1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm pretty sure that my 80-year-old grandfather is LGBT... help

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Miaplacidus, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone.

While I'm gay/bisexual myself (say, Kinsey 4 or 5) this concerns another family member.

My grandfather is 80 years old, still married to my grandmother, they share a bedroom and bed, you know, the usual -- your average elderly married heterosexual couple.

I've had suspicions about his sexuality since I was a teenager. He has always been unusually uptight about sex and sexuality, even for an 80 year old person; for example, back then, my grandmother, my mother and I would watch Sex and the City reruns, but when it was on he would turn greenish and flee to his bedroom (seriously.) He has always given off this vibe of deep sexual repression, not necessarily LGBT-related. It's even weirder because my grandmother isn't particularly intimidated by the subject of sex. Not that she will speak openly of it, but say, she won't flinch at the sight of sex on TV, nor would she be uncomfortable if anything LGBT came to the conversation over dinner.

In addition to that, in a country with a strong machismo tradition, he has always been rather "soft", as in watching soap operas, being totally uninterested in any kind of sport, and probably not knowing the different between a flat screwdriver and a Phillips head one (a common family joke is that he'll hire an electrician to change a light bulb and that's only half-joking... he really is that inept when it comes to traditionally male roles.) Not that I adhere to stereotypes, but around here that implies gayness very reliably. (I guess that the machismo culture is so strong that the straight guys force themselves to watch sports and learn how to repair things even if they hate doing so.)

Then, a few years ago (he was already in his 70s) he'd help this more-or-less destitute (and much younger, say 30s) man with a kind of devotion that was borderline romantic. It looked as if he was infatuated with the guy; again, it is very hard for me to picture my grandfather as sexually attracted to anyone, but he kind of looked like a teenager; this guy was the only topic he brought up for a while. Needless to say, my grandmother (well, all of us -- the guy wasn't very honest, long story) loathed him and after about a year or so they lost contact with each other. Back then I found this rather strange, and a remote corner of LGBT me would "itch", but I was in denial I guess. I didn't think of it again until a few days ago.

My family has a Netflix family plan, four screens (that being my grandparents, my mother and I. Yeah, I know you are supposed to live in the same physical place, oh well.) I'm the one who pays for it so I'm the one who manages the account. My grandparents are technologically unknowledgeable, so either my mother or I every once in a while log in to their profiles and select films and shows that they'd like to see (they ask for it, my grandmother more often than my grandfather, but they both do.)

So a few days ago my mother asked me to add Downton Abbey to his watch list. As his tablet was charging, I just switched profiles on my iPhone (that's the usual way I do this, I rarely touch his tablet.) When it loaded, I found, well, a "surprise."

His recently watched list (for those who don't use Netflix, that's front and center, it isn't anything you have to do any digging to find) was full of gay films. Full of gay films as in, he has been watching everything gay male-related Netflix has to offer in quick succession. Not even I watch so many gay-related films in succession.

The titles included the German Free Fall (about the extramarital relationship of a cop with another, male, cop), James Franco's Interior. Leather. Bar., the Mexican Four Moons (four stories about gay people in different stages of their lives, including that of an elderly married fellow who insistently tries to get it on with a rent boy), among others. All of those include pretty explicit sex scenes and male nudity (including full frontal. Remember, this is my sexually uptight grandfather!)

In my humble opinion, this all but confirms that my grandfather has strong homosexual tendencies. Knowing him, he might very well be the proverbial 80-year-old virgin, at least homosexually; but still, this is very weird. I mean, he's married, to my grandmother whom I love to death (I'm much closer to her than to him.) And well, then there's my mother: she'll eventually see the same thing, and it took her years to completely come to terms with having produced a LGBT son, I don't even want to think what would happen if she found out that she has a LGBT father.

Any insights? I'm not telling anyone, but it's a big thing to swallow...

tl;dr I'm pretty sure my married, 80 year old grandfather is at least bisexual.

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How very interesting, does he know you are gay?

I always feel bad for the older generations of LGBT people, they had things so much harder than we do today.

rainbow96 likes this.
  3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never told him directly, but I think it's obvious. I mean, I've brought boyfriends home, I'm 27 and have never had a girlfriend... it's something they just don't talk about.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, Dude. SHOULD he know. YES! But straight guys often don't really want to recognize that their 'buds' are gay even with all the evidence in front of them.

Don't ever assume. Unless you've talked to him or told him straight-up that you are gay, don't assume that he knows or accepts it.

5. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone in my family except for my mother (whom I told directly) has been in deep denial for over a decade. It's kind of "don't ask, don't tell" -- plus, as I said, my grandparents are both over 80 now, I'm single, I no longer live in the same city... it would be rather pointless to force my sexuality on them. They just don't need to know.

However, we're talking of my grandfather here... I'm ok with everyone else being gay or whatever, but the thing is, I'm somewhat shocked because this implies that his marriage of 60 years is a fake. I suppose that my grandmother doesn't know.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Miaplacidus,

I was in the closet until I was 50 years old. I didn't play games and marry anyone in the meantime just to 'satisfy societal norms,' but I think I understand what your grandfather has lived through and how tough it had been on him.

I would pretty much guarantee that your grandmother knows that he is gay (or at least Bi, with a preference for men). That doesn't mean that they never loved each other or that they don't still love each other. But loving a close and dear friend is different from loving someone to whom you are sexually and romantically attracted to, as you should very well understand.

At this point, I guess what I would ask is why you are concerned with your grandfather's sexuality. Unless you want to Come Out to him (perhaps in the hope that he will return that honor), what do you wish to gain by pursuing this?

Just my thoughts.:slight_smile:

7. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't pursuing anything. I'd have preferred not to know. I'm not into snooping, he was "outed" by Netflix.

I wouldn't say anything... I don't know what to think, really -- I don't really approve as I don't think it's fair for my grandmother, but I'm not about to go tell everyone. However, my mother is going to find out as soon as she logs into his Netflix account and that's going to be rather nasty.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, Miaplacidus, I didn't say nor imply that you were 'pursuing' anything.

Second, it seems like your main concern is about what the rest of the family - especially your mother - may feel about it if/when she learns about her father's sexuality.

So, I would ask two things (to yourself, no need to answer to me as an outsider). Do your really think that your mother doesn't already know? And, can you simply 'cover' for your grandfather by erasing his Netflix viewing history?

I guess most of this is about what you think should happen and want to happen within your own family. So I would just throw this out there for you to consider.

9. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's very hard to picture your own father as gay or bi. And knowing him... I really think that she doesn't even imagine the possibility. She was completely clueless (and deeply shocked) when I told her and I was way more obvious.

Clearing his Netflix viewing history would most likely confuse him and alert him that something's going on. He's very inept technologically and the slightest change would confuse him. Even minor rearrangements in the Netflix UI have led to long phone calls with me.

10. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, then, you seem to have a choice.

You can simply delete your grandfather's Netflix history and play it off as a technological error if anyone notices.

You can confront him directly, but sympathetically (he knows you are gay, right?) about his Netflix history -and show him how to delete it himself.

You can ignore the situation and see what happens.

Just my thoughts.:slight_smile:

11. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion, all of this is none of your business.

You have no idea of any of the following:

1. Whether or not he is gay.
    2. Whether or not his wife is aware.
    3. Whether or not he knows or accepts that he is gay (assuming he is).
    4. Whether or not he is bisexual but has chosen a hetero life.
    5. Whether or not he made knowing choices for his life.
    6. Whether or not he has suppressed his feelings or just accepted his life as it is.
    7. Whether or not he even wants to confront this in his life.
    8. Whether or not he and his wife have already dealt with these issues.
    9. Whether or not he may actually be out to his wife but chose to remain married to her.
    10. Whether or not he would be angry at you for stirring up a bee's nest.

Quite simply, I think you should stop thinking about all of this and take care of your own life. At his age, what would be gained by you meddling into all of this? I know you said you're not telling anyone, which is good, but I suggest you leave this alone.

Just my opinion. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

#11 I'm gay, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  12. terrijoe

terrijoe Guest

If presented with this scenario. I would pick a day to be alone with him for a long time if it took a long time and sit down with my grand pa and and explain to him your situation of being gay and see if you can get him to tell you how he is sexually orientated .Maybe this can be all figured out and you will have a better relationship with him after all has come out.
    Then you can also explain to him how to take care of his account and delete things that embarrass other people who are not able to bring there mind to come around to think about people being GBLT the way my wife is.Good Luck .and remember just love him as you do not have much time left.

13. LailaForbidden

My heart is breaking for this man! Think of the life he must have lived in his past. I think if you come out to him, it may give him some courage.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Youtuber, Wickdkool (did I spell that right?), recently did an interview with that 90 year old man who came out as gay. Perhaps, you could somehow show him the video and ask him what he thinks about it without letting him know that you know? There's no sex. Good luck.

15. Krater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    my 5 cents worth bro i totally get here you are at, it must have been a shock for you! Its really evident that your love your grandparents and wouldn't want to hurt them. I can only speculate that that your grandmother knows, she has been married to your grandfather for how long? Maybe this is not your fight. I think you are jumping the gun when you assume that your grandparents marriage is a fake because of your suspicions. If I was were you, I would delete the history of what your grandfather watches. There is so many different perspectives here that is really unseen. How would you feel if your mother already knows? how would you feel if your grandmother knows but turns a blind eye?

My only suggestion to you is to first engage in a bit of empathy and get to know your grandfather first before you judge his marriage then walk a few miles in your grandfathers shoes before you get too cocky with your assumptions as there is so much you dont know..

I guess you are wanting some answers If he is 80, and growing up in the 40's, 50's and 60's homosexuality would have been a criminal offense and probably sent to get shock treatment. (it happened in our country) Imagine living with that all those years and now you have discovered this. I wonder what life has been like for your grandfather, what he has seen.

16. charly4410

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I agree with what others here have said that it is your grandfather’s business and he is entitled to privacy and you don’t know any of the particulars I nonetheless think that it might be worth a thought to try reaching out to him. A lot of families practice not talking about what lies at the core of the relationships, about what is really going on and what is important because everybody is so tied up in family routines and all that comes with those.
    I have only known one of my grandparents, and only slightly. I wish I’d had the chance to get to know them. From my viewpoint it would be sad if you never got the chance to talk to him on this subject, the chance to get to know his story. Who knows, maybe he would like to talk about it, maybe not. And while he might live for many more years it is also possible that there is not much time left. And you might regret not having tried. And I think this should be between you and him, and not about his marriage or your mother.
    That’s just my thoughts.

17. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is a good suggestion.