1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom of 14 year old who just told me she is gay...

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by jnv7594, Apr 10, 2017.

1. jnv7594

Hi, everyone. First I want to say that I'm glad I found this forum. You all seem like a very welcoming group.

I am the single mother of a 14 year old daughter. Just today my daughter came out to me as gay. When I picked her up from school, she was very quiet. I could tell something was troubling her. I asked her if something was wrong, and she said she didn't want to talk about it. After a few minutes, I asked again because I was concerned, and she said she didn't want to tell me because she thought I might judge her. Thinking back to her saying this just breaks my heart. I don't know why she thought I would judge her. I have always been a very open, accepting person, and in turn, she is a very open accepting person. I couldn't be prouder of her. I have friends that are gay, and she and I have had discussions on the subject. She knows my thoughts, so her fear of me judging her really puzzles me.

I told her I would not judge her that I just wanted her to talk to me, and after another minute or so of silence she told me she was gay. I have to say I was not shocked. I have suspected for some time, but I wasn't completely sure. Just mom intuition, and a few small signs here and there. I told her I loved her. I told her this in NO WAY changes that. That I am here for her, and that I will try to answer any questions she has. I assured her that I am absolutely not judging her. She is still my daughter same as always, and that this does not change how much I love her in the least. I thanked her for telling me, and assured her again that I am here for her any time she wanted to talk. Then I gave her a big hug. Her mood picked up dramatically, and I could tell she was more relaxed. She told me she was worried that I would be mad. She had told a friend, and her friend said she should tell me. But she said she was scared to. I told her there was no reason for me to be mad. Why would I be mad about her expressing who she is and how she feels? I have to say, out of everything, I find her fear of telling me the most upsetting. That she was scared to come to me. I'm so confused by her saying that after all the discussions we've had on the subject.

After all of that, we simply went about our day. I didn't want to pressure her with questions or too much advice right away. I, of course, want her to talk to me about any worries she has, but I thought it was enough that she told me today. I do want to bring up the subject over the next few days and have a bit more in depth conversation, but I also don't want her to feel I'm crowding her or talking about it too much, so I'm not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions? Should I wait for her to come to me? I just don't know. Should I see about getting her into a local support group? Has anyone here tried this, and did it help. She has some great friends, and her one friend that knows is very supportive to her. Still, as supportive as we are, none of us knows EXACTLY what she's going through.

Now tonight after she went to bed, I sat here and, surprisingly even to me, I started crying. Not because I am upset she is gay. I'm not. Not because I am mad. I'm not. It's because I worry about her. I know how cruel people can be. Just last year she was dealing with some depression and issues with cutting. I had her in counseling, and she has been doing much better in recent months. But I'm so worried how the judgement of other people, and I know it will happen, will effect her. I can be as accepting and supportive as possible, but I can't make everyone be that way. I can't control what other people say. And it pains me that she may face any kind of hatefulness in her life for being who she is. I want to be here for her when she needs me, but I don't want to be here too much if you know what I mean. I want to support her while giving her space.

My only hope for her is to be happy, and to get through her teen years as unscathed as possible. I hope for her to have supportive friends, and hopefully someday a loving, supportive partner. I'm just so worried about the years in between, and how to help her through all this as she heads into high school this next year.

Any thoughts, advice, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

2. gaynonsense

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Firstly, welcome to the family. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Secondly, I'm no expert, and my experiences are certainly different from hers, but I want to share some of the with you to possibly ease your fears.

I've just turned 17, and I'm a gay dude. I want to begin by telling you how proud I am of your daughter for coming to you so willingly—especially at her age! I had suspicions of myself for a few years before I realized with certainty my sexuality. It took me around another year before I gained the courage to even think about telling my parents.

I didn't tell them until I was so depressed that I was afraid to be alone because I didn't trust myself not to do something stupid. I didn't tell them that, but I did eventually. Regardless, I sat down over dinner and had decided that that would be the night. I didn't really touch my food I was so scared; I had no reason to be. From the way you talk, my parents were very similar in the way they handled the situation and how they have raised me.

Most of my fear manifested itself in the fear of them telling their friends, my uncertainty in myself, and that I would disappoint them because I wouldn't be able to have children of my own. There was a very small fear of not being accepted, but I was sure that they would. That didn't change anything, there's such a huge stigma around coming out that the little fears I had were blown out of proportion.

We all just sat around the table crying saying that we love each other because no one new what else to do. They reinforced the idea that it was alright for me to be gay, that it didn't change anything and that was so nice to hear. They asked a few questions, but I was very worn from the fear that I didn't answer them all. What I'm saying is their reassurance was very helpful.

It took me a very long time to really warm up to myself and I face a lot adversity seeing as I managed basketball and accidentally came out to the team. At this point, my parents knew for a few months, but I didn't want to worry them so I kept my struggles to myself and my support network I fought to construct. I was seriously depressed and anxious; I attempted suicide three times, cut, and nearly started experimenting with drugs. My parents, to this day, still have no idea about any of that.

I did eventually come to them with the fact I was feeling suicidal and that I needed help. I brought a friend with me this time because I knew I wouldn't be able to handle their worry when I told them.

My support network was some next level stuff; they were always there 24/7, friendly, accepting, and really pushed for me to make healthy decisions. They are the reason I talked to my parents.

If your daughter doesn't talk to you much, be patient. You sound like she has already made a network within her friends and trusts you very much. She very well may be ready to talk to you, but she might not be. It sounds like she is also doing better than I was at that point, so to me it doesn't sound like you have too much to worry about.

I really hope this helps! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

#2 gaynonsense, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  3. jnv7594

Thank you so much for the response. And I'm glad to see "better" posted under your mood. It looks like hopefully things are looking up for you. Your parents sound like wonderful supportive people. I'm sorry you have struggled though, and this is what I worry about for my daughter. I had the idea, like you mentioned, just to be patient and let her come to me more when she's ready. Right now, I'm just happy she told me and that I was able to tell her I support her and am here for her. I hope I gave her one less thing to worry about.

I think my main struggle right now is that my nephew, who was 23, just committed suicide this last month. That is causing me to be on guard a bit more, and wanting me to overly reassure my daughter(maybe too much) that I am here for her if she needs me. But I don't want to crowd her either. Given her past with depression and cutting, I'm just worried, and I'm trying to find that balance between being supportive and not being too overbearing.

Thank you for the helpful post. And again, I'm glad you are doing better. I hope you continue to seek out family and friends when you need to. You sound like a good person. I'm certain nobody, especially your family, would want anything to happen to you. I don't like to see anyone in pain or suffering. I always wonder what would have happened if my nephew would have stopped and reached out to a friend. He might still be here. I'm glad you made the the choice to talk to someone before it got to that point.
    Keep reaching out for support, and thanks again.

#3 jnv7594, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello jnv7594! Welcome to EC!:slight_smile:

Thank you for being such a thoughtful and caring mom!

As gaynonsense explained, LGBTQ kids often develop a support network of friends before Coming Out to key people in their lives such as parents and, sometimes, even best friends. If your daughter has such a support network, that’s great!

In terms of your daughter saying that she was worried that you would judge her, that’s completely normal for us. We are usually afraid of disappointing parents by being LGBTQ and for dashing our parent’s dreams of us having a traditional family. The reality for us is that grow up in a heteronormative society where we are still often taught that being anything other than heterosexual is wrong or abnormal or that we are freaks. So it can be extremely traumatic to Come Out to those closest to us. We can never really KNOW how someone will react when we Come Out and when we Come Out to someone upon whom we rely for unconditional love and support and whose opinion of us means the world to us, the merest possibility of rejection is terrifying. In that moment when we Come Out, we are sharing something very personal and private about ourselves and we feel totally vulnerable while we await a reaction. Even if the person we are Coming Out to is totally accepting, the moment between Coming Out and getting a reaction can feel like we are waiting for an eternity and being judged for who we are. Do NOT take her fear of Coming Out to you as a negative comment on the relationship between the two of you. Her fear was about her, not you. Instead, take the fact that she DID Come Out to you as a massive sign of trust in you and your love for her.

Keep her confidence. As gaynonsense alluded to, this is not your information to share. It’s your daughter’s and she can choose to share it or not of her own volition. If there is someone that you feel needs to know (such as another family member), then talk to her about it, but, unless she gives her consent for you to tell anyone else, consider it privileged information.

As far as talking to your daughter about this goes, you should feel free to ask questions and let her know your concerns, but don’t treat her generally any different than you would have before knowing that she is gay. She is still a normal teen. She just won’t be dating boys.

It seems likely that your daughter’s depression and cutting may very well have been tied to her struggle with her sexuality. In most cases, when we are finally able to Come Out to our parents and closest friends, our relationships with them become stronger than ever and a great weight is lifted off of our shoulders when we are unconditionally loved and accepted for who we really are.

The fact that you were upset and sad down and cried is a completely normal reaction. One of the first things on most parent’s minds when we Come Out is concern for our welfare and worry about having to deal with prejudice and hatred in the world for being who we are. The good news is that in many places in the world, including much of the US, is far more educated about the realities of LGBTQ people and much more accepting. Certainly far more accepting than when I was your daughter’s age back in the late 80’s. But no parent can truly shield or protect their children from some of the nastiness in the world as much as they would like to. Even some straight kids get picked on at school. If you’ve raised your daughter to be a strong person and you can reinforce her self-image, she shouldn’t have a problem coping. She can make sure that she only keeps accepting friends around her and, if necessary, report any bullying at school. When she gets to High School (I’m assuming that will be next year?), you can check to see if the school has a Gay-Straight Alliance or an LGBTQ club that she may be interested in joining.

I would recommend that you check out the PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) website. You can search for a chapter near you. They can help answer some of your questions concerns with regard to having an LGBTQ daughter and most chapters host support groups for parents of LGBTQ children (and if they don’t, they should know of any such support groups in the area). Also, I strongly recommend that you download and read their pamphlet Our Children at your earliest opportunity. It can help you better understand your new reality with regards to your daughter.

Feel free to interact with us here on EC any time.

I hope some of that gives you a better perspective.

I wish you and your daughter all the best!:slight_smile:

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! I first came out as gay when I was 14 too, and now I'm a lesbian in my late 20's :slight_smile: My Mom was equally as supportive and it really helped me get through life without much problem or hate for my sexuality.

You're doing great. Don't feel bad about crying though. It's a huge shock and I understand how worried you will be. But I think kids bully kids for no good reason all the time. I wasn't out in high school, but I got severely bullied for other reasons. High school is just a tough time for any kid.

As long as you stay supportive, she'll have minimal issues. The depression probably started from bottling this up.

6. jnv7594

Thank you quantumreality and creativemind for the responses. Quantumreality, I appreciate the links you listed. Actually, PFLAG was one of the first organizations I looked into yesterday, even before I found this forum. I checked to see if they have any active groups here, and it looks like they do have. The one in our town doesn't appear to be active; however, there are active chapters in several nearby towns. That's something I thought about mentioning to my daughter later if she needs additional support. And she is going into high school this next year, yes. It didn't occur to me that there may be groups in her high school as well. I will have to check into that and ask her later if it's something she might be interested in. I'm lucky in that I have a close friend/coworker that is gay and has openly talked to me on many occasions on what he's been through and where he got support. My first thought was to call him and talk to him, but as you said, I don't want to talk to anyone or tell anyone in our group of friends and family right now without telling her. I don't want to feel like I'm going behind her back, which is why I sought out a forum like this that I know is neutral ground. Right now, I'm just giving her space and going about business as usual. I want her to understand that nothing has changed between us, and that our home is a safe place for her to be and that she can count on me for support. It's hard for me not to jump into mom mode and ask a million questions but I don't want to seem pushy and make her uncomfortable.

Creativemind, I was severely bullied in high school as well. That is probably why going through middle school and high school were things I dreaded for her. I didn't want to see her go through the bullying that I did. Luckily, things have gone fairly smoothly for her in middle school, and I hope that will continue into high school. That is the main reason I was crying. Being a kid is so hard the way it is, and I know how cruel other kids can be. I think you're right that her depression and cutting may have stemmed from her confusion about who she is. But I also know, like me, she's a sensitive person who takes things to heart. I'm just going to be here for her and give her support when she needs it and offer outside support if she needs it. I hope that will at least help.

Thanks again to you both for all your advice.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey jnv7594,

Welcome to EC!

First of all, congratulations on being such a great mom. The world would be better if we had more parents accepting parents like you, who seek knowledge and information. :slight_smile:

I don't have much more to add right now: You are doing right by reassuring her that you are there for her, without asking too many questions. I mean, of course, it is totally fine for a parent to question their children, but it is nice to take it slow when possible, to avoid overwhelming her.

We are here if you or your daughter need anything. Don't hesitate to ask! :slight_smile:

8. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Let me start out with saying that you already are, just in saying all of this and reacting how you did, you are the mom i would have loved to have. You're such a good mother to her. Yeah other kids'll say shit and all that but i'm sure that having you there, that knowing you still love her and accept her no matter what...that should mean a lot to her. I don't know that myself i've never had that. But i've dealt with depression, anxiety, cutting, repressed sexuality all that since i was in middle school and i had no one. So just reading all this...if i had had somebody like you, it would have meant the world to me, so surely it means a lot to your daughter. Kids aren't gonna admit it but their parents opinion means a lot to them.

I dunno if this is intrusive or not but...what all have you done about the cutting? If she's still cutting maybe i've got advice. I mean hell i'm still doing it off and on at 25 but i've stopped before. I just wondered what you'd done about it and wondered if you'd want an insiders' perspective, if she's still doing it.

9. jnv7594

Thank you Chiroptera and Lunarlyric. I have to say tonight my daughter and I had a wonderful conversation. We talked for I think almost two hours. She was talking about one of her friends at school (the friend that told her she should tell me), and about her friend liking this boy. And I took a chance to ask her a couple of questions. She was very open and willing to talk. She even said "ask me anything you want." She almost seemed relieved I asked. I didn't ask much. Just if there were any girls she was interested in, and if her friends were being supportive. She has only told her one friend, and I know that her friend is supportive. She did tell me there was a girl that she likes, and that she's just never been attracted to boys even though she said she tried to be. She knows she's not allowed to date yet. That was true before she came out to me, lol. But she also said that she's not ready to date yet anyway. She just likes the one girl, but she said they are just friends anyway.

After that she just started talking. I let her pretty much lead the conversation and asked questions here and there. She said she has been struggling with this for a while and been struggling to accept the fact that she's gay for a couple of years. She also told me that was a big reason for her cutting and being depressed last year. She said she had been up at night thinking about this, worried that she was gay, worried what people would think. It breaks my heart that she was struggling through all this, and I didn't know the extent of it. I wish she would have come to me sooner, BUT I'm so happy she came to me now to talk. She did tell me that she had finally accepted the fact that she was gay, and that was when she decided to talk to someone.

The more we talked the more upbeat she was about things. It's funny but she seems content with it now. Of course, she has been working through it for a long time. She did tell me she was scared to tell anyone. She knew I would be okay with it, but there was a part of her that was scared I would be mad because she had read articles online about parents rejecting their kids. She told me that it was nothing I had done, just a fear inside her. And she even thanked me for being so good about it and supportive to her. I tell ya, I don't know how I got so lucky to have such a great kid. I couldn't be prouder of her. Right now, she seems to be doing well. I think me and her friend giving her support has boosted her confidence a bit. She says she doesn't want to tell anyone else right now, and I told her that was fine. That she could tell others in her own time.

Overall, I'm surprised how well this is going, and I really hope she stays on this path. I told her all I want, all I've ever wanted, is for her to be happy. She has my unconditional support and she can talk to me any time. And I hope that she does.

Thanks all so much for your advice. It's greatly appreciated.

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2017 at 01:46 AM ----------

Oh, and lunarlyric. You're not being intrusive. Luckily, she only cut the one time. I saw the cuts and said something to her right away last year. She told me tonight that she did that on a night she couldn't sleep and was struggling with accepting being gay. She was frustrated and scared and didn't know how to handle it. She said she had a friend that had tried cutting in the past, and she tried it out of frustration to see if it helped. Makes me so sad to type this. :frowning2:

After I saw the cuts, I got her into counseling (she already had a counselor as she has struggled with anxiety) and I have kept a close eye on her. For a while I was even checking her over. I had issues with this when I was younger too, so I knew what to look for, and what areas to look for cuts. Her cuts on her arms have healed and the scars are barely noticeable now, and over the past six months or so she has seemed so much happier, especially now since we've talked. She opened up to me about the cutting a bit more and promised that she won't do it again. After monitoring her for a while, I put my trust back in her that she is being honest about it, but to be frank, I am still erring a bit on the side of caution where the cutting is concerned.

One thing I will say is that her and I have always been very close. That's why I had such a hard time over her pulling away and shutting herself off from me last summer when she was dealing with all of this. It's also why I'm so surprised she didn't talk to me sooner. But after I found the cuts on her arm, she new how upset I was and she said she knew I was worried and scared and she didn't want to see me like that again. I think that is PART of why she stopped before it got out of hand. Hopefully, she also stopped for herself and because she is now facing what she was struggling through and accepting who she is. I will always keep a watchful eye on her because of the cutting, but I hope that she is passed it now.

Thank you for the offer to help though. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2017 at 02:01 AM ----------

...And I'm so sad you didn't have a bigger support system. That's always hard to hear. I hope that has changed for you and you have some support in your life now. Also, I can't tell you how much I appreciate hearing that you would want a mother like me. As a single parent, I struggle sometimes wondering if I am being a good parent to her, so that is always good to hear. I'm just sorry you didn't have the support you deserved.

#9 jnv7594, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  10. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah okay. Yeah luckily some people try it cause of a friend but never get into it. It can end up being a somewhat addictive coping mechanism. That's all it is, a coping mechanism, but its a pretty fucked up one. Well its good that you got her help and that you have such a close relationship with her. Honestly it sounds like regardless of whatever else she may or may not have going on, her telling you is a good thing for her. You keep saying she seemed happier and relieved and that she thanked you.

And thanks for the added paragraph blurb thing. And no, not really i don't have any real support, just nice supervisors who seem to notice shit. I mean the supervisors at work know but not cause i ever tell them anything, they know cause i decided 'fuck it' and started wearing short sleeves to work with couple day old cuts showing on more than one occasion. Eventually just scars, but i scar easily so they'll be there for a while. I didn't do it wanting them to say something, i did it cause i knew they wouldn't. Like why hide it and suffer feeling hot in a jacket if nobody's gonna give a damn about it.

Idk if its just cause i paid more attention for it but they seem to be nicer to me ever since then. They'll ask how i'm doing sometimes, the supervisors i mean. One supervisor in particular, the one who know has a position somewhere in between supervisor and front end manager...he just froze and looked shocked but he didn't say anything, it wasn't the time or the place. He's done that a few times, looking, but i get the impression he just doesn't know what to say. One time he made a point to walk over to me to check on me but i got nervous and tongue tied and said the first thing that came to mind, and asked about something a customer had needed help with. He'd come over looking all serious and said he noticed i looked sad and lonely and i fucked it up. I guess he took it the wrong way though cause he's never done that since. He's the one that i'm pretty sure is gay which is...conflicting, i guess, cause it'd be cool to get to talk to him. But i don't even know for sure if he is or even if he's the type to tell others shit. I just heard him mention something about a boy a few times.

11. ichigoael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm amazed at how early your daughter came out to you, kudos! Honestly, her thinking that you might judge her, is a normal thing... At least for me. I had a hard time coming out with my mother because I thought that she might judge me but I know that she has no problems with the gays and such, it's just that when I think about it... It's difficult and feels peculiar to be.... peculiar, even though it's me. (If that makes sense). Being gay is embracing what you are, and that is being different. Truth be told, we are all different, yes, but what's imbibed in every human being is that being gay is being different, that's what gives us (or at least me) a second to hesitate in coming out to my own mom, whom I know who'd accept me unconditionally no matter what.

I think you're a great mom!! You're being there for her, supporting her, embracing her for what she is. Don't take the "she thinks you'll judge her" too much, although I'd admit, it would sting a lot, but actions speak louder than words so be happy for her because she's embarked on a road to self-discovery, and she's overcome what any other gay kid has to go through -- come out to his/her family. Furthermore, she may have judged herself first, thus her thinking of you judging her. Also, you might not have to feel the need to keep asking her about her transition, being there for her to listen is different from suffocating her with a bunch of questions regarding what she's feeling inside and changes in her body etc etc., I'd go with the flow and just follow her pace. I'm sure she's undergoing a lot of pressure, as well because of sudden changes in behavior and feelings. I'd let her adjust with herself and her surroundings first. You're a great mom, and she seems to be a great kid.

She'll turn out fine in your care!!

12. beenthrdonetht

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What LunarLyric said. And you got an A+ on this one. I had a mom like you... I can think of so many times when she gave good advice... and there must have been many others when she held her tongue and let me find my way. The reason your kid was so honest and open with you is because of your parenting.

LunarLyric, I have seen plenty of postings from you that were spot-on. Twenty-five years of maturing seem to have worked. I'm so sorry you aren't free from the tentacles of what bothers you. But remember the good you are doing on EC.

13. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey jnv7594,

Thank you so much for sharing this! We rarely get to hear such positive Coming Out stories from the parents’ point of view.

Like I mentioned before, please don’t dwell on your daughter’s hesitation to Come Out to you earlier. When we are questioning our sexuality, it’s about us, not you, our parents and closest friends. Your daughter told you as much in your most recent conversations. As I said, the journey to understanding and accepting our sexuality is one that we can only take alone. There is nothing more that you could have done for her during her questioning period.

Having said that, I would like to extend my personal thanks to you for making your daughter’s Coming Out one of the smoothest and most welcoming that I know of.

So thanks again! For being a great, understanding, and accepting mom as well as for having the wisdom to seek out help such as from this site about things that you can’t relate to on a level of personal experience, but which are important to your daughter!

14. jnv7594

LunarLyric, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wish there was something I could say or do to help you. Just know that you have been a great help to me, and I am sure to others that come here as well. If it's any solace at all, your words are appreciated and helpful.

And thank you to everyone commenting for your supportive words. We are still doing great and I have a feeling this is just going to make our relationship stronger. If nothing else, maybe she will be a little less worried to come talk to me if she needs to. I think sometimes we go through life forgetting to remind our friends and family that we are here for them. We just assume they know. So this has been a wake up call for me to maybe remind her a little more often.

On a side note, I have dealt with my fair share of rejection from family and bullying from other people. I know it's not the same, as I've not been through exactly what she's experienced or what you all have experienced. But I think it still gives me some frame of reference for what that can feel like, and how isolating and lonely it can be. I never want her to feel like that. I don't want anyone to feel like that. It's made me afraid to trust people and afraid to let anyone get close to me (other than my daughter of course), but I think it has also made me sensitive to others around me and to how MY actions make them feel. I've always tried hard to be a good parent to her, and as bad as it sounds to not be my mother, lol. I'm glad she came to talk to me, and I hope it's because I'm doing something right. :slight_smile: Being a parent is so hard.

Thank you all again for all your help, kind words and support. I'm really glad I found this forum. It has helped tremendously.

15. Lavendar

Hi! Our stories are very similar and I can relate on feeling sad that my child struggled alone and told others before telling me. From what I'm reading, it's pretty common. I guess us parents are the final frontier. I feel better knowing that most people wait to come out to their parents.

I'm glad your daughter has you, that will make all the difference. Having a home base where she knows that she is loved unconditionally will help her more than anything.

I'd love to chat about next steps. We're considering a PFLAG meeting here and I've encouraged my son to think about joining the LGBTQ group at school. I think I'm gonna bake him a surprise rainbow cake this weekend.

16. Eldridge

I'm now 17 and it's been about 2/3 years since I told my mother and other family found out. My mothers reaction wasn't great and she threw all the generic thing she such as its a phase and I've never seen anything to suggest that therefore it can't be true towards me and that's really damaged the relationship between me and her. You on the other hand have been great from what I've read and you seemed to have handled it in the right way. I think everyone here would agree those who bother where and weren't accepted by there parents. We wanted someone like you To be our parents. Someone who is accepting and will talk to us about what they want to understand. You're doing great and shouldn't be so concerned. Everyone's here to answer any questions you have but the anwsers we have are ours and the answers your daughter has may be totally differrent so talk to her if you have any concerns otherwise you're doing amazing. Keep your head up.