1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my brother gay?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Jack2009, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well my mom told me that my brother is dating some girl just for my dad to think he's not gay...

that sounds pretty gay to me, but I don't want to ask him if he is, and I don't want to out myself in the process.

He's 16, so it be normal to be dating girls and he haven't yet. My dad thinks I'm straight, so there's not a lot of questioning about me. Actually he thinks my brother should be more like me.

I haven't paid much attention to him about that though.

2. Just Adam

jsut assume he is unless he tells you otherwise maybe let it known youd be supportive if he was btu that would bring it up maybe in random convo pretend to see a news article on gay rights and say how in favour you are of teh lgbt community :grin:...unless your out to him then i dunno lol

but dont push him if hes just doign this for dads sake tehn it wont last and he cant hide forever youlljsut have to be there when it comes to a head.

3. paco

paco Guest

it sounds like you're having a few hangups about being gay. just remember, there's nothing bad about it, that's just society being stupid, and it influences everybody in one way or another.

as for your brother; there's no sure way to know unless he tells you because i've seen much "gayer" guys than me that are actually straight and no one knows i'm gay until i tell them.

if you want to know for sure, the fastest way to find out is just be open with your brother, i don't mean you have to tell him you're gay. just act like a brother to him and maybe mention that prop 8 is stupid or something.

siblings can be the easiest to come out to, so just show you're open minded and find out how he feels as well.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

Just tell him he can talk to you whenever he wants and remind him that ur there.

5. CrimsonThunder

I dont think you understand why hes going out with a girl for his dad. Hes doing it to prove hes straight. So he is straight.

And asking him if hes gay does not out you at all..

I dont think its weird for a 16 year old to not have gone out with someone. Doesnt everyone always complain about young people getting into relationships and having sex too early. >_>

6. Just Adam

or hes doing it to make his da happy as he doesent want to upset him .... if your parents preassure you to date a girl and yoru told thats how it should be etc etc... then you would try for them.. and peopel can lie to tehmselves pretty well he might try to make himself be straight..

7. CrimsonThunder

Yeah but I really dont think it is that way.

I think hes finally going out with a girl because hes found out people have taken notice that hes not had a girlfriend and he doesn't want people thinking hes gay.

Not everyone is gay remember.

8. Just Adam

tahts one thing nobody has to tell me... i was jsut giving options withen teh context of teh question taht he might be... but sure he might be straight... and jsut playing the field but he might not too,

it doesent mattwe which jsut leave it to him and if he needs help well aslong as its offered then its fine.

9. s5m1

Good advice.

10. CrimsonThunder

lol it's okay, its just most gay people automatically think someones gay just because of one very small little thing. I think like that some times, but if that was how it works there would be shit all straight people in the world. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. x2x2x2x2y2

He could be gay and just dating her because your dad. Or he could be straight and just dating her because your dad. Maybe he's just not all that interested in girls or dating yet. It happens.

12. starfish

I don't know your brother but it is not really unusual to not date at 16.

It could be that he has other interests, computers, sports, cars, etc. He may have self confidence issues. He may be a late bloomer and thus not have much of a sex drive.

I had nearly zero sex drive until I was 18 and then it was still very low until I hit 21.

Until he decides to tell you what is going on we can only engage in pointless conjecture.