1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 yr old son: is he gay?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Phoenix1230, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Phoenix1230

Hello everyone! Looking for some advice. I am the mother of a 10 year old boy,and he has a twin sister too. We have had conversations in the past where someone in my family would ask the kids if they had a crush on someone in school (seems to be acommon topic to all grade school kids for some reason) . My daughter would blush and mention some boys name in school. My son on the other hand, says a boys name. No blushing or shyness or anything, just "i have a crush on paul". Paul is his best friend. I never saw the need to say, "well paul is a boy" or "a crush means..." because it honestly doesnt matter whether its a boy or girl. My question I guess is this: is 10 too young to know if he is gay? Would it even make sense to ask him? The past few weeks he has been mentioning how handsome some men or boys are and asking if i find them handsome too. Actors, singers, kids in school, even my boyfriend (not his father). He doesnt say anything about girls being pretty, ever. When he says these things I respond by either agreeing or I'll say things like "yes he has a very nice smile" or something to that effect. We have a very close relationship and he can talk to me about anything and i absolutely love that. I don't want to damage that by saying the wrong thing. So should I just keep listening, or is it something I should ask him about? Is he too young to talk to about being gay? Would that upset him or cause him to shut down? I just want him to know how loved he is and that his feelings are ok, whatever they may be. He has 2 gay aunts he is very close with and he knows i have also dated the same sex so its completely normal to him and maybe thats why he feels free to talk about it? Should I say anything more or just let him go with the flow and on his own pace? Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling. I wasnt ready for my kids to become preteens or teens any time soon and im so confused and afraid ill do it wrong. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

2. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think he is either gay or bisexual, but honestly you never know. He's definitely old enough to understand his feelings towards others, so I'm sure he at least is considering his sexuality (whether he knows it labelled as gay or not). I think for now you should just keep listening, but always respond fully - let him know he's being heard. If you ask him it may feel very sudden and shocking to him; it would probably be best for him to come out to you naturally and when he feels ready. However one thing you said: "I just want him to know how loved he is and that his feelings are ok, whatever they may be" is very smart and caring. I think next time you have the chance, just bring that up. Remind him he is always loved no matter who he is or what he likes, without bringing up the topic of sexuality itself (so he knows it's okay, but doesn't feel pressured to discuss anything).

You sound like an excellent mother and I hope everything works out!! <3

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're doing great as you are, i think. Just listening to what he says and taking it as it is, not batting an eye or resisting it. So many parents are either flat out against it or don't believe their kids can really know unless they've had some sort of romantic experience. Ugh. Idk about boys, but i was in middle school when i first noticed the signs. So like 11-12 ish. So he is approaching that age, and i have heard that late elementary kids are 'dating' nowadays. Lol they weren't back in my day! All that happened in middle school when i was a kid. But despite me noticing i was checking out girls not boys at like 11 or 12, i was totally confused and perplexed by it - my mom is a conservative and a christian, you see. But i think even with a loving, accepting, parent there is a real chance he might not understand his feelings either. My opinion is to just take it as it goes, it sounds like your doing great so far since he's so open with you.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, Phoenix1230,

He's not too young to know his own sexuality.

At the same time, ONLY he can actually know what it is. It says a TON about your parenting that he is so open with you about his attractions at this point in his life.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you just go with the flow. His journey to understanding and accepting his own sexuality is one that only he can take. You can't do anything more than simply provide your unconditional love as a parent and be supportive of him.

I would offer you the following: Perhaps check out the PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays)here. You can hopefully find a local chapter to support you and answer questions, if he actually is gay. You can also find a really good booklet to download that they publish here.

Just some thoughts.:slight_smile:

#4 Quantumreality, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Phoenix1230,

I definitely knew I was gay around your son's age. It's not unusual at all. What is remarkable is his nonchalance in discussing it with you. It really does speak to your parenting with openness and acceptance that he is comfortable enough to tell you. Bravo for that!

I echo QuantumReality's advice to just go with the flow. Continue to be unassuming about gender and be the loving and accepting mom you obviously are. Don't worry about saying the wrong thing. You won't.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

6. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there! :slight_smile: I think that you are an amazing mom for being so supportive and kind to your son. You truly are accepting of him, so I think that if he actually is gay, he will have no worries to tell you. I think that maybe when he is a bit older, talk to him and just remind him that you love him a lot, and that it doesn't matter whether he likes a boy or a girl. Thank you for being so amazing! :grin:

7. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My only concern is that in the future he might get a bad reaction from someone if he continues to talk about boys and how cute they are. Maybe you could tell him a bit more about your experience dating someone of the same sex and how others could negatively react to it if you haven't done that already. You have also mentioned that you have aunts who are gay and that he is very close with them, so you could ask them to talk to him about their experience dealing with homophobes. The other possibility is to wait until something happens but, of course, that depends very much on the environment. My concern is that if something like that happens at school, he could end up labeled as gay and lose friends or start getting bullied by other students because of it.

My opinion on this is that you should get him familiar with the problems that LGBT people face in society before he's had any experience with it. If he's gay or bi, then that's great, he will know that you support him no matter what; if he's straight, he will know what not to do right from the start. Either way you both win.

8. guitar

10 isn't too early to tell, I know quite a few gay men that knew at 4-5 years old they wanted a husband. When hormones and puberty kicks in are when he'll likely know for certain, but honestly, everyone is different. Some know at 5 and they're gay for life. Others at 25. If he's talking this way, it seems likely that he already has figured out who he's into and who he isn't.

Other than that, just continue to support him, let him know if he ever needs to talk, he can. Otherwise, just be involved in his life. As much as you want to "coddle" (for lack of a better term) kids often want/need to find their own way, and learn about things through their own personal trial and error.

9. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my opinion, your son is almost certainly gay. I plead with you to consult with people who are knowledgable in this area BEFORE you discuss it with him .

10. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's very possible.

No, I don't think ten is too young of an age to know. I'm not exactly sure when my awareness on my sexuality first started but, I do remember being in 1st grade and coming to the realization that I may be what was called a 'lesbian', after I came to realize that I liked a classmate's mom. I vied for this woman's attention and I always would compliment her.

I wouldn't ask him, if I were you. It may shock him or cause him to feel pressured. Let him give you his answer in his own time. You say that he's close to his two gay aunts. It's a possibility that he's already voiced it to them. Respect his privacy and try not to pry. Allow any confidences to remain confidential. You can however ask them to look out for him. You've already being doing a great job with him. He's able to openly voice his crushes without fear of reprisal. Continue raising him in this same warm and loving environment and I'm sure he'll do just fine, regardless of how he ends up identifying.

#10 PlantSoul, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  11. alex1170

Just to add a different flavor here, I personally didn't know I was interested in boys until maybe 13 or 14, though it was definitely a gradual realization over a few years. Some people sometimes don't realize they are attracted to the same sex until their 20s, or even much later in life also (though that is more rare). Everyone is different, and has a unique way of discovering themselves. The best job you can do as a parent (and it sounds like you are already doing great btw!), is to let him continue to discover on his own. Nothing you say or do is going to change the outcome, contrary to what some people might think. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep doing what you are doing and see how it progresses as he grows older. Perhaps if he continues to talk about boys with you, you can continue to be there as someone for him to talk to about it by seeming engaged without being over-curious and concerned. He could also just be trying to see how you react to what he says for fun, or is seeking attention in some way. Only time will tell honestly, but showing your support of him no matter what will never hurt.

12. Gooonerz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think you can know for sure. Everyone's experiences are different. I had zero idea about sexuality or anything until I was about 15. And I can honestly say it isn't because I didn't realise or something, I just never thought on these matters or found anyone attractive at all till then.

13. juxlia

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for reaching out <3
    I personally started questioning when I was about 12.
    I know that some transgenders have known they were born in the wrong body since a very early age (even before grade 1). I think it's very possible that he could be gay, although things can change. Maybe it'll change, maybe it won't. Best to just wait and see :slight_smile:

14. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As someone who is 21, I'm young enough to roughly remember being 10. 10 year olds are smarter than people give them credit. If they're really little kids, sure you might question if they really know. But if your son said he had a crush on another boy, that sounds like he's most likely bi or gay. For me it was hard because I have a low Libido and didn't know what being "gay" meant until I was 11. I didn't start to question my sexuality until I was in high school. However, if he know's he has crushes on people, I think he knows that he's gay or bi, but might not know the technical terms. My sister's best friend knew he was gay from a young age. I know it's hard since discovering you're bi and discovering you're gay can be a completely different yet similar process.

I had friends who came out around 12 or 13 and both suspected that they were gay in late elementary school.

15. rethonji07

Hello Phoenix1230. When I was young. I realized I was gay when I was around 6 yrs. old. I remember that I have this unusual feelings towards guys but I prefer women as a company more of like in the area of friendship. I realized then and there that I find guys attractive and appealing but I wasn't expressive to my family due to the stigma of being gay in the community and around the family. I was always bullied and teased back then because people find me gay due to my seemingly "feminine" attributes. And there were a couple of times my mother saw a stash of cut out men underwear models and I was scolded. I had close ties with friends who were predominantly girls back then. But I didn't realize that I was really gay back then, I just knew that I was different.

I think possibly your kid is gay. But continue to listen to him, kids go through this self searching mode, even though the environment is supportive. They will go to stages of exploration, denial and acceptance. Let them evolve but let them also know that you support them no matter who they are. Not necessarily ask them directly like, "Are you gay?" Maybe just express your support with subtlety but also clear enough that they know they are accepted.