1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My son came out to me....

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Trixie, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Trixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I love my son (1 of 4 sons, 1 foster daughter). I love him with every ounce of my being. We have always had the closest, most loving relationship. I still love him with every ounce of my being, and will until the day I die. I've known. I've known for about 3 years. Thought maybe I was wrong. The only difference it makes to me is that my heart swells knowing we have the type of relationship that he can talk to me. He's 15. My heart breaks for the adversity that he'll face. The judgement. The discrimination. I'm no stranger to alternative lifestyles. I'm married and a firm believer in polyamory. Why would God frown upon any loving and mutual relationship? Do I tell him about my beliefs? Will that help him to understand the level of my acceptance? He's only 15. But he's very mature. Very caring. Very aware. I want to stop crying. I just need time.

2. Mercy

Mercy Guest

aww darlin * hugs tight * im crying reading this hes so lucky so so lucky i wish more kids had moms like you <3

---------- Post added 14th Sep 2012 at 03:36 PM ----------

why not tell him about this site :slight_smile:

3. Gen

Gen

He will see the difference between him and the majority of society, he will hear their opinions, he will deal with judgement, all of this is true. However, our contentment in our lifes isnt based on the opinions of outsiders, it is based on what we decide to do with those opinions. Him knowing that you are there to support him, and you dont find anything wrong with him could be the difference between him loving who he is before the next 40 years pass. I would say that you definitely should sit him down and talk to him. Make sure that he knows that you are there for him.

You are already doing the right thing by trying to figure out how to support him, so dont put yourself down. (*hug*)

4. jvn95

He will do fine because he has a very supportive mother

5. BudderMC

Welcome to EC!

I think Gen hit most of it on the head already, but I'll chime in anyways.

Like Gen said, I think you're already doing well in letting your son know that you're there for him. Sure, it's possible (and arguably more likely than his straight counterparts) that he'll face discrimination and judgement... but at the end of the day, if people want to bully him, they'll find a reason to, regardless of whether or not he's gay - it just makes it easier for them. That's not to say it's acceptable, but it certainly isn't the end of the world. You seem like you're well connected with your son, so I think you'd have an indication if something were seriously wrong. So long as he knows that he has someone on his side, I'm sure he'll do fine.

If you're concerned that he's dealing with this on his own, maybe look for some LGBT resources in your area, or even point him here (if you're comfortable with that).

As for you and your views on polyamory... I think that's very much your decision whether or not you share it with him, but I don't think you need to do it as justification why his being gay is okay. Though I see the parallels, especially in regards to being outside the norm, I don't think he needs much more right now than to just have someone who unconditionally cares for him.

Keep up what you're doing; you sound like a great mother. Come back and post some more if you've got questions or anything, you're always welcome around here. :slight_smile:

6. Trixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you all, for the responses. In the last hour we have talked quite a bit. I feel better. He did catch me sobbing into my hands earlier, so I took the time to explain to him that I wasn't crying about who he is, but the fact that I can't protect him from society. He needs to be proud for who he is and to live his life to the fullest.

7. Gen

Gen

Thats great (*hug*). You are being a good mother, he will be fine.

8. Jared

I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to tell you that you are an awesome mom :slight_smile: If more parents were like you, people wouldn't be as scared coming out, I know I wish my mom had reacted like you did. Just let your son know you're there for him and you support him.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really glad you care so much. Honestly, I am not exactly thrilled most of the time parents come here to post about how their kids came out to them, but you have a really concerned, loving response.

Yes, being queer is playing life on hard mode. But since you understand the oppression he'll face so well, that makes you so much the better ally for him when he desparately needs help (and at some point, he will).

10. Trixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oppression. One of the reasons I'm so sensitive to it is because I am a chick in a male dominated field of employment. I live it. I also reiterated the earlier talk about sex that I had with all 3 of the teens. That they're too young to be having sex but I'm not stupid enough to believe my word is going to be strong enough to stop them. But if they do, condoms, condoms, condoms! That I would buy them for them.

My husband and I have been active in the swinger community for years. Very few people know and the ones that do took a few days to lose the 'shock' face . We all have our own predilections. I accept that. I don't judge, I support.

Thank you all again for your kind words. I feel as though I've been walking in a fog since he told me. I feel it beginning to lift, your advice has been a major part of that.

I will tell him about this site. You guys have been wonderful :slight_smile:

11. Mercy

Mercy Guest

Thanks Trixie <3

12. Ianthe

Hi, Welcome to Empty Closets!

You can tell your son about polyamory. But avoid details--he's not going to want to know about the specifics, probably.

Thank you for being a great mom and loving your son. It's really appalling that I feel like it's necessary to thank you for that, but I do. I think it's actually a minority of parents that aren't accepting these days, but it's still horrible.

I'm sure your son understands; he's probably cried about it a few times himself.

Don't make him ask for condoms; just put some in the bathroom he uses and if they start disappearing, replace them. Also look at the expiration date on them--really old condoms are more likely to break.

If you want, we can hide this thread so that he won't see it.

13. Trixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ianthe.... Lol about the condoms. I just told ALL of my teens where they're kept in my bedroom :slight_smile:

14. Defiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, it's so refreshing to have someone like you to be a mother to your kids. Acceptance is the way forward. Kudos!

While there are places in the world where homosexuality is not accepted or not accepted well, it is, on the whole, much better now.

15. darlig ulv

If anything, he's so lucky to have such a caring and supporting mother.

16. Phantosmiac

Dang! You are awesome Trixie!

17. Trixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks again to everyone for their support :slight_smile:

18. O_Negative

Trixie I am grateful you exist. I wish my mother was like this! I will not, for a long time, tell my parents I am gender fluid. My dad probably wouldn't care...my mom is a diff story. She has a very difficult time wrapping her head around things. It would only cause problems =/...But thanks for being a fantastic supporting mother and being educated without your 20 year old child having to tell you whats going on.

19. Pyrotactick

Aww...It's okay. Your son is strong, just tell him to be himself! Let him live his life comfortably and happily in his own body and mind. If something goes through his way, watch how he reacts but don't be a helicopter parent. Good luck, and your a great mother!

20. Veneficus

You're an awesome mom! I came out to my mother and she was extremely supportive. Trust me when I tell you that having a supportive mother makes things much easier. Just keep being awesome and open with talking to him and he will be fine. It's awesome that you guys have the kind of relationship that you two can talk about things. Once I came out to my mom, I was able to talk to her much more easily.