1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my brother may be gay?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by mentoaddict, Jul 19, 2011.

1. mentoaddict

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay I don't have anything to really back up my theory but I'm usually pretty good at these kind of theories and they usually turn out to be right. It's not really based on anything I just have this feeling that he's gay. A couple of my friends have asked me if he's gay before as they could imagine him being gay. He's only 14 so may not have figured out his sexual orientation, but do you think I should ask him about it? I don't want to be intrusive, but I also know that I want to be there for him. Also if he is gay I don't want to be the last person he comes out too :/ Any ideas on how to best handle this situation?

2. Markio

This can be a tricky situation. If your intent is "to be there for him," you can do that without asking him right out if he's gay. You can say to him on a regular basis "I'll always support you, no matter what. You know that, right?" He'll get the message, whether he's gay or not, that it would be okay with you if he were.

3. Ben

Ben

I'd say leave it. People need their own space to figure out their sexuality and need to come out in their own time. By all means, let him know that you love him and are always going to be there for him, and passively comment on gay rights, but it's probably best to stop there.

4. FJ Cruiser

I agree with Markio. Just voice your support. For me, fourteen was a very confusing time, and I think being asked would just have confused me even more.

5. feelindown

feelindown Guest

unless he is depressed and looks like he needs help, i say leave it alone.

6. Mark182

Mark182 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd say wait for him to come to you about it.

7. i need help

I would agreeish with the above...let him know you care if he needs something you can help...and if you kinda do want to just get in there a little you could always come out to him if you're not already then he will know he can talk to you

8. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just support him and let him figure things out.

9. Flying Squirrel

Seeing as your status is "not out at all" I would assume that you haven't told him about your sexuality yet... so it would be a little odd if you were to bluntly ask him about his, ya know? Like the others said, there are many ways to let him know that you are there for him. Just be a good big sister and he will come to you when he needs help

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You come out first. Leave him be.

11. Fiddledeedee

I came out to my 16-year-old brother first because he had always been supportive of gay rights and didn't really care about sexuality, if that makes sense. I knew that he wouldn't make a big deal of me being bi. As it is, though, I would have been mortified if he had asked me if I was lesbian; I would have wondered how he figured it out, if everyone knew, if it was that obvious, I might have denied it, etc.. I don't know how I would have felt if he had come out to me before I did to him (he is prettymuch asexual or aromantic or something); I have a problem with feeling inferior to my older brothers, and thinking that while I look up to them and want to be like them all I can ever do is copy and never do something for myself better than they already have. Therefore, it might have made me stay closeted for longer, especially if he had told our parents. However, I am almost certainly unique in that, and your brother will be very different. I would just say, like everyone already, just to wait.

12. solarcat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I don't have any personal experience, but I've read elsewhere that it's best not to confront someone about their sexuality.

Like the previous posters mentioned, let him figure it out for himself, while you do the same for yourself. It can be hard enough just figuring out one's own orientation without trying to figure out someone else's too.

Try to let him know that you're there for him if he needs help. If the issue of gay rights comes up, make your support subtle but clear. Hopefully, if/ when he's ready, he'll feel that he can come to you.

13. mentoaddict

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for all the replies :slight_smile: He already knows that I support gay rights due to things I have said about my gay friends, I make it obvious that I'm not going to judge and I know that a few years back I always said that I wanted a gay best friend so I don't think I can be any more obvious that I support gay rights :slight_smile: I find that that he can be a bit homophobic sometimes and would be disgusted by the idea of someone thinking he was gay even though he has nothing against gay people in general, I can't exactly explain it but I see it more as maybe internalized homophobia on himself or something like he's fine with people being gay as long as it isn't him!

And I'm not intending to come out any time soon as I'm not sure of my sexuality. I mean I always think of growing old with a man and having children. And sexually I think I would only be interested in a man but sometimes you just doubt yourself and think is that only because that's what society had brought us up to want. I am experimenting with looking at everyone openly so I can see both guys and girls as hot or whatever and see what I truly think. I mean yea I can think a girl as hot, I think guys are hot much more often, but I don't know whether me seeing a girl is hot is just admiration or actual attraction, I can't seem to distinguish between the two at the moment