1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas.. soooooo excited!!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Dec 22, 2016.

1. tgboymom

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok, there was one present Jake asked for (he never asks for anything) and it was a piece of equipment for the computer... a tablet/monitor. The wacom is like 1800 but the off brand is only 399 and his friends say that it's just as good. The thing is, we kinda blew the wad with the surgery and expenses while they were here and on the way in, the kids ran off the road so we had to have the car towed 700 miles and fix it so there was another couple of grand. We were only able to come up with 1100 in cash for his present this year.

Well, this morning I talked to his father again.... saying how this equipment would help in his art and how I really didn't want him using his Christmas money for it and his dad said "ok, I'll buy it and have it shipped directly to him".

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!! :slight_smile: (!)(!)

He's going to be so thrilled because he really wants this thing. <doing a little victory dance>:eusa_danc :roflmao:

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just have to say, reading your threads makes me smile. Seeing the excitement and joy you have for your son is inspiring. You are a wonderful mother.

And, I hope all of you have a fantastic Christmas.

#2 Kodo, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  3. tgboymom

Oh thank you! I see all of you as my kids too! I just don't know any of you! :slight_smile:

I so wish he was coming home for Christmas. I have no decorations out at ALL. When he comes, I deck the halls... lemme tell ya!

I was so worried about Christmas because that's the holiday where I love to spoil him rotten, but we just got done with a 10k surgery and fixing the car and all the extra groceries and the parties we had for him.. so yes, I was worried. I've been doing a little day trading and swing trading all month.. small amounts so I could at least come up with some cash but I am soooooooooooooooooooooo thrilled his dad is buying him that ONE thing he wanted!!!!!! (!) (He likes the money too)! LOLOL :roflmao:

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2016 at 05:27 PM ----------

Oh wow.. I see you are in GA. We are just past Augusta!!!! :slight_smile:

4. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    tgboymom,

Merry Christmas!

I'm so glad to read this on so many levels. Your son is so fortunate to feel your love just showering down on him right now, when he so critically needs it. I'm sure the best gift you could ever give is your love and acceptance. You've made that so clear by helping him through his surgery and transition. Yay, yay, yay!!! This gives me such hope for all of us who are different and especially need our families.

I've recently made the switch from paper to digital drawing, and I think it's just amazing to use the Wacom tablets (and similar technologies) of today. I think that it's finally possible to get a "real" drawing or other art from a digital medium in a natural way. I have a few of my drawings (paper and digital) here on EC.

If your son hasn't found it already, there are some amazing digital artists on YouTube who love to share their techniques and experiences. James Julier is one of my favorites with an awesome channel. Here he breaks down how to use an Wacom Intuous stylus in particular.

One of my dad's finer parenting moments was teaching me how to see as an artist. He taught me that good art, much like life, uses every possible gradient rather than simple extremes. I was only 16 at the time and very closeted, but I was beginning to see sexuality in a very similar way. We're so much more rich and multifaceted than any label. My dad and I had challenges but he also had some amazing instincts as a parent.

I hope your son finds in your example a reserve of love and acceptance that he can learn from, possibly deepening his art. I'm just blubbering I'm so happy for you all!

*warm hugs and Christmas wishes*

Patrick

5. tgboymom

Oh VERY cool, thank you! I'll get over there to see your art and pass the information over to Jake. He's quite experienced in art and the use of a Wacom. I bought him his first one when he was 12. We've been buying him tablets all along, but this piece of equipment is a combo monitor/tablet.

He recently entered into and won a fan art contest. It was something simple.. you can see it if you go to Welovefine and check out the Weight of the World design. The point is... he entered it. This tells me his confidence has increased. He has been doing commissions since he was 16... but they are one on one. He has a fan site of his own and a good following, but he had the courage and confidence to enter a contest! :slight_smile:

Hahah... when he was in 7th grade, at a teachers meeting, one of his teachers said "I told your child to stop drawing because there's no money in it". My husband grabbed my shirt and pulled me back as I was jumping over the table at that teacher. I was like.. who the hell are YOU to tell my kid to stop practicing a talent!!! He was in the gifted program and all they were interested in were academics. I was severely pissed off. Here I am importing supplies from Japan for him and canvassing his walls and encouraging him, and his teachers were telling him to stop? Ok.... when he was 9, I opened a couple of retail stores. My kid did my monthly ads until he was 18. I believed in his ability that much. I also paid him for that work every single time. I had other business owners asking me who did my artwork! I did encourage his academic abilities, but not at the expense of his artistic abilities.

Frankly, I think all of you artists see things that the rest of us can never see. He didn't get this talent from me, that's for sure. I can't draw a straight line! I also encouraged music studies. As a matter of fact, I just came across a photo from when he was like 4 years old playing his first quarter size guitar. :slight_smile:

Ok, I've got to get over there and check out your art!!!!! :slight_smile:

God bless, sweetie!! and MERRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrry Christmas!

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2016 at 08:56 AM ----------

OH WOW... I'd love to see Jake do more like that! He's so into anime'. I don't know how to post them, but I'll have him send me a sampling and figure out how.

He's done other things digitally as well... for instance, when he was 14, he went to Australia with the People to People program. While there, he took a pic of a bird on a beach. He came home and put his character on the beach with the bird and shadowed the character and all so it looked so absolutely real. He's very creative.

6. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A Wacom Cintiq? He is a lucky artist indeed!

- Patrick

7. tgboymom

Well, he was REALLY psyched about the cash too. He thought, because of the surgery, that Christmas and birthday and valentines and Easter would be lean, but I started doing some trading and stashing a little here, a little there this month... so overall he got 1300.00 PLUS the tablet/monitor! He's psyched! Now I have to see if Edible arrangements can deliver tomorrow. When he first moved out there, there was no edible arrangements in town and I sent him one for holiday that he wasn't home all the time when he was in Florida. There's a new one where he lives.... he was so surprised to get one for his birthday.. lol

I miss being able to spoil the hell out of him. He might always have been spoiled, but NeVER a spoiled brat. If I had to say "no" to something, he was chill.. which makes spoiling him so much more fun! :slight_smile:

8. tgboymom

(!)YESssssssssssssssssssssssssssss Edible Arrangements will deliver on Christmas Eve!!! Yesssssssssssssss He LOVES that fruit!!!(!)

I'm trying to stay sane because just a touch more and I'd be in the stang heading out there!

9. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sense the delicious intoxication of generosity! :slight_smile:

Patrick

10. tgboymom

It's "something". Last year he came out and brought a friend... another transgender kid who didn't have a place to go for Christmas. Now I LOVED that Christmas. You know... all the presents were all around the tree (and for his friend too). Unfortunately, they wanted to sleep and there I am on Christmas morning trying to make noise so they'd get up and come to open presents. LMAO

11. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I looked at his "Weight of the World" design - very nice!

I think that today we emphasize technology very heavily and we don't give enough thought to how the arts should enrich our lives. We're all getting familiar and learning how to use technology, but very few of us have an appreciation for or create beauty. I think in the future the technology skills will be a commodity and those who know how to create beauty or can trust their intuition the way an artist would will be the most successful.

Patrick

12. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How did Jake like everything? =)

Patrick

13. tgboymom

Hope you had a wonderfully blessed Christmas!!!

I don't know how he likes that thing yet. I should arrive today!! He's SUPER excited though!

He's happy and emotionally sound for the first time in a long, long time. I've started sleeping better because that fear of what he might do is gone. I'd say we all made out pretty darned good this Christmas.

I posted an answer to you, but my computer flipped out. God only knows where it will show up so if you see a previous answer posted somewhere strange, you know what happened! LOL

(*hug*)

Lori

14. tgboymom

Ok.. that monitor/tablet thingie got there today. He took it out of the box, checked it out, didn't hook it up yet, and went to bed. :lol: They are on vampire mode right now.. up all night. He waited until it came to the door then had to fall out. LOL

His partner is going back to school this coming semester so they are really milking this "hanging out" thing until it starts. I wanted MY KID to get back to get his ichthyology degree, but his partner is going instead. :tantrum: I was told that he hadn't gone back before because he didn't want to be misgendered. I hate to point out the obvious but he hasn't been misgendered since the surgery. Hmm. deep voice, beard, flat chest, men's garb, name legally changed. I might have to whip out the Italian mother's guilt "please.. get your degree before I die"! :lol: <-- it's a last resort sorta thing.

(I'll just have to keep working on that one).. lol

(*hug*)

(he's got another silly present coming. It's just something silly... saw this really cool shark mug online and ordered it. He's super into sharks!)

15. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy New Year!!!

That's so thoughtful - hope he loves the graphics tablet and the mug!

I've met several people recently who know what the Wacom Cintiq is...power of attraction. :slight_smile:

Guilt trips from mom are the surest sign of her love too. :slight_smile:

Warmly,

Patrick

16. Stride

Stride Guest

I can't wait for Christmas!! Getting sooo HYPED (!)

17. tgboymom

When do you celebrate? Do you mean .. next Christmas? (I'll be in recovery mode from this one for a while).. lol

---------- Post added 5th Jan 2017 at 06:45 PM ----------

Happy New Year, Patrick!!! I spent the weekend watching The Walking Dead marathon. Good 'nuff. I'm getting too old for the festive stuff.

Jake LOVES that thing! The art has been floooooooooowing! I spoke with him the first night and he was busy doing 3 commissions. Cool!

He called today in a panic. It was time for his doctor visit. They have to drive into Tennessee to get to the informed consent clinic at Planned Parenthood. That's all well and good..... I mean.. he's used to the trip and I always deposit enough money in his account to cover it. This time though, the visit was $315 ! They did a blood study to not only test his T level, but he's under a double threat for diabetes considering he comes from a long line of us diabetics on my side PLUS the T tends to raise blood sugar. They are doing a lipid panel too. Good, I need to know all of those numbers. Also, instead of giving him rx's for T, they gave him 2 huge bottles which should last 5 months. They also gave him a bunch of new needles and a new sharps container.

By the time he finished telling me, additional money was transferred to his account. He should know better than to stress about these things. He was telling me that he's having some sort of anxiety attacks. I was like... what is bothering you? I mean... it was tense before and during transition, but he's been so happy with the results. I thought we addressed what was causing the distress. I guess not. It's not like it was before... I mean.... I'm not flipping out or calling shrinks or jumping in the stang and heading out there. I guess we will see what we will see.

(*hug*) Wishing you a wonderfully blessed, healthy and prosperous New Year, darlin'!
    Lori