1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about hysterectomy if any of you moms or tg men have had it.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Oct 11, 2016.

1. tgboymom

Hi folks,

A friend of mine today told me that if i don't get Jake's uterus removed that he can get cancer from not shedding. Mind you, he hasn't had a period in almost 2 years, and before that his periods were lasting 3 and 4 months at a time. I waited until he was fully grown to put him on birth control to stop it and after the the anemia was much better as well. He no longer needed the RX Iron.

I haven't had time to research this yet.. so I'm wondering if any of you who have not had your uterus removed are having problems?

Thanks once again...
    Nervous mom

2. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, have you taken him to a gynecologist? They need to check his reproductive tract, plus blood tests to determine if a hysterectomy is required or not.
    If he has taken birth control for a period of time, it is a must for him to have regular check up. Since it is a chemical compund that interacts with our body cells, it has some side effects that we need to consider. Take him to experts. :slight_smile:

Best of luck!

3. Lora

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Take him to the doctor asap!

4. tgboymom

First, I want to thank you for your quick response.

Ohhhhhhhh.. yes yes yes. When he was 18, we started with a very low dose birth control to stop the excessive bleeding. He had a complete physical at that point. He was living in Florida at the time and by the time he was 21, we couldn't have him on our insurance, but Planned Parenthood did the pelvic, pap, blood tests and tested for all std's really inexpensively. They continued to rx the birth control and once a year he had to get checked ... pelvic, pap, breast exam, bloodwork.. etc

About 3 years ago, he stopped taking the birth control AMA, but didn't have the same problem. That's when he began to come out about being Trans. So it took forever for me to get the info, but people here told me about informed consent clinics so I found the nearest one... which was in Nashville. Still pretty far but worth the ride. Again, they gave him pap, pelvic, breast exam, blood studies AND rx'd the testosterone. He had to go back every three months to get blood studies to check the hormone levels. Almost 1 year to the day that he began the testosterone, he went to PP in Nashville for the yearly checkup and they found what they thought might be breast cancer, so although they wrote the order for the tests, he had to get it done as ordered through his PCP in his state because he has Obama Care. He had the ultrasound and mammogram and by the grace of God, he was clear.

We told the surgeon who was giving him the mastectomy, and she told us that she would send the entire lump to the pathologist just to be sure.... and .. so far so good. I mean... we've ALWAYS been on the kid's healthcare.

What I am worried about is the future! Granted, this friend of mine kinda thinks she knows everything but she said that she didn't get a period for 3 years and her doctor scheduled her for a D&C right away because a person can get cancer if they don't shed the lining. I'm not even sure that my kid will get a lining. He's taking testosterone, there hasn't been a period in nearly 2 years .

This is just something I've never heard of and was wondering if anyone has heard of this. WE'll do what we have to do..... but I didn't think it was a good idea to remove a healthy organ.. yanno?

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 07:00 PM ----------

What should I ask for? He had a pelvic three months ago and a mammogram before the surgery on the 29th of Sept.

He's not having a period.. of course... that's the point of the hormones. Should I just say.... I heard that not having a period can cause cancer? I feel like an idiot here. I've just never heard of this.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 07:13 PM ----------

ARE THERE ANY TG GUYS HERE WHO HAVE BEEN TAKING TESTOSTERONE FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME? Can you tell me what you know about it!

I can't get Jake out for another few weeks (recovering from the top surgery), and his insurance won't work in our state. I'd love to whip out the money but the credit cards had to be maxed out for the surgery. If this is that urgent, I've got china and crystal that can be sold if we could sell it fast enough!

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not a trans man, but from what I understand this is not an emergency situation and a decision does not have to be made right now, especially at his age, so don't worry. A quick Google found this link which seems to cover this topic pretty in-depth. Hope that helps alleviate your fears a bit. :slight_smile:

6. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well cancerous cells don't develop right away if there is an accumulation of endometrial cells in the uterus. But it is a possibility bcs cancer cells are unpredictable. And have you heard of endometriosis? It's just one of the many possible problems that female reproductive organs could suffer from.

You said he has a regular check up, then there's nothing to worry, provided that he maintains a healthy lifestyle. Stay away from all processed food, it could mess up with his hormones.

If you are considering an elective surgery in the future, bring it up on the next general check up. I know you're worried about the future, and I salute you for thinking ahead! Prevention is always better than cure.

#6 Hushhh, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There hasn't been any research that proves trans men are more at risk of getting uterus cancer than anyone else.

Doctors will recommend a hysterectomy regardless because they feel like it's unnecessary to keep it if you're not going to use it (thus, eliminating the risk entirely). Your son won't necessarily get cancer if he keeps it.

If he keeps it, it is recommended to get it checked about once every three year. You can even do it once every year. Apart from that, keeping his uterus makes him prone to get cramps, even if he doesn't have any periods. Sure, not every trans guy has that, but I do have them. He should not be surprised if that happens. I've also heard of occasional spotting, though I haven't experienced that myself. The last thing is that he can still get pregnant, so he should be careful about that if he wants to avoid it.

Really, that's it. No need to worry too much about it. Doctors will only tell you that because they rather be safe than sorry, but your son is not doomed if he keeps it.

I've been on testosterone for two years and I still have mine. I haven't had any problems with it.

8. tgboymom

Ty... I'm on my way to read it.

9. tgboymom

OH MANNNNNNNNNNN.... you still get cramps!!!! WOW! I assumed Jake's cramps went away because of the T. PS... they recently upped his dosage and he couldn't take it for 2 weeks before the surgery (surgeon's orders), and just had his 2nd dose since the surgery. I was a tad concerned, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Even the hair they shaved off of his chest is already coming back.

I've been doing some reading and I'm feeling more at ease. I'm going to speak with his surgeon when we take him back on the 21st and ask what she thinks.

So far, no spotting and he's be on the T since July 2015 (about the time I joined this site.. that's how I found out how to get it for him). So that's about 15 months.

We've had the pregnancy talk. I know.. he's a little old to have this talk with me, but I wanted to know where his head was at and that he was continuing to be cautious. At this point in his life, he has no interest in raising a child and I know they are taking precautions, but we ALL know that NOTHING is foolproof. Hell, I had a tubal ligation and got pregnant a year later!

Thank you for the input! Lord, I hope those cramps go away.. :frowning2:

10. tgboymom

Yes.. my sister had endometriosis, another sister had cervical cancer that became uterine cancer.

Also, yes... I've been taking him to an obgyn since I first suspected he was sexually active... around 16. That doctor gave him birth control pills because of the excessive bleeding. I took him to his pediatrician later that week to talk about this and I showed him the pills. He took them from me and threw them in the trash. He made sense. The child wasn't done growing yet and although there isn't any definitive proof that a low dose birth control can alter anything, we thought the best thing to do was deal with the long periods and counter the blood loss with RX strength iron. When he was hmm.. 18 or 19, I took him to a different obgyn for his yearly checkup and to deal with the periods. He was on a very low dose birth control for several years until they stopped making them. The new pill was a tad stronger. He stayed on that one for a couple of years (of course, he had to get a pap yearly to get the rx). About 3 years ago he decided to stop taking them. He was almost 27. I wanted him to consult a doctor but he wanted to see what would happen. He started getting regular periods, but very very light. After he went on the T, he hasn't had one since. Of course, Planned Parenthood wouldn't RX anything without regular blood work, pelvic and breast exam.

Mind you, my kid left home at around 21 and moved to Florida..... then moved with his partner to Kentucky! The only thing I could do was say "it's time" make an appointment and pay over the phone with a c/c. He does it to appease me. For instance: Diabetes runs in my family. My father died at 42, Type I, my brother died at 51, Type II, all my uncles were Type I and died in their 30's and 40's, I am 54 and I'm Type II so NATURALLY, I want the kid checked. He actually told the doctor, can you order an Hga1c to make my mother happy. :lol: His BS was excellent. His cholesterol is a tad high but we're working on it with proper nutrition, exercise and fish oil. He's very motivated now that he's had the surgery so I'll go over proper form without weights before he leaves to go back to KY. I'll write him up a routine. He's got some equipment in his garage and the apartment complex has a pretty nice gym too!!!

I'm anti-processed foods.. including deli meats .. of course.. I'm a diabetic so he's getting LOTS of home cooking with non-gmo, organic veggies and carefully selected proteins. I'm trying to teach him a weight lifter's diet while he's here so when he goes home in a few weeks, he can get the sweet potatoes and brown rice and do the chicken like I showed him.. you know what I mean. Hey.. if he is gonna lift, he has to feed the muscles. I explained how it all worked and gave him reference material. Oh... I started off as a gymnast throughout my childhood and into my 20's, then went to weight lifting.. so I learned a lot over the years. My illness prevents me from doing any serious lifting, but I have really cool treadmill and lifecycle that the kid can use while he's here to get some good cardio going on. (I have RA... so lifting started becoming an issue a few years ago).

Anyway... this is turning into a book! :lol: Thank you for your response and for the reminder about nutrition. I'm a freak about that because I was raised in the era of instant foods and white flour and I know first hand what that can do to him!!

Be Blessed!
    The (not as stressed) mom! (*hug*)

11. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow can I have you as my mom too? Hahaha You're a health conscious and a cool one too!

Oh I'm sorry to hear that you have RA, hope you are doing fine and not so much pain.

Anyway, just remind him to have a regular pelvic exam or a pap's smear since he is also sexually active. Grrrh i also need to do that myself. Hehe.
    God bless!

#11 Hushhh, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  12. tgboymom

Ok.. the SMOTHER in me is about to come out. GO TO THE DOCTOR! I never liked it either, but for the few moments of discomfort, I got the comfort of knowing that nothing was rotting and falling off.. yanno?

I have my "days" with the RA. I get pissed because I don't have the ability I used to have. Let's put it this way.... I take no hormones.. it's just me.. and the last time I really lifted was at 50 years old and I was flat benching 225, leg press 550... and now I get scared to lift a gallon of milk. Soooooooooo pain meds offer a better quality of life, but I'll never get that back. My kid wants my tri's. I was like... hey.. I had to work for these babycakes.. they weren't genetic!! LOL