1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son told me he is bisexual...

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by MamaB, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MamaB

Hi. I'm new to all of this. Im looking for advice and kind support.
    My 16 yr old son told me a few years ago that he was bisexual, it came out of no where he just walked up to me saying mom I'm bisexual. I honestly believed at the time he didn't fully understand what he was stating. We talked, I was hoping I was being supportive and understanding. I told him that he doesn't need to label himself right now if there was any uncertainty. Also, sadly I had to let him know to be careful on who he tells as we live in a small community of less than 800 people who are more on the old school side. Fast forward to today....my son has stayed firm that he's bisexual. No matter what I love my son and support him in every way. He came to me yesterday and told me he was dating someone (just started) and it was his friend who is ftm trans transitioning. I was a little taken back, I just wasn't expecting it I guess. I said really? Ok, really? Lol not my finest mom moment. My son told me he liked his friend for a while now and that he asked my son out and now they are dating. I don't know anyone who could advise me on this. My son has never dated or talked about having a crush on anyone. I wonder if he is truly sure or just curious? I'm also a little worried about letting his step dad know as he is not tolerant or supportive of anything beyond white and straight and the family though appear supportive of LGBTQ I think it's more so as long as it's not actually in front of them. I talked to my mom, figured she would be the supportive understanding person. But she made a comment of why? He can't know for sure? Does he know he is at higher risk of aids! My jaw dropped, I had to correct her and she just shook her head and walked away. I feel that my son and I will be alone for this next step in his life. I'm just looking for advice, support any comment that could help us along the way. Thank you.

2. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dang. Well, you sound like you are handling this great. Thanks for being supportive of him.

As for everyone else, that sucks. I guess just continue to be supportive. Remind them that this isn't a choice. Maybe they will come around, maybe not. At least you will be there for him.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn. Sounds like you're handling it well, though. Sexual orientation truly isn't a choice - its more of an instinct than anything else. I swear to the moon and back my body, my brain, knew i was gay before i myself had any idea what it all meant. Good on you for supporting your son - he's going to get so much hate from everyone, he really needs you to be there for him as much as you can. Learn as much as you need to on here. Go on youtube if it helps you. There's lots of LGBT youtubers - i made started a thread dedicated to them in the entertainment and media section i love them so much.

Not having a parent's support is the worst feeling ever. Not even joking. Go on youtube and watch Prayers for Bobby if you want to know what can happen when a kid doesn't get the support they need from their family. The movie is heartbreaking cause its based on a true story, set in the 1980's. It can be like - well, if my parent doesn't love me, who else will. That's what i thought for the longest time. It really ruins you.

4. Linkmaste

I'm proud you are supporting your son, it's a hard task.

I wasn't accepted by my parents and it ruined me. So trust me, you are doing the right thing. You are a good parent.

Just make sure your son has protection. Treat it like you would treating if he was dating a girl.

5. MamaB

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. My son means the world to me I just want him to be safe, healthy and happy. He's been through so much in his young life, so many obstacles, I can only hope that this new journey fills him with happiness....he deserves it.

I had to laugh and joke with him a little today. He told me when him and his boyfriend said bye at the end of the day they had the awkward hug moment lol. I told him that's nothing wait for the first kiss just don't slobber no one likes that lol. I get the omg mom look along with seriously mom? But he smiled while shaking his head at me. I'm glad he feels comfortable enough to talk to me. I know it couldn't of been easy.

And for protection...definitely. I already mentioned that to him, think I embarrassed him a little. But girl or boy, got to be safe. I told him sex is a serious step in any relationship and you need to be responsible about it.

6. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You definitely deserve the title of "Mom". Good going. I think there are lots of kids out there who just wish they could have a mom like you.

7. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you are doing a great job here.

My best advice is that you treat him and his dating no differently than you would if he were straight. NO DIFFERENTLY. Just remove gender out of the equation and things will work out.

I might also suggest that your advice regarding to him telling others isn't what I would have told my son. You can't really understand what it is like to be closeted, and for some LGBT, being closeted is extremely uncomfortable and anxiety inducing. Why can't he tell others? Should he remain closeted to the community forever? If not, then what is the point at which people can know?

The fact is, people's problem with homophobia are their problem, not your son's. He should be able to come out to whomever he chooses, when he chooses. He is not responsible for the opinions and reactions of others.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on being such a great Mom! ^w^ Since his boyfriend is F2M you'll both have to prepare for some transphobia on top of homophobia. Standing up for his boyfriends gender identity will help them both a lot in feeling secure. Chances are there will be isolation from your family for supporting them both, so I'd advise getting in touch with a local LGBT group and trying to make friends with parents there.

9. MamaB

I understand that, when I told him that he was 12 or 13 at the time...he is now 16. Kids out at the small school he was in are a lot like their parents. I just didn't want him to have more of a hard time in school then he already had. He had very few friends, bullied over the years.

Last year he changed schools, longer to get there but it was for the best. Now he has friends, doing well academically. He has come out to one friend out here that he has and all his friends in his new school. His new school has a large LGBTQ support and a zero tolerance policy.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2017 at 09:16 PM ----------

Thank you very much. To hear that even from strangers means a lot. Your comment and the comments I've read thus far warms me.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2017 at 09:25 PM ----------

Thank you very much. It means a lot to me hearing that, even from strangers. Your comment and others I've received warms me. I was looking for something when I joined this site, support/advice I wasn't entirely sure. Sometime between last night and tonight something feels lifted. im still a little worried about what may lay ahead for my son, but I know it will turn out ok.

10. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you're here, so he's not totally alone. Having a supportive home base makes whatever he does from here on out easier for him. He's lucky to have you, and don't you forget that.