was gay....but thankfully he told us pretty quickly after discovering it for himself and we're so happy he did. But now, only the day after, he seems very contented (if a bit overwhelmed with the emotion of it all) and I think is happy he's found a friend online he can confide in.

I don't think he will be meeting this new friend, however, since we are in Edinburgh and the friend is in NZ! Maybe one day...but hopefully he will eventually meet lots of new people. It has been a challenge for him to find like-minded people because of his very high IQ as I'm sure you both understand only too well. But in a way, his being gay, has opened up a new identity for him and a new way he can connect with others, which can only be a positive thing, I think.

16. ABeautifulMind

First quantumreality, completely agree with the bi prejudice.

Now then, I think you are doing the right things seeking guidance here, and you are getting all the right answers. Just keep being supportive, and make sure he knows he can ask you for anything... like if he wanted to see a psychologist again. Being high IQ he most likely doesnt have an "internal" problem understanding things, but if he is anything like I was (I was GT as a kid as well) he may not fully understand social cues from others how they react. I mean, anyone can have trouble with that obviously, but ni my experience he smartest people usually have the hardest time understanding people, especially their peers... Anyways, like I said, you are doing perfect, I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

17. Minny

Many thank ABeautifulMind for your input.

First let me apologise if I have offended anyone about being bi. I'm not sure where I did that, but in my first post to this forum I was just concentrating on my son who only a few hours before had told me he was gay. He didn't say he was bi, he said he was gay, so that was what I was asking advice about. But again, apologies for causing offence anywhere and I mean that!

Thank you for you insight about 'gifted' kids - that's so interesting that you are gifted also. There seems to be so many gifted people on this forum! I think you are right and my son certainly does not get other people sometimes: but they'll catch up with him one day!:icon_bigg

18. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Minny,

I'm pretty certain that ABeautifulMind was simply agreeing with the short rant I posted on this thread about prejudice against bisexuals. So please don't worry about it!:slight_smile:

As you and I already resolved earlier, you did NOT insult bisexuals in anyway. I misread one of your posts and went off on a tangent, for which I apologized. And I apologize again.

No bad on you. You did not offend anyone.

Take Care. Have a great day!:icon_bigg

#18 Quantumreality, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  19. ABeautifulMind

Yea, see when I was ten my dad had a seizure for the first time, and I explained while the EMT workers were helping him that he was having a seizure or something that was effecting the motor cortex. I had just taken a trip to the University of Houston for a week long seminar on the brain. In 5th grade. But when it came to trying to make sense of how everyone else was behaving, especially my siblings... no chance. I also have Asperger syndrome though, basically high functioning autism, so it was probably a little worse for me than it will be for him. But what worked for me (before I knew I had it) was hanging out with older or younger people. Younger people tend to be blind to social awkwardness and since I could keep up in the conversation with older people pretty much 100%, I guess they overlooked eccentricities or else thought I was a cute kid :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just using that as an example of how I mean he probably understands himself just fine, but may not understand how others respond, especially people outside the family.

Anyways, just wanted to jot that down before I forgot, but now to your comment about bi, I didnt mean that reply to go to you at all... Just like quantum said, I was just commenting on his tangent. On that topic, my biggest complaint is the argument you hear about bi the most. Well that I do at least. Everyone always says your gay and wont admit it. So irritating. You would think they would see how straight people sometimes have a hard time understanding gay people because they have not experienced those feelings/attractions. Then you have gay people, the victim of so much misunderstanding, refusing to accept that maybe they have not experienced how bi people feel, much like straight people do not experience how gay people feel.

Lastly, once again, your an awesome mom. The world would be a far better place with more moms like you. In fact I can honestly say my mom is the reason I am not out of the closet. My dad is awesome. He cant keep secrets though. Seriously. He as diagnosed with brain cancer shortly after that seizure and now his memory is so bad he cant keep track of who knows what, so he frequently spoils surprises. This is one I wont risk him spoiling and outing me, albeit accidentally. All that to say, I wish my mom was a lot more like you :wink:

20. Minny

Thanks Quantumreality - that's good to know and have a lovely day yourself!

Thanks ABeautifulMind for your message. First let me say I'm so sorry to hear what your dad has been through and by extension, on that issue, what you've been through. I do hope he is as well as possible at the moment.

Secondly, I am very sorry indeed to hear about your mother's narrow-mindedness. I find it very hard to understand how a mother can be like that to her own son but it's obviously very common to be so prejudiced. My own mother was not good so I can well imagine how deeply the rejection (or the anticipated rejection if you came out to her) hurts and how painful it must be for you to not come out because of her.

Is it imperative that you have her acceptance? I had to cut my mother out pretty early on for different reasons, and a happy life can still be had without one's mother - though it is a sad and drastic step. It helps if you have a supportive partner of course and/or good friends.

Thanks for explaining about the difficulty you had making sense of how others were behaving - my son isn't quite like that. He is just highly gifted so can make sense of others pretty well. The problem is he doesn't get to meet many people on his level - yet....He does like talking to adults too and seems to get on with younger kids also, so you and he have that in common, certainly!

Yes, I absolutely understand the difficulties of being bi - you get the lack of understanding from both sides and that is a very lonely position to be in. I do feel for you.

Thanks so much for your lovely comments about being a good mum. I do appreciate it very much. If I can help in any way, just ask - I'm just so sorry to hear about your mum.