1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I struggle to sleep

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Beware Of You, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

Recently I struggle to sleep, I just can't get a good night's sleep at all. Like tonight I went to bed at 11, and woke up at 3, unable to sleep at all. Some nights I get 0 hours.

Even on a good night I wake up at 5am which is still too early.

2. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ignoring how much sleep you're getting, do you feel well-rested? Most adults need about 7.5-9 hours of sleep each night, but there are a select few who can get by with just 6 hours, though these people are few and far between.

I don't know much about waking up in the night and then not being able to go back to sleep, but I have a few suggestions for improving sleep in general that might help you:

-If you don't already, try doing some exercise or physical activity during the day. If you don't, you might have too much energy to fall asleep. That being said, doing physical activity within about 3 hours of going to bed can get you excited, which is just a hindrance when it comes to falling asleep.
    -You should fall asleep within 30 minutes of going to bed, so if you find yourself lying in bed awake for more than 30 minutes, you should get out of bed and do a quiet activity until you start feeling tired again. Otherwise you'll associate your bed with a place to be awake rather than asleep.
    -Tying into that last point, during the day you really shouldn't be sitting or lying on your bed because again, you'll associate your bed with a place to be awake rather than asleep.
    -Avoid light sources such as computers, video games, television, etc. for about an hour before going to bed. Light hinders the production of melatonin, which is the hormone that makes us feel tired.
    -Lastly, addressing your situation specifically, everyone has a different sleep cycle. Some can't fall asleep until 11 or 12, others start feeling tired around 8 or 9. Your internal sleep schedule might be set earlier than average, meaning your body will just kind of wake up naturally around 5 AM. Do you think you'd be able to fall asleep around 9?

Anyways, those are some of my thoughts, I hope this helps.

3. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like insomnia, could be depression or any other number of things. It's something to ask your doctor about.

It takes 4 hours for you to enter REM sleep and if you don't sleep for 4 hours straight you won't wake up feeling rested. If it continues like that you'll start hallucinating and all kinds of fun stuff. So call your doctor ^,^ I'm on Trazodone, but still wake up in the middle of the night.

4. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A tip from personnal experience,change the direction in wich you sleep,it might help.

5. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Recently over the last month I have been finding it hard to sleep and I wake up in a hot sweat when I do manage to sleep.
    I suffer from depression and this has always made me very tired, but it was strange how it changed. So I saw my doctor and he said it is still anxiety where the adrenaline kicks in and to try various relaxation techniques. None have helped so far, are you very stressed ?

6. LelliLou

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Insomnia is a B! I suffer from it due to depression and my illness.

hope you manage to get some decent sleep soon

x

7. Beware Of You

No I don't feel well rested, I m like a 1/2 shut knife first thing.

8. AKTodd

On the home remedy side, try eating a spoonful of peanut butter when you wake up in the night or if you can't sleep. That said, you've been going thru a lot lately and it could be impacting your sleep. Talk to your therapist and/or dr and they may be able to help you resolve whatever is keeping you awake or prescribe something.

Todd

9. Ang

Ang

Out Status:
    Some people
    Appreciate how you feel as I think I'm only getting a couple of hours a night at the moment. I've never been one for much sleep and I am one of those people mentioned that can usually get through on six hours with no problems. But what I'm getting now just isn't cutting it.

I usually find that exercise earlier in the day helps but know it's a vicious cycle. If you can't sleep you don't have the energy to exercise. Currently sitting trying to make sure I stay awake so I can hopefully get some sleep tonight.

Hope you get a bit more sleep in tonight.

10. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Been there. Waking early is commonly associated with depression. In my case ... it proved also to be anxiety not allowing my mind to rest. Poor sleep made me feel wretched for ages.

In the end I went for medication which helped get me back in the pattern. If you don't like doctors there are plenty of over the counter tablets available. Other techniques for getting a good sleep can be googled ...

:sleep:

11. flight

I was having trouble sleeping. It was due to my anxiety so if you are worried about something you may want to speak to someone about it.

The therapist recommended lavender oil. She said a few drops around your bed will make you more relaxed, but too much will make you depressed. I never tried it. Look it up to get the dosage right. I never tried it, but it might help!