1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it time to see a therapist?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by lazyfire, Jul 9, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friends, and family have been saying that I look way to skinny.

I am 5'7, weigh 118.6 lbs, and I am almost 17.

An average male is supposed to weigh about 133 lbs for my height. But, I still don't see anything about me that is skinny. I don't see anything fat about myself either. I just think I look normal. I eat small portions but eat everything at the table. Sometimes, I can't bring myself to eat more than a serving (1 full plate).

I am 14 pounds underweight and I'd just noticed (5 minutes ago). Yet, I don't think I'm skinny. And, most of the time, I get hungry at midnight but I just ignore it and sleep.

Any tips? Should I seek help or just leave it as it is?

Thanks.

~lazyfire

#1 lazyfire, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. KingdomKeyDK

I think you're fine. Don't worry. I have a friend just like you. He is just fine. I ususally get hungry late too, but that's because you probably haven't eaten in a while. It is totally fine. There's nothing to worry about.

3. SomeNights

Agreed, as long as you not intentionally not eating your probably fine my cousin is something like 25lbs underweight, but the thing you have to remember is that those height/weight scales are made off of averages witch means you have to have some highs and some lows to balance it out......and you just got lucky enough to be on the low side :wink:

4. photoguy93

Yes,yes, yes. Even before I read your post, I knew the answer was yes. The answer is almost always yes.

I'll add this, though - make sure you find a good therapist. A bad therapist is definitely not worth it.

5. DaniJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't say you need to see a therapist, however you may want to see a doctor. Being underweight can be a problem, or you may be underweight because of a problem. Seeing a doctor to make sure everything is fine would be the best bet.

6. AAASAS

I have a problem with weight too, I am fine with my weight, but hate it when people make comments about being skinny, it makes me feel like a frail freak.

If you are fine with your weight than that's all that matters.

I would go see your GP and make sure that there is no health problems causing you to be skinny, but I would most likely say you are just a skinny person naturally.

The average is an average and is taken from data of real height and weights of people, this means there are plenty of people UNDER that average and ABOVE that average, the average comes from an overall general weight when all the weights are added together and divided by the populous.

The data is I guess messed with a bit so that is represents a more healthy weight; I'm sure if you took the weight of most Americans and created averages they would be significantly higher than what is stated now.

So what I am trying to say is that average is an overall guideline and people naturally fall above and below it, it isn't weird to not be the exact height.

I weigh about the exact average for my height, yet I look extremely skinny, and am extremely skinny. My body is just different, so my "healthy" weight actually is above what my doctor would say because I already am skinny at "healthy" weight. Just further proof that the average isn't universal, and depends on the person.

7. TraceElement

Like others have said, 133 is an average. There has to be some lower that 133. With that being said, if you are concerned with it, mention it to your primary on your next visit. If they say you are fine, then explain to everyone that the doctor said that you are fine, and leave it at that.

8. Linguistic_Geek

I eat everything in sight and am still underweight. I have a fast metabolism. Maybe you do too. If it's worrying you, check with a dr. If they think a therapist is needed, they'll let you know. You might just have a fast metabolism.