1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling so helpless and scared--what to do now?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by CleosMom, Dec 16, 2016.

1. CleosMom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi there. I am feeling momentarily hopeful that I found this forum..so thank you! and feel lucky to even be able to share about what has been happening with my poor daughter, and with our family. My 14 year old daughter--new in high school--always has led her life in an out of the box way... -- smart, vibrant, funny, suffering no fools gladly...with intensely cool a-typical interests (think French history, travel, Lord Byron) recently became desperately sad, and sullen, and angry and rageful. Lashing out at her family, hurting her little brother. hissing when she speaks...if she speaks at all or even lets you look her in the eye... Losing interest in what few friends she had, refusing any offers to hang out, and even school which used to inspire her--failing her favorite subjects. she spent hours upon hours hunched over her phone and laptop. Doing what? Nothing much, mom. Texting my camp friends. Reading stuff. Finally...finding her hunched over her phone at 3 am -- with so little sleep she could barely function--we took her phone. What we discovered on that phone was an online love affair--with a girl three years older--whom she had met through Tumblr. The texts ranged from very loving, where they call eachother "my wife" to sexual with a little S&M thrown in, with the older girl telling her to do things sexually to herself and "obey" her. UM-OMFG! So we confronted her...many tears later...she tells us how much she loves this girl, but knew we wouldn't approve )never even given a chance to approve) the girl is 'non-binary"...her parents cant know...total mayhem sadness and ugliness ensued...We said "wow, Cleo! you are gay. we will help you. we love you no matter what, but we think that perhaps your first love should be with someone you have actually met in person!" She screamed, and still does "I AM NOT GAY!! I AM NOT GAY!! I AM NOT GAY!" we tell her--you do not need to label yourself! You are only 14. Love whomever you want! but let's make it a healthy, open love. Not a dark dirty secret that you cut off the whole world for. We asked her to stop communicating with the girl for a little bit while we get a handle on everything. She is/was so unstable..grades slipping...despair setting in. the girl was relentless trying to reach her--hysterical--at losing Cleo..they devised more secret ways to communicate. I asked Cleo to just please be open with us about it..we limited her phone usage...but nothing changed. our sweet girl was a rageful, angry, sad little monster who was only happy for the seconds she was texting her "Wife." The mother of the girl found out too--and found me and called me. Two women across the country from each other trying to make sense of their daughter's online love affair. That mom too--very accepting of her daughter but DEFINITELY not happy with her having an online S&M affair with a 14 year old. She cut off all contact. Completely shut her daughter down and the contact ceased. Cleo went to a therapist...started feeling little better. Recommitted to her work and sports team (she had stopped sports because she couldn't text her wife if she went)...then the last few days..the same sadness and rage was creeping back. Loss of interest in anything that wasn't on her phone...and again, we looked at the phone and the texting (to the tune of 7K texts per day) had resumed. They were trying to come up with plans to run away together. To send each other secret flip phones.they commiserate and wallow in their mutual pain..the relationship doenn't have a ray of joy, it seems to me. I mean just STOP! so we confronted her again..and the tears and sobbing were the backdrop for "I HATE MYSELF I AM NOT GAY I AM GARBAGE I AM GROSS I AM DISGUSTING I AM SICKENING I HATE MYSELF" And this mantra is her new one...and no matter how much we hug her and tell her "be whatever you want to be! love anyone that makes you happy" she says this. Her self-loathing has morphed into self-harm..picking her scabs and spots and causing infections....We have offered to take her to a wonderful LGBT support group..she refuses, screaming "I AM NOT GAY" I spent the greater part of one morning showing her photos of awesome healthy gay couples that are my friends or are famous! She keeps saying " I will find a boy I will find a boy" and so...what the hell do we do now? what is this? She hates herself and finds herself disgusting for loving this girl...it is clearly her big crisis...I tell her so many people have sexual feelings for who they fall in love with...doesn't matter the gender...I remind her over and over that it is 2016, that no one thinks gay people are gross (except Mike Pence and we love to hate him LOL) that gay people live happy healthy lives...but she won't hear me. Is this a normal coming out crisis? Where do we go from here? how can I be the best mom to her without hurting her more? Why would she feel so much anger and self-hatred for loving a girl?! I feel so sad she has no one to talk to...girls at school talk of their crushes on boys...Cleo cannot utter a word about anything she feels so she's become a monk, withdrawn, won;t connect with anyone...she says "I am garbage and no one wants to be friends with garbage." I have tears writing all this...but thank you, thank you so much -- anyone -- who might be able to tell me there is hope here...or advise me...my heart is broken.

2. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I deeply wish I could help, I'm not a parent, but I was where she is now, I had a secret girlfriend at 14 and my parents found out a year and a half later, but before I had my girlfriend, when I was discovering my sexuality, I had intense self loathing, I'd self harm as well. I don't know her personal inner thoughts and feelings, but I can understand some things. I didn't grow up in a severely anti gay family, I even had some friends who claimed to be bisexual and lesbian, I had no problem with them, but something, I have no idea what gave me such an intense self hatred to the point I couldn't look in the mirror. I think we can agree that her girlfriend and her did not have a healthy relationship, I completely understand why you and the other mother cut it off. I think you're being a very caring parent, but have you taken the time to listen? She keeps saying she's not gay, now she *could* just be insecure and not fully accepted it yet, I take that's the way you and her father feel, but maybe she's not. She could be bisexual, pansexual, or just curious. At 14, that was when I started feeling fairly confident that I was a lesbian, or at the very least a bisexual who had a strong preference for women. I think if seeing the therapist is helping her, that's good. I know you hurt seeing your daughter hurt, but sometimes things aren't such an easy fix. Sometimes things have to work themselves out. She knows you love her, always assure her of that, but growing to love herself is a hard thing she's ultimately going to have to work out on her own. Just assure her that you love her and are there if she wants to talk.

3. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dear Cleosmom,

First of all - you are an awesome mum. You are saying and doing everything right. My parents were not and are not supportive of me and everything you typed had me in tears for it was the things I NEEDED to hear at your daughter's age.

I was the same as her too at that age. Angry, self-loathing, self-harming, terrified. Nothing positive or encouraging anyone did or said sunk in. At first. That came from society. The "normal" i expected myself to HAVE to be. I did not realise "normal" is an opinion. I did not take in anything but the negatives. The way people behaved at school. Being straight, finding a boy, kissing a boy, having sex with a boy, doing what every other girl in the World was doing. All of it made me physically sick and scared. Of the World. Of myself. Self-loathing is consuming.

BUT, it got better. Much better. It got awesome. SO awesome. The self-loathing reduced. Then stopped. The self-harming did too. With time. Nothing but time. Time to let the positives sink in. That will happen with your daughter too.

She needs time. Keep doing everything you are doing and saying. It will work. It is working. She will hear it in the back of mind. The anger will subside. She will grieve, she will hear you more, she will be SO GRATEFUL for your support. She will find her strength and one day she will laugh at her 14 year-old self's first girlfriend.

She will figure out what she is. She will find lots of awesome people the same as her, and lots of awesome people who love her for it no matter what. Then, all of this will be just a small memory.

I'm sorry if any of the above is upsetting to you. That's not my intention. That's just my experience.

KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

We are hear for you. Please keep talking and let us know how she gets on.

Big hugs

4. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're doing the right thing. I went through a period of self loathing while I was questioning my sexuality as well. I didn't self harm or anything, just kinda had those feelings of 'what's wrong with me/why can't I be normal' kind of thoughts. Eventually those thoughts kinda petered out. I mean I still have them occasionally even now but then I think 'well there's nothing I can do to change it'. Of course I was never a 14 year old girl, nor do I have any children, so I can't speak from experience, but eventually she'll understand and come to accept the truth. Whatever it may be. Just keep supporting and loving her. That's the best you can do. Once again, you're doing the right thing, eventually she'll come around. Just think though, how many teenage girls out there do everything their parents say and think they're perfect? Just keep supporting her.

5. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Self acceptance is the hardest part. Just becoming ok with myself in the last few months. I felt like a worthless joke and didn't speak to hardly anyone in HS.

Love is important but their have to be limits also re the self harm or harm to others.

Has she seem a doc, counseling/ meds? The social pressures to "be" a certain way can be overwhelming for a kid who thinks but truly doesn't understand the world and that it is ok to be yourself.

Take Care
    Dean

6. tgboymom

Sending hugs out to you.... you sound exasperated. I've been there, but for different reasons with my trans son.

I wish I had words of wisdom for you. Having no experience with this, I'd be starting with my child's pediatrician and taking referrals for therapists. This child seems to be very aware that you love her no matter what.... but what she doesn't know is that she has to love herself before she can love anyone else.

I agree with what you have done. This child is too young to be cutting herself off from the world for the sake of a long distance relationship. Even if she were older and doing this, I'd be concerned.

I'll be praying for both of you.

God be with you!

7. Guff

I'm only 17 years old so obviously my opinion probably isn't to great.

It sounds like before her "wife" entered her life she was a good kid. Than her "wife" came along and ruined her. She temporarily lost contact and started getting better. She got it back and went back to being sad.

Have you considered just downright taking away her phone/computer/etc? I mean she's 14 years old I don't really see why she "needs" those things... I personally didn't get a phone or access to the internet until I was 16.
    If you hesitate to take her phone away because you want her to have it in case of emergency's, have you considered taking it away and replacing it with 1 that can't text and or even has limits on who it's allowed to call?
    I know taking away her devices/replacing them with limited ones would probably upset her quite a bit.
    But this sounds kinda serious?... I mean grades are important. Getting up and doing things is important, if she's withdrawing that's really bad. If she's acting snotty and hissy that's a real problem, you wouldn't want her to grow up as a snotty hissy lazy anti-social person who's addicted to talking to some stranger. I personally think you just gotta play the parent card and simply tell her the way she's using her devices isn't responsible and you feel she shouldn't have them until she's older more responsible (And hopefully more accepting of herself). I understand if you did that she'd be pissed. But she can't stay mad forever.
    Just my opinion though and I wish you the absolute best of luck. You sound like a good mom.

8. Linkmaste

Cleo's Mom,

You are doing the right thing. Please don't forget that. Loving your child, telling her its okay, your taking the right steps.

I think this is going to be that hard part of she needing to eventually 'split' from this girl. Not because they're both women but because it's becoming a toxic relationship. Judging by what you told us, not eating and sleeping due to this is not healthy by any means. A healthy relationship wants you to do functioning things-not send messages until 3am.

Keep the support there for her. She's just learning about this whole new 'relationship' I suppose. I remember doing some 'not age appropriate' things on my computer.

I think taking the phone away and keeping in touch with that mother will be your best bet. Both of you working on each side is going to help because she can give you a heads up if shes talking to Cleo and if you find out shes doing the same, give the mom a heads up. It's not like becoming best friends but in the best interests of your daughters, you should attempt this.

I know this sounds a little off the wall, and even crazy but there are groups where you send teenagers with a missionary group (Not Christian or religious) and they help build schools, wells, etc and learn about third world communities. Its a great travel experience, you learn a lot about yourself, you write, and there is no outside communication (like cell phone reception). Me to We-just take a peak at it. I did it and I will assure you I was well taken care of and even though I had no cell phone or computer, I was too busy to even look at the damn things.

^It's a crazy idea but maybe you need something different to pop into your head. No worries if you don't take it.

Just hang in there and keep loving your daughter. You're doing the right thing.

9. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You didn't say much about the other girl. How is she? Is she a good person? Where do you think is the problem? Have you talked to her therapist on how to get out of the situation?

I was thinking, if both girls are sane and not abusive or manipulative towards each other (and that is for you to decide) why not allow them to actually meet under your supervision? Maybe letting them spend some time together could give both sides a new point of view. After all, it's extremely difficult to lock them both up and so far it hasn't worked very well. This is just a stupid idea of mine and it could also be obviously wrong, so take it with a spoonful of salt.

10. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish my parents were as accepting as you are... Just try your best. That's all we as kids can ask.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC.

I'll echo the thoughts of the others: Clearly you're doing a great job with a very difficult situation.

My first thought is to have more conversation (if you haven't already done so) with the other child's parent. It sounds like there are some severe control issues with the other child that are manifesting in a desire to control and denigrate your daughter.

Such isn't an uncommon thing in many S&M-oriented relationships, and there are very differing viewpoints on how healthy these sorts of relationships are, but one thing that's certain: They aren't healthy for a 14 year old child with a developing sense of self.

Your daughter could really benefit from good therapy. The challenge is finding a therapist your child will connect with and trust. The basic issue is likely her own sense of worth, which is influenced, likely, both by her interactions with the other girl, and the perceptions she's built about what it means to be a lesbian. This is where the therapist will be of the most help. She may need some pretty intense therapy at the outset... 2 or 3 times a week... but I should think that she should be able to get a handle on things pretty quickly.

Also, while I'm generally not an advocate of this, in this case, it might be worthwhile to consider simply removing *all* online access for a while (and coordinate this with the other parent.) Change phone numbers, gain control of email addresses, install parental locks and monitoring on wifi, take all cell phones/tablets. This won't be 100%, as your daughter can still access at school or libraries or whatever, but in this case, I think the drastic action may be required. (This is something I'd discuss with the therapist... my feeling is, if this is done at the same time as therapy, it might motivate her to discuss the situation (and her anger at you for restricting access) with the therapist, who might then be able to help her reframe the situation.)

I do think that the interaction with the other girl is likely at the root of the difficulty with self-acceptance. If that can be temporarily blocked, and she gets good therapy in the meantime (even better if the other child can also), there's a good chance the situation can be turned around pretty quickly.

In any case, it's not an easy situation, but I think you're doing an awesome job so far.

12. Guff

Something weird I want to add just to help you understand what it sounds like she's kinda going through.
    When I was either 14 or 15 Idk which but really close to her in age I still hadn't "accepted" the fact I'm gay.
    I had a friend I'll call K. 1 night he came over for a sleep over. We were watching some game show and he'd causally point out which contestants he thought were hot. He said a lot about a few girls I just kinda sat there. After awhile I guess I had some sorta weird moment and said 1 of the guys looked kinda cute. LOL K immediately asked me if I'm gay, he told me he's TOTALLY accepting of homosexuals and just wanted to know.
    So there I was, literally calling guys cute, I've had crushed on a few guys before yet I still somehow hadn't told myself I'm gay. When he said that my immediate response was "No, What the heck!?". He apologized and said sorry. Awhile later that night I kinda like, leaned up against him. LOL Looking back on it I was totally crushing on him but I didn't even realize I'm gay yet. He put his arm around me and I leaned even more in with my head against his chest when he said "I'm okay with you being gay you know" I than spaced back away and started yelling at him I'm not gay again.

The reason I told you that long story LOL Is because to me it sounds like she's going through this same stage I went through, Where I'm literally crushing on guys, calling them cute and trying to cuddle up with one. LOL Yet I still didn't "know" I was gay because I simply wouldn't admit it to myself. And all K telling me he thought I was gay did was really piss me off. I think that's kinda where she's at, she's liking girls, she's even trying to get close to 1. But she hasn't admitted it to herself yet and anyone who tries to tell her it simply angers her.
    K stopped mentioning it and I later on at my own pace realized I was gay by myself when I was ready. I think you should give her some space on the hole sexuality thing, offering support groups for it and telling her it's okay is GREAT. But until she admits it herself I think it's best you don't try to "out her" to herself. It is very well possible to be crushing on people of the same gender and still totally believe you're straight. I did for a long while. I hope this somehow helped you understand where she might be at.. If not I'm sorry for the long useless comment

13. CleosMom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hey everyone -- thank you SO Much for your advice and warmth and insightful advice. over the last week I have learned that she felt I was "forcing her out" and so I have backed off! I guess pushing and trying to get some kind of answer is almost as harming as saying "i hate gays!" I just am so new at all this! I had a therapist tell me "girls have crushes on girls but that doesn't mean they are gay!" SO I have so many swirling ideas in my head...and just don't want to hurt her. She is in terrible pain though--because what the mom of the other girl and I have done--is cut them off from eachother. We have both agreed their relationship wasnt healthy...but I have doubts about that--I wonder-- do we on some level want to squash it because it's not boy/girl?! the mom of the other girl is as lovely and sweet and smart as her daughter is...but she feels my daughter is an addiction for her..and I see that same pattern here. We email and support eachtoher but not a day goes by that Cleo doesn;t say " I miss her. I am so alone" IT was like she found the one human being who "got" her and now I have ruined that! I have al ot of support saying I did the right thing..but a voice inside me says "you took the love of her life away--you MONSTER!" Though I really have no choice..mom of other girl is treatingher daughter like a heroin addict. Took her phone and computer away. shut her down completely..I tell my daughter every day " it will get better" but she won't go the the LGBT youth group I found..she said if I say the word "lesbian" around her she wont speak to me...so I am just trying to navigate this minefield she has set up for me...I think as a parent you want the answer so you can move forward with support. So you know what you are dealing with. I wish she would say "mom, I am gay. help me." but she won't so that is this awful dark place we are in...she is exercising a lot...joined a team--so that is helping. I will stop outing her. I have to admit to you though...I have these days where I feel so sad...so sad that she might not have kids or have a life like I have...is that normal? Days where I think -- people will judge her or make fun of her or hurt her because she is a lesbian..days I wake up and think "Was this all just a nightmare and it is not true?" then i remember it is all true. Her girlfriend -- in all her texts -- kept saying "your mom is clearly homophobic" I think reinforcing to Cleo that I cannot be trusted...but she doesn't know me! Didn't know what I was trying to work through to help and be a good mom ....I am one of those crazy boy-crazy straight women...and now it is weird when I say men or actors are hot I feel like she is thinking "no they arent" It is a kind of loss. Like you thought you had this daughter who would eyeball guys with you and now she eyeballs women...just bizarre. And makes me so so sad. But the saddest thing of all is her not being happy in her skin. I will do anything to have that!! So right now I am trying to keep quiet...get her off her phone and into sports, clubs, life in real time and real people instead of online. Tumblr is AWFUL. People message her asking her sexuality...I feel like someone new will come along and we will do this all over again! I HATE that site. it is how she met her girlfriend...a stranger who became her "wife" !! that she has never seen in person. how could she ever meet someone HERE? a real live person that gave her the joy this girl did?! She won't really speak to anyone...anyway. I am rambling. so glad I found this and your opinions and ideas are just invaluable to me! thank you!!!

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2016 at 03:50 PM ----------

The other girl is smart, talented, kind, funny, interesting and already telling people she is gay. My daughter is her third relationship her mom tells me. but the other girl has some issues--eating disorder and her mom said "socially inept" so very few friends or social connectons which is why she is searching online for connections...She lives across the country...if they lived in the same city I would let them hang out all the time!

14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I'm not a parent so I can't imagine what you are going through but as the other people have said and what you are now seeing is that if someone isn't ready to come out then you can't force them even if your intentions are good. I didn't come out until I was in my mid twenties even though my parents were accepting so you just never know when the right time will be. Don't worry I'm not saying your daughter will be like this until she is in her twenties.
    I think it is perfectly normal to be sad, you have to grieve for the daughter you thought you had. That doesn't mean she can't be as good or bring you the same amount of joy as it's just different. I'm sure in the future you will be able to celebrate the daughter you have.

You are doing a great job.

15. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Cleosmom

Good to see you again.

Just wanted to share a few thoughts after reading your newest post.

I dont think you are homophobic. I think you are thinking about all possible bad things that may happen to your daughter, which for any caring person and especially parent will of course happen. Let it happen. Think it out and have a read about my life as a lesbian:

I have been with my lady for nearly 7 years, she has now been my wife for just over 1 year. We both work full time in jobs we love, have a great 3-bed house with a biggg garden, a car each, friends gay, straight and everything in between. We go 2 holidays a year, we have three cats and a pup. Our wedding was in a Scottish Castle, our bridesmaids wore rainbow colour dresses (one colour each) our best men wore rainbow coloured bow ties. Our ceremony, photos, meal, first dance, cake cutting, partying, honeymoon, happy-teary guests being happy for us was all AMAZING, beyond a dream. It is definitely an AWESOME life!!! I wake up every day happy and roll over to see my wife happy too.

Kids-wise, I've never been interested in having kids and neither has my wife, but that's just us. I have 3 gay friend couples who do have kids. Awesome happy kids who know they are loved. And who know love in all its kinds. For me, I concentrate on being the best aunty. I have 3 neices and 1 nephew. I see them most days. I talk to them every day. We SPOIL them because we can. They are my kids, my family and that's plenty for me.

Do people judge me? As a kid - hell yes. That was hard times. As an adult? Honestly? Once in a blue moon. Or maybe i just dont notice. Make fun of me? Again, as a kid - yes, as an adult? See above. Hurt me? Physically - never. It's only ever been words. I quickly learned not to make my life a popularity contest. If people have a problem with MY life, that is all it is - THEIR problem. Even straight people are judged and made fun of. We all have to learn that those people are not worth making space for. One other thing I learned - people who are happy in their own lives NEVER judge and NEVER make fun. Only unhappy people do. So if and when someone is mean in anyway, it doesn't make me angry or upset anymore, they are doing it because they are not happy in themselves. As an adult, lgbt bullying is not as bad as u would think, IF you have the right attitude about the bullies. I actually laugh so hard when anyone says anything nowadays!!! I find it hilarious that they think i actually care what they think, when i KNOW what my wife and real friends and real good people think.

The one and only thing that tingles in my mind, sometimes small, sometimes massive, is that my family is not supportive. Luckily, my inlaws are very. So I would say the most important thing is that you keep doing what you are doing. You already know - love. Non stop love. Treat her the SAME as if the crush had been with a boy.

It will get better, much much better. Much much much much!

Lots of hugs
    Lynz

16. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a parent, but when my mom found out I was a gay, she cried. She cried to my dad. When my exes mom and my mom met for lunch, they cried together. They cried because they felt we'd never have their version of happiness or fulfillment. We'd never know what it was like to marry a man, have sex with a man, or have children. Its not something I understand, but I don't think it's what I'd call *rare* I feel like what my mother, my exes mother, and maybe you fear is that we'll be missing out on love, but that's not so. You all found love with men, that's great. You're life is complete, that's wonderful. Not everyone finds happiness and fulfillment in the same things. If she is gay, she'll one day find a woman that she views like a straight woman views her husband. She'll feel complete. It shouldn't be weird when you say a mans hot, and if she's thinking "no he's not" well, she could have thought that before too! Haha straight doesn't mean the same type. My dad really kept my mom grounded when she found out..he always held on to "she's the exact same kid that she was yesterday"...remember that, she's not a stranger.