1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandchildren

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Scorpio1024, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Scorpio1024

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It seems a new issue has arose when it comes to my relationship with my mom. I'm her only daughter and she wants grandkids. Already, it bothered her when I said I didn't want to give birth myself when she thought I was straight. Now she sees it as her never having grandchildren because I'm gay.

2. Goldensun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Scorpio1024

You're mum obviously has some problems with accepting the reality of who you are. She probably needs more time to sort her own feelings out.
    But at the same time, her wish to have grandkids is her wish. And you are not responsible for making it come true. If she's making you feel guilty, tell her to stop. Parents can be very manipulative and that's simply bad parenting. Call her out on it.
    And you're only 15, not even you can say what's going to happen in the next 20 years. When I was a teenager and in my 20's I was convinced I'd never have kids, but here I am a single gay dad of two beautiful daughters and I love being a parent.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given that gay people can have kids, can adopt kids, can marry and have families - the only real question is: do you think you might want to have kids some day? Or do you already know you don't?

It is an understandable reaction of mothers who realize their dream of having grandchildren may not happen now. They need to go through their own grieving process and that takes time too. Just be gentle with her and she'll be ok. Of course, if you do think you want children some day, let her know that.