1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My brother had his eyebrows waxed? Is he gay?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Joe00, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Joe00

So basically he said he had his eyebrows waxed to the family... I didn't notice it until he mentioned it. He never had a girlfriend, he complains about girls being whores (which I think is wrong), and he listens to modern pop music.... I didn't thought he was gay much though, until he did his eyebrows. He sometimes fits gay stereotypes, and my father was worried about him being gay. He goes to Church a lot though, Catholic, and my mother thought he would become a priest.

The family was okay with it though, since my mother even encourage it to me to get it done after he had it done. I told her no way (I haven't come out to her yet, I was going too but change my mind), and then she went on that being gay is okay as long as "we" don't date black people... so she's more racist than homophobic.

Do you think there's a high chance he's gay??? I really don't want him to be gay, so that's why. It just would suck if he was gay, because it just would be. Then my mother would think she did something really wrong because she said she felt like Cher in regarding my sister, since she's not too feminine.

He even wants to get his nails done like make them shiny and crap.... maybe he's transvestite I don't know! I don't care if he was a tranny though.

2. Shevanel

Okay.

Is your brother gay because he waxed his eyebrows? No.

Is your brother gay because he never had a girlfriend before? No.

Is your brother gay because he likes pop music? No.

Does getting your nails done make you a transvestite? Definitely not.

Transvestitism is like... completely irrelevant in this case >_>

Based on all of that, there is a POSSIBILITY that he is a "Metrosexual".

Being gay means you like dudes. Simple as that.

So is your brother gay? Seems like only he knows the real answer to that question. If you want to know, ask him.

3. Étoile

I LOL'd when I saw the title. :lol:

I never understand why parents still tell their kids this. We aren't vampire-zombie-crackhead-ninjas. We mean no harm.

Joey covered everything I wanted to say, but in order to make this post meaningful:

None of the things you posted are guaranteed signs that your brother's gay. They can be very strong hints but the only way to know is if he tells you or you ask. And transsexuality :: your brother as llamas :: tutus. Completely unrelated.

Why would it be bad if your brother's gay? Your parents are accepting and you're gay yourself, so what's the issue?

4. Sylver

Wow... there is so much material to work with here... a virtual smorgasbord of stereotypes, cliches, misconceptions and phobias... do I take the bait?

Nope. So rather than bulleting a list of answers, let me suggest that as a gay person yourself you should do some research into what it means to be gay and what it doesn't. Take these stereotypes you have and, one by one, check the facts to see if they're real (I'll give you a hint, most of them aren't). Then come to terms with being gay yourself so that you won't feel bad if your brother turns out to be gay too.

Then ask yourself why you're not ok if he's gay but you'd be ok if he was a transvestite... and then let me know the answer to that one too.

And when you get around to having a little coffee conversation with your mom some day, ask her what she's got against black people. I find it equally as offensive when someone is prejudiced against different races as when they are intolerant of gays. Discrimination is still discrimination in all its forms.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

Being gay means liking guys. That's it. It doesn mean you wax your eyebrows or have giant orgies with other guys or love lady gaga. And any guy can do all of the stereotypical gay things and be straight. The only way to know if your brother is gay would be to ask him.

Oh and my grandma said the same thing about not dating black people. I hate discrimination. It's so stupid.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is your brother gay? I'd say you've got some hints. Nothing more than hints at this stage, but that doesn't mean the hints can't suggest something. While I was growing up, I watched my brother become obsessed with his personal appearance. Got his hair done, and insisted on fashionable clothes for his birthday. He didn't date much, either.

...but he's straight. He's married, has a kid, and he's totally happy. So you don't know. :slight_smile:

>>>Do you think there's a high chance he's gay??? I really don't want him to be gay, so that's why. It just would suck if he was gay, because it just would be. Then my mother would think she did something really wrong because she said she felt like Cher in regarding my sister, since she's not too feminine.

This is the part you have to get over. If he's gay, then he's gay. And it would suck only if those around him made it suck. Resolve not to be one of those people who do.

Lex

7. JudasKissedHIM

Okay… The other guys made their point on the gay stereotype issue. And I agree. I like this post because my parents and family always tell me I can do whatever I want to, as long as I never bring a black girlfriend home. Well they certainly don’t have to worry about the girlfriend part. And I think they won’t have to worry about the black either- I’m not a racist, in fact I live in one of the most cultural/racial diverse countries (a.k.a the Rainbow Nation) and I have African, Asian, Moslem, Colored (not the American version of Colored people), Christian, Afrikaner and Atheist friends. I just prefer to date guys of my own race. So I’d like to know if you guys think I’m a racist by not wanting to date other races?

8. Camman3

Hahaha! My parents are fine with me being gay, but they also can't wrap their heads around "their kids" dating people of colour. It's something weird to them. I've dated a latino guy before and I was recently crushing on (what we call in South Africa without too much hesitation) a coloured guy :slight_smile:love:slight_smile:. I don't have a problem with that hehe...

Getting back to the subject - none of your statements point out that your brother is gay. Unless you ask him and he tells you to your face that he is attracted to guys, he is not gay/bi.

9. Zumbro

I'm curious as to where he got his eyebrows waxed. I recently had mine waxed, but it was from when I went to get a haircut. I was trying a new place, and after they washed my hair the woman said "should we take care of your eyebrows? Don't worry, I do it for all my guys." So I trusted her and said yes. Immediately regretted it when I realized that meant wax, but the pain wasn't too bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It looks nice though, so I don't complain.