1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just found out my brother is gay - need advice!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by nova, Mar 27, 2009.

1. nova

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi ive just found out that my brother is gay. he came out to me just yesterday. hes only 14 and i'm the only person in the world he's felt comfortable talking to about it. i'm very close to my brother and absolutly accept his sexuality and was absolutly blown away by his courage to talk about it. he also confided in me that harboring this secret has caused him to have suicidal thoughts, he also said he really wants councelling which i think would really help but there might be along waiting list and i want advice on what to do to help him now. i personally think telling our parents would help him and i absolutly believe they would accept it but i obviously realise that just telling me was extremely hard for him let alone telling our parents. i'm not going to tell our parents for him because its something he needs to do himself when he's ready.

i absolutly adore my brother and i know personally what its like to have suicidal thoughts, its really hard and can lead to more than just thoughts sometimes. being female, though, means i can't really relate to what he could possibly be going through as regards his sexuality and i was hoping someone on here could advise me as to what to do or definitly not do if you get what i mean...

2. fallendream

welcome to ec,

dont tell his parents because he should do that.

ask any questions you want here.

3. Greggers

If he is 14 he is old enough to come onto this site himself :slight_smile: That way he can ask any and all questions himself and wont need to rely only on you for support.

As for what you should do, i would just tell him "I may not fully understand or get everything that is going on with you, but i love you so much and fully accept whatever it is you are. I will always be here to listen and comfort you" not word for word, but along those lines :slight_smile:

4. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Interduse him to EC...maybe this website can help him cop with his sexuality...ill help him cause i know exactly how it feels to be scared about the sexuality i choose at a young age...so he has soeone he can relate to!

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First, don't tell the parents. You can offer to be there with him when he does it, or to help him with planning it, but don't take it on yourself to do it for him.

The best you can do is put yourself out there, make sure he knows that he can talk to you without you revealing his secrets or criticizing him. I can vouch for the younger people and say he's probably certain about his sexuality, but he still needs someone he can talk to without boundaries. You can show him EC if you want, but he may not feel comfortable trying to be honest and open on a website his sibling is a part of.

6. Mestiz0

Yeah please, show him this site, that way we can all help him directly. It's best that way :slight_smile:

And PLEASE, DO NOT tell his parents...that would only mess up the relationship between you two. He is trusting you with his biggest secret. You can't break that trust by telling ANYONE. He will have to come to it on his own terms.

7. Greggers

Just going to add in...

Dont worry guys, her first post had "i'm not going to tell our parents for him because its something he needs to do himself when he's ready." in it, so shes not about to scream it from the rooftop im sure :wink:

8. fallendream

id also like to point out that im 14 and i came out to everyone in the last few months.

so im in almost the same boat as him.

9. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    even better...you know what its like then...and did this site help you?

10. Just Adam

wellcome and its good your bro was able to come out to you i agree with others he has to tell your parents its an important thing and also introduce him here it will help him its really helped me enjoy it here :slight_smile:

11. fallendream

yes. somethings i found out for myself.

12. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    even better!!!

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    nova............ Your brother is very lucky to have a sister like you! I can tell from your post that you are going to love and accept your brother for who he is. He has a great ali in you!

I would simply tell your brother that you will be by his side when he feels like the time is right to tell your parents. I know its a hard secret to keep, but it will mean the world to him to know he can trust you.

You can learn more about sexual orientation yourself by doing some reading. It will help your brother when he does come out if you have all the facts. PM me if you need some help with resources.

14. Thisisnew

Hi you should tell him about EC it's helped me a lot theres tons of people here to help him and have felt the same way.I love EC maybe he would to. :slight_smile:

15. waitingsucks

You're like the best sister in the world and firstly should be proud of yourself for supporting him.

I think it's important to let him tell your parents himself, that's a good idea.

I think that you can support him just by letting him know he can talk to you about anything and maybe you could talk about your experience(s) in coming out etc.

Yeah, I agree with you that it's really hard to know 100% what he's going through I suggest reading some resources (which as becky has already said, she can provide you with) and maybe if you try to remember how you felt at the time he's going through now it might help to associate better. what you've done so far is great though

16. Justindee13

just be there with him be supportive and try to help along the way.