1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi Mom of M to F Transgender child. Any advice?

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by HippieWitchMama, Jun 22, 2013.

1. HippieWitchMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello everyone! I have been searching for a safe, supportive forum for dealing with my emotions in regards to my 18 year old child who identifies and lives now as female. I love, support accept my daughter fully. Unfortunately that does not mean that I understand everything nor have I dealt with my inner emotions. She is "out" to our family and has moved in with me in order to be able to live full time as female. She isis legally changing her name and starts college in the fall. I am sometimes confused and often worried about her safety and the emotional health of her two younger sisters aged 5 and 7. Are there any other family members of transgender individuals here? The closest PFLAG is more than two hours away. Thanks for listening! (Reading, lol)

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

First off, thanks for posting and may I say, I honestly wish my mother was as supportive as you. I believe my parents to be mildly transphobic, so I'm in an iron closet and plan to be in one until I'm out of the house. That all aside...

I'm afraid I can only offer advice from the other side of the spectrum as a transman, but hopefully I can give you some insight into what it means to be young and trans*.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about how your younger children will handle this. I believe children in general tend to be more accepting than we give them credit for. Might take them some time to understand that their brother is really their sister but they'll come around and soon it'll be a non-issue that they've got a big sister.

3. HippieWitchMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks littlememphis. Her younger sisters love and accept her. They refer to her as their big sister. It only took a couple of weeks before they both adapted to her new name. I could not imagine not accepting my child. I told her I want her to be comfortable and happy. My parents love and accept her also. I wish all children who are LGBT were loved and supported. I am willing to talk, listen, and share with anyone here who needs support! We are all worthy of love and understanding!

4. earthlvr510

I wish my mom were like you. There need to be more parents in the world willing to accept their kids for exactly who they are. Thank you so much for being so accepting!

5. HippieWitchMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are welcome! I accept YOU just the way you are. I will be here to listen and support if you need someone. You are not alone!