1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adult son gay? Risky Behavior

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by ilovemykids, Oct 7, 2016.

1. ilovemykids

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello everyone.

If you'd have said last week that I'd be here today, I'd have thought it impossible. Yet, here I am, trying to figure out how I can continue being the best Mom I can to my 19-year-old son. I though I had it easy with him - yet I believe I underestimated!

Last week, I mistakenly found email correspondence to and from my son that shared his desires for other men, along with several photos of my son. When I say I mistakenly found it - I did. My son is in college several states away. I needed some information he had in an email and logged into his account to get it. He knows I do this, and I told him I had. He was fine with it. I have his passwords - we've never had a reason to hide from each other.

That was that. Then, I was logging into my email last week, which has the same provider, and his email account came up first as still logged in - that's when I saw the emails. I was absolutely shocked -- emails that were M4M, with details.

So, on one level, I have my son who is tramping around on a social site for cheap meetups with strangers. He is a college student with a girlfriend. He studies all the time - so much he doesn't have that part-time job we need him to have! And yet, he finds time to sneak around behind her back and do what?!?!?!

If I had found these emails to and for women, I'd have confronted him, adult or not. If he's going to tramp around, he can ditch the girlfriend at least, and don't be a sleaze. The Mom in me is afraid for his safety, both for STDs and creepy people.

Yet, they weren't to or for women, so now it's a whole other realm and something I don't know how to deal with at all. If he's gay, then I can deal with that. As a family, (he's the oldest of six) we are very supportive of anything that happens with our children. We make the best if it that we can. If he's gay, then I shudder that he choosing to experience it this way. There must be a better way! Does he actually think we would not accept him enough to welcome home anyone he brings us? I have to ensure him, somehow, that we will accept anyone he is with, as long as he is safe and cared about.

My husband and I are in marriage counseling (regular crud from 20 years of marriage, I guess) and we brought it up to the therapist. Both she and my husband - his Dad - consider this might just be a "phase." He'll work through it. I don't buy that at all. My husband went through one of these "phases" last year - got on a social site to find men to meet. I found out by a midnight text from a "friend" of his. Part of the reason we are in counseling. DH swears it was boredom, says it could be the same for our son.

I feel like I'm going crazy, surrounded by people coming out of the closet. I can process my son being gay - won't process my husband being bi. And cannot accept either of them soliciting sex from 18-50 year olds.

The soliciting part, I realize, is not a gay thing and I am not confused here. It's just a deviant thing. So, two very separate issues that are feeding each other. I am so confused and sad I really don't know where to start. Except, I won't be logging into his email account anymore, even when I do need something. Part of me is glad I know because I think he is in danger with his methods. And the other part of me is drowning in too much information.

Any help?

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey ilovemykids, welcome to EC!

After reading your post, all I could say was: oy vey!

First off, most of us here are in total agreement with you: this is NOT a "phase" (whatever that means). This is something very real and very persistent. Your husband may call it boredom, but why choose this particular thing to get rid of it?

This is not to say your son may not be bisexual, which exists, is absolutely real and may or may not be a transition into being fully gay.

If you have the (quite commendable!) attitude that his being less-than-straight is ok and you are willing to accept and support him, then why hesitate to confront him when you would have done so if it were a girl?

Imagine a world where a guy dating a guy or a girl is absolutely normal, if your son is behaving badly, would you hesitate then? He is an adult now, which complicates matters, so you need to treat him like an adult son, with all due respect to his right to choose how to live his life, but with the responsibility you have as someone who loves him more than anyone else on this planet (apart from his father).

Start a heart-to-heart conversation with him, banish all distractions and look him in the eyes (this is very important). State simply that you saw something on the e-mail that you have access to, and leave it at that for a moment. By seeing each other, face-to-face, he will see your concern, and you will be able to gauge his discomfort and possible embarrassment. Don't let that deter you, simply look him in the eyes and remind him that you are available to talk and that you have some serious concerns.

It may not work at first, but you may find that he may open up to you later. Even if it doesn't work right away, keep trying, and try, as much as possible, to meet him half-way if he isn't willing to open up about everything.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

First, your son is really lucky to have you as a caring and supportive parent. So many parents aren't so supportive and it makes things so much more difficult for them.

Second, I agree with you and with Greatwhale... it's highly unlikely this is a "phase." More likely, your therapist and husband are using this as a means of denial or bargaining (see below.) But it is also quite possible that he, himself, is in the process of figuring that out... as we process any loss (in this case, loss of perception of straight), there are phases we go through... denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance, and he may well be in the bargaining phase ("OK, I like guys, but I can still end up with a girl") and so not ready to let go of his girlfriend.

Now... I'm 100% with you that it's incredibly wrong and insensitive and uncaring for him to do that to his girlfriend. And I'm also confident those aren't the values you raised him with, which is probably part of why you're having such a strong reaction to it. And the challenge here is... he undoubtedly knows that as well, likely feels really shitty and shameful about it, and is trying to reconcile it.

So one step I'd invite you to do is to take a step back, take a deep breath, and accept that he's imperfect. I seriously doubt that he's proud or even comfortable with the fact that he's sneaking around behind his girlfriend's back. More likely, he is trying to figure himself out, and undoubtedly is judging himself as harshly (more likely more harshly) than anyone else is. Shame is a HUGE deal for people in the coming out process, and one of the reasons that depression and numbing behaviors (drinking, acting out sexually, drugs, overeating, etc) are at epidemic levels among gay teens and young adults. So what he needs more than anything else is compassion, empathy and support.

I think if you reread what you've written above, you'll see that intertwined with your compassion, caring, and acceptance of who he is, there's also some pretty harsh judgment about the choices he's made. I can almost guarantee that, were I in the same position, I'd have the same "first thought" as you're having. And don't forget that you are going through the same 5 stages of loss as well. What's important here is... as long as you're holding those judgmental thoughts in your head, it's going to come out, unconsciously or otherwise, in what you say to him, or how you act around him. So before you speak to him, take some time and really think about the struggle he's going through, and try and put yourself where he is. Perhaps you'd make different choices, but... maybe not. Each of us have different coping mechanisms.

The bottom line here is... it's really clear that you love and care about him deeply and want him to be a person of authenticity, integrity, and to be happy and successful. And it's very likely, given what he's been raised with, that he'll get there. The best way you can help him is to remind him that you love him and support him no matter what, and encourage him to talk about what he's feeling, if not with you than with someone who can help him... there is likely free counseling at his college, and coming-out issues are among the most common of college experiences, so there will be lots of other options as well. EC is also a great resource so you can point him here. But the important thing is to stay connected as best you can, do your best to stay out of judgment, and remind him that you care and love him exactly as he is. :slight_smile:

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello ilovemykids!

Thank you for being such an open and thoughtful parent!

Normally, I am totally against confronting someone about their sexuality, as a general rule. However, in this instance, I agree with greatwhale – and especially the approach that he advocates – about talking to your son about this directly.

I advocate it in this instance because:
    - You weren’t snooping (you have legitimate access to his accounts and his email just came up still logged on in this instance)
    - You have a legitimate parental concern about his health and welfare; regardless of the fact that he’s an adult, he’s still your son
    - You said you would have confronted him about this behavior if these emails were to and from women, so why should the same-sex aspect hold you back?

I would think that if you started a conversation with your son about this issue while coming from the standpoint of your concerns about his safety, the possibility of getting STIs through risky behavior, and the very real possibility of physical harm if he hooked up with the ‘wrong’ or shady-type of character on the internet, I think that would hopefully keep the conversation ‘real’ and not confrontational.

I also think Chip's point about stepping back for a bit first and not approaching this with any judgmental attitude is spot-on.

On a side-note, I also completely agree with greatwhale that this isn’t simply a ‘phase’ for your son.

He may not identify as gay or even bi (labels are artificial anyway), but there are men who live happily in heterosexual relationships, but occasionally desire sexual contact with other men, while never having romantic feelings or the possibility of an actual relationship with other men. And your husband's description of such behavior in himself (and your son) seems rather simplistic and more like an excuse to avoid really exploring his feelings and sexuality, but it may actually be how he reconciles it in his own mind.

I hope all of this turns out positively for both you and your son!

Just my 2cents.:slight_smile:

#4 Quantumreality, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes to confronting your son there is already plenty of advice above me so I'm not going to address that. The part of the message that stood out to me was

Why are you willing to process that your son may be gay/bi, but not willing to process that your husband my be bi? If your husband is bi it wouldn't mean that he loves you any more/less than a straight guy loves his wife.

Soliciting sex is not a deviant thing it is a human thing, the only reason people have problems with it is because for some reason the western society has made it taboo to even say the word sex. I understand that meeting people that you meet online is dangerous but other than that most people on the planet like sex, and having sex (even with multiple partners) does not make you a deviant.

#5 redneck, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. ilovemykids

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello, Again;

Thank you everyone who gave such supportive advice for my family. I really appreciate your understanding of my naivety in this, and have forgiven most of my prejudicial behavior.

As you all recognized, I want what's best for my son, and only he can know what that is. I want him to be safe and happy in getting there, as any parent would. Stretching the mind enough to allow him to decide for himself is a lot simpler said then done. I think part of a child growing up is a parent growing up, too, and letting go little-by-little so that, when the child reaches adulthood, both parent and child can handle it!

The reason, as you all asked, I hesitate to confront him about this, and said I already would have if he was chasing women in this manner, is that I assume he is uncomfortable with me knowing this preference about him. He has always been "straight," with a girlfriend or female love interest here and there, and has never indicated otherwise. This leads me to believe he is not comfortable telling me now.

I have know personally only a few gay men, and all have had difficulty with the "coming out" part. Some succeeded. Another man I know actually moved out of state to avoid telling his parents. He is out in his new life, but not with family. I figure my son falls somewhere in the middle here. I don't want to scare him, intimidate him, embarrass him, with something he's not ready to tell me. I don't know what he thinks about this information - is he comfortable being attracted to men, or is he scared? Or is he even a bit homophobic of his own desires?

So, that's why I am intimidated by confronting him - not knowing if he's ready, and fairly certain he's not. I now look back over our life and remember all the dumb, insensitive comments I've made, and have no wonder why he'd be afraid to tell me! There's all those social stigmas straight people can assume, think are funny, etc. that just don't seem very funny anymore.

I know - grow up - I'm the Mom.

For the poster who asked why I'd be OK with my son being gay/bi, but not my husband, that's a whole other realm, and I don't want to confuse the subject here too much. Yet, I guess it stems from just wanting a monogamous relationship with my husband - not something I have when he's acting on his bi side. And, a lack of trust because I can never satisfy that part of him, being as I'm not a man. I'd be OK with it if he was monogamous, I guess. As a woman, I'm fairly certain he's attracted enough to me that he won't seek another woman. As for his attraction to men, I fail, obviously. He loves me yes, but this with him is not about love. It's about desire.

Thank you, again, for the thoughtful advice. I will take it.

7. faustian1

Hi Mom, I know you love your son. It is kind of below-par for him to be scheduling hookups with guys (or anyone) if he keeps it from his girlfriend....

That aside, this is kind of what I remember from college. I'm a geezer, but the memories don't fade. Just about "anything that moves" is a way to describe the sexual interests of a lot of college students.

I don't know why you don't ask him. He knows you have the password. Here's how I'd put it: "(son), go easy on your old mom. It's probably not good for me to read your quest for a blow job from some jock..." Or something similar. Perhaps the issue is that you've not really had any talks about sex, to this point. Hard to start, when he's in college. But it's an almost irresistible opportunity to start, right there.

I wouldn't be all that judgmental about it. I read a story in a reputable newspaper (which doesn't count for much these days) that suggested today's millennial students in colleges look at serial hookups as being dating. It claimed that they don't as often want commitment. I don't know whether to believe this, but census.gov is full of statistics showing the marriage and fertility rates have both fallen, the latter to 1930's levels.

If I had my way, I'd suggest you criticize him less for hooking up with guys, than for having that girlfriend in the first place. This forum is full of tales of woe from men who married women, but then couldn't suppress their desire for men. And what he's doing is probably safe, just as long as he follows some proper advice from the CDC. If you really want to shock him, why not try encouraging him to be gay, instead of having that girlfriend? You don't necessarily have to be serious, but it sure would get the conversation started.

#7 faustian1, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  8. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A lot of good comments above. Re-reading your initial post though, I'll go one step further. In addition to that couples counselling, do you have access to an individual therapist of some sort? To process all this in a productive fashion? It could be very sad and destructive to your relationship with your son if that love and concern for him translated itself instead into some shame storm prompted by sympathy for the innocent girlfriend resulting from a possible view of similarities of your own marital challenges and situation.

Always reminds me of that airline safety training drill: In the event of an incident, put your own oxygen mask on first, before assisting other passengers.

9. Minny

Hi ilovemykids,

As a (female, straight) parent of a 14 year old son who has just recently come out, I thought I'd offer my observations.

I do think that at 19, your son is living his life as he sees fit and that you may have your views on it but he's old enough now to behave as he wishes. It may sadden you that he is cheating on his girlfriend and in your situation I probably would tell my son, that this is not right, but he probably knows that already! Cheating is cheating, whatever your sexual persuasion, in my book. However, as someone else has written, this is not uncommon behaviour - though that doesn't make it right.

What jumped out from your post, however, was that there is a good chance, since your son has given you his log-in details, that he wanted you to find those emails. Perhaps that's his way of coming out to you? I don't think at 19 he is going to mind you saying: look, you know I log-in to your account since you have given me your password, and I now know you're gay or bi; I'm happy about it and I'm here for you.

I completely understand your worry about safety and STDs etc. This is only natural as a parent and there's no harm in directing him to a safe sex website. You can't always assume that young people know this information since sex education - at least in the UK - only ever teaches about straight sex.

As for your husband and his 'phase' idea. I don't buy it for either of them. First, put yourself in your husband's situation. Is this something you think you would do? Hook up with women out of boredom? It doesn't make sense. And I don't think at 19 this is 'a phase' for your son. That implies that it is an 'aberration' from the norm. It really doesn't matter who your son sleeps with -though, again, to cheat on his girlfriend, imo, isn't right.

The issue about your husband is that he has cheated on you and that is something which is very painful to bear whether he did so with a man or a woman: it's the deception which hurts, I'm sure.

Best of luck to you. x

10. guitar

If he's running around with guys, it almost certainly is not a phase. Whether he's bi, or just with the girlfriend for appearances sake (I've been there so I get it) remains to be seen. I could probably phrase this better, but you seldom try dick out of curiousity and decide you don't like it. If he's seeking out guys, he probably has more than just a fleeting attraction. He probably doesn't quite know how to cope socially with bring gay & having friends and family perceive you differently. It can be difficult to deal with even for those of us in incredibly gay-friendly areas and with accepting friends and families.

Like you, there are 2 parts of this that really bother me. The first is him running around on his girlfriend. HUGE no-no. Not only is it ethically wrong, but he can pass on STDs to her, especially if he isn't practicing straight sex with these guys he's meeting up with.

The second part is the whole closet aspect. Everyone needs time to work through coming to terms with their sexuality in their own way. Like your son, I struggled with it into my early twenties, and kept up a girlfriend that I liked very much, but I wasn't "into" her. If your son is gay, that's probably the case with him as well. After my lady girlfriend and I split, I fooled around while still way in the closet. A lot of people need time to experiment,but also it's a way to interact with other gay people without having to walk into a gay bar and having 100 other people immediately know you're gay.

As far as what you should do, it's really hard to say. My mom tried to confront me about the gay thing before I was ready to talk, and I just shut down and denied everything. He may do the same. At the same time, his girlfriend deserves to know something is up. You're between a rock and a hard place. What I would absolutely do is mention positive things about gay people. If a story is in the news, mention you would be fine with having a gay son. Maybe offer to take your kids to pride. Do any of your kids have gay friends who are out? That will make it easier for him to come out.

11. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

I didn't read everything everyone else said, so apologies, but

i definitey think he might believ you wont accept him. He might be having trouble acceptin himself

internet dating sites are kind of tricky for gays - the community is lopsided. its much easier to find people lookng for the kind of cheap stuff you found in the emails than meaningful relationships. so for anyone in the closet - a lot of times they end up in those circles, whether they would under normal circumstances or not. That does not mean its healthy

I think you need to find a loving way to approach your son to help him

He needs to know its OK to be gay

and at least be safe coming out with you

he may be bi or gay, i dunno. this is definitely the time for him to be exploring it though

i dont know how you want to tell him - just make sure you let him know its TOTALLY OK and that you love and accept him completely, and want to support and encourage him anyway he needs. I would also let him know if he isn't ready to be out, that you wil keep his secret until he is. Maybe buy him some books or gifts or a rainbow flag, anything tangible that he can see and hold onto to know that you accept and support his homosexuality.

I would also open the door to invite further interactions, whether just talking or support stuff, like going to PFLAG or pride events or something, to continue the connection on the issue of support

you have to realize he must have known for years, and has been hiding it from you. This needs to heal for him - not just hiding from you, but that he has been hiding. He needs a lot of love and support for this. Take care!!

12. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ilovemykids,

First, you are the awesome mom I wish I had come out to! I love my mom so much, but my coming out (in 1995) was so, so, difficult by comparison. You're already so much more aware, so much more compassionate, and so much more unconditionally loving than my family was at the time. First, thank you for choosing love despite a few challenges.

As you look back over your son's growing up, did he encounter homophobic comments or stigma from the family? You mentioned regretting things said in ignorance years ago. Although you recognize these comments as ignorant now, they likely gave your son a message that he would not be accepted. Today, your son is likely shaped by those comments, as unintentional as they were, and he could likely be hiding this part of himself as a result.

I think you might want to open up to your son. As QuantumReality pointed out, you had an agreement with your son that the credentials for the email were shared, and therefore you were not snooping. In my opinion it's worth it since your son may be at a crossroads of determining how he wants to be as a potentially non-straight man.

I would bring it up gently and without judgment. Perhaps you could apologize for the homophobic or intolerant comments you made in the past, and ask him if there's anything he wants to talk about. I'm not sure exactly how I would do this, but I do think you can open the dialogue by acknowledging that in the past there were insensitive comments. This would hopefully create a more comfortable environment for him to open up.

As for your son's behavior, he may be acting out of a low sense of self. If he is ashamed of having sex with men, he would not presume that introducing you to a stable boyfriend would be "okay". He also would likely assume that you would only want to be introduced to his girlfriend, so until now his assumption may have been that men were "off the menu" for a true relationship. This may change once you talk.

Generally, one of my learning experiences coming out (I'm 43, been out now for over 20 years) is to understand that sexuality often falls on a spectrum of complete homosexuality to complete heterosexuality. Your son (and your husband) might be bisexual. They may even have an attraction romantically and emotionally, and another sexually or physically. To me this can be challenging because it's considered taboo by mainstream society, and because we are often more comfortable with absolutes than messy shades of gray.

In summary, if I were in your position, I would:

- Open up to your son to address former remarks of a homophobic or insensitive nature. Apologize, disclaim, or otherwise deal with these former remarks as appropriate.
    - Remind him that you have agreed to share an email account, and let him know that you accidentally found some sensitive emails.
    - Welcome a discussion, and consider asking him who he is and who he wants to be.

In closing, I think that you're absolutely right in that respect is the cornerstone of any good relationship. Hopefully you can help your son come out of shame and start having relationships of integrity.

Much love,

Patrick
    Seattle, WA