1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining my transgirl child to elderly relative, help!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by HippieWitchMama, Jun 24, 2013.

1. HippieWitchMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents accept my transgender MtoF 18 year old. She lives with us and lives full time as female. My mom asked me to ask her to dress more gender-neutral only when our grandfather (85 years old)is there. He barely knows M and is extremely hard of hearing and easily confused. He didn't even recognize me after I got my hair cut short. I felt horrible for asking M to do this because I am absolutely not ashamed of her. She is a good person and is doing nothing wrong. The problem is we don't know how to explain it to Papaw. My mom thinks it would be best to just not mention it. M did not seem upset and complied by wearing capri pants a tshirt and sandals. Any advice on this situation? I feel bad that M is being robbed of a relationship with her great grandfather. She was geographically separated from us for 13 years of her life. Any advice will be helpful, thanks!

Love, Mama

2. Aldrick

My suggestion is to discuss it with your daughter.

From my perspective I see no reason not to tell him as everyone else knows and is accepting. She clearly has a support network. This is less of an issue on how he'd take it, and more of an issue of how your daughter feels.

3. HippieWitchMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree. The main issue is my Mom's request. I felt like she should have talked to M about it. I am grateful that M is mature enough to respect my Mom's wishes even though it was an unfair request.

4. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Everyone has to take older relatives into consideration when we go visit family. I have a grandmother who would probably slap me if I wore a sleeveless shirt. Maybe if you just think about it like that?

Chances are, no matter how well you explain it to an older relative, they will not understand. I am not going to tell my grandmother I am a lesbian. She still thinks tampons are for morally loose women. Talk to your daughter about it. Maybe she will feel like it is okay to just let it be. Not hide herself...my no means should she hide herself, but wear capris like you mentioned.

5. Aldrick

HippieWitchMama -

The issue, as I see it, is that your mother isn't in a position to make such a request. It's a bit like had you entered into an interracial marriage, and your mother told you never to tell your grandfather or introduce your husband because he is a racist.

The issue isn't his feelings (or anyone's feelings, really). The issue is the ability of your daughter to live her life openly and authentically. It sends the message that we should change ourselves to please others and make them comfortable - even to go as far as to tell blatant lies.

IMO, the best way to handle this would have been to say something like, "I just wanted you to know that your great grandfather, due to his age, might not understand that you're a trans woman. He probably doesn't even know what being trans is - I just wanted to see what you thought. It's entirely your call if you want him to know or not, either way we completely stand behind your decision."

Just IMO. Your daughter might not care, and she may even agree that it's the best decision. I just think - like you said - it was an unfair request that your mother wasn't in a position to ask. I mean, what do you really say to something like that? "Yeah, that's nice grandma, I'm going to do it anyway." Somehow, I don't think that would be the response she wanted. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: