1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longterm/Permanent Hair Removal

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by srslywtf, Jul 7, 2013.

1. srslywtf

OK looking for some info.. I am not into body hair at all. I can deal with it if it's kept trimmed, but to me I'd rather it not be there. Shaving has to be done ever-vigilantly because stubble is even more horrible than trimmed hair, wax ... ouch. also ingrown hairs are ew. I'd rather shortly trimmed hair than ingrown hairs and stubble.

Laser hair removal seems like a good option, although not exactly 'permanent' I imagine it's expensive though...

1) How much would it cost to say, get my ass lasered? my whole body?

2) How long has it been around? Specifically I'm wondering about long-term health implications, eg - cancer rates in people who have had laser hair removal a long time ago (if its been around long enough). If it's still relatively new I'll probably hold off on it for a while until some real life info on long-term safety becomes apparent.

Also what about the other methods? Electrolysis etc... Anyone know anything? I'd never even heard of it until today.:help:

2. CatofOld

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well cost is going to depend on many factors here are some to think about.

1) Where are you going to be getting this done? Setting range from the cheapest, which are take home treatments that you do yourself to trusted professional clinics. You really do often get what you pay for. You are unlikely to hurt yourself with a couple hundred dollar take home device...you are also unlikely to remove any hair. The real danger is the fly by night clinics, which can seem like a good deal, but they can burn and scar you if the procedure is done improperly (and sometimes even if done properly, see risks). Laser hair removal should only be done in a properly staff and trained facility. Ask questions before you let someone point a laser at you.

2) How many treatments you need will dramatically alter the cost, laser hair removal works by killing the follicles. The easiest to treat is coarse dark hair on light skin, the hardest is male facial hair. The usual minimum number is 7 sessions.

3) I found a place in Sydney, that is quoting about $650 for genital hair (8 sessions if it takes longer it will cost more), so that should give you a rough idea of the cost you are talking about.

Now on to the risks...

Before you look at long term risk you should pause to take a moment to think of the acute risk
    1) Scarring
    2) Burning/blistering
    3) Permanent discoloration (post procedure sun exposure can increase this risk, so be aware you will need to be vary faithful to sunscreen for a year or more)
    4) Skin irritation

Long Term Side Effects:
    The easiest one is eventually hair regrowth. The thing is the studies just don't exist for me to go really indepth on laser hair removal long term risk. Is there an increase in skin cancer, I could logically see where it might increase melanoma risk (melanoma risk is related to short bursts of high intensity exposure as opposed to things like basal cell carcinoma that are related to long term cumulative damage.). This procedure is similar in many ways to a blistering sunburn. Other then that the data just isn't there yet.

3. LD579

Ah, I don't know how long term you're talking, so I apologize if this is out of place.

There are depilatory creams that get rid of hair. They work on the surface and so don't get rid of hair entirely, but results are better than shaving.

Be sure, if you do get some and use it, that you only use it on places that are okay. Sensitive areas which you should avoid unless it's specified that it's okay to use the cream there are the face, perianal area, genital area, and underarm area. Also, don't use it on places that you have cuts on, and follow the instructions and timing, otherwise you could end up with burns.

There's also waxing. This gets rid of hair at the root and so results last longer as the hair must grow back from scratch. Hair supposedly grows back softer and thinner, and so it is less noticeable. One larger downside is that the hair must be of a certain length, depending on the product, and it also can kind of hurt. If you're like me and a little pain is nothing, waxing might be a nice option to consider. You could either do it yourself or get it done 'professionally'.

4. Hefiel

I've been considering waxing as well. Much less expensive than laser or electrolysis although not permanent, but last longer than razor. I just need to find the right product first.

5. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have waxed almost all my body last week at a nearby hairdresser that also performs waxing both on males and females. I can tell you the results are way better than shaving, as it was my first time doing it, my skin got a bit irritated, but from now the more I do it, the less I will suffer (yes it hurted a bit, but nothing you can't handle) and the hair will grow less and smaller with time, guess it won't stop growing like you so much desire, although I'd say it's your best option besides laser which is indeed expensive.