1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel less tired during university

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ptacub, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ptacub

ptacub Guest

Hey guys

Uni starts soon and I have a very busy schedule ahead (one day I start at 7:30 and have no break until 15:20). I had a problem last semester where I had trouble concentrating in class because I felt very burned out and tired during the day. I would start out fine during the day but then quickly I would feel so sleepy I can barely pay attention in class. Then, I can barely do my work after university because I felt so sleepy and tired.

Do you guys have any suggestion on ways to remain awake and alert during the day? If it helps, I have metabolic syndrome, so I guess my blood-sugar levels may have something to do with it.

I have tried taking 20-minute naps and meditating but my mind will trail off back to my worries and I can never rest. Is there anything else I can do?

2. secrethermit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's your diet like? Eating unhealthily, or not eating regularly (or both) can make people tired.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you get a good night's sleep? Are there any other concerns that possibly make you anxious or depressed?

I had a horrendous and undiagnosed problem with what must have been depression during college. I slept easily for 8 hours at night. However, I also catnapped at a 1:2 ratio for all the studying I did in the library. This involved being in the library, or another study area, all day long during the academic year. I didn't have this problem when I was at work during the summers, probably because I worked independently, it was fairly mindless, and I worked with people who were genuinely likable.

So, is there something else that could keep you agitated or distracted?

4. ptacub

ptacub Guest

My diet isn't fantastic, I admit, but I don't eat very unhealthily. Normally I will take a sandwich to uni but will feel hungry later so will buy myself lunch at uni (which is normally junk food, though I do buy from one "health" restaurant).

I do tend to stress a lot, especially with university. I sometimes cannot sleep because I can't seem to get my mind to shut off. But this is independant of whether I do still get a good night's sleep: I still end up feeling tired even if I did get a full 8-hour sleep.

With other worries and concerns, I'm not out of the closet fully so sometimes I do worry about that, but otherwise it's mostly the stress of trying to balance everything in my life (last semester I kind of neglected my friends because I was focused on trying to pass my modules).

5. Fifty Ways

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exercise? Have you tried exercise?

6. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I don't exercise often -- mostly because I don't have the time. My only exercise is the walks between classes. :/

7. Mrcake

I have been going to school full time and working full time for the past year, and have managed to get good grades. The key to all of this is prioritizing and being dedicated. The first thing I recommend is getting the proper amount of sleep - 7-9 hours per night. You should also try and get 150 minutes of exercise per week, according to the National Institute of Health - Exercise helps keep your body healthy and makes you feel better; exercise also wakes you up. Another thing is scheduling - Plan your day - Say you wake up and allocate 1 hour to getting ready, go to school for 6 hours, workout for 45 mins, and then eat meals. Use the allotted time for doing other activities. Also, another highly recommended thing is caffeine - I always drink coffee or energy drinks daily to keep me alert and focused. Another big thing is diet - you said you eat sort of healthy, well I bet you don't realize that cafeteria food is horrible for your brain. Did you know that you could eat a sandwich and a bag of chips, and find out in an hour that you are tired? Well the reason is glycemic index ( look this up ). You need brain food and complex carbohydrates to nourish your body/brain. Another food fact: Try brain foods ( Eggs ) they help before a test because a chemical called choline helps brain function. Definitely try packing your sandwiches for lunch, and choose the wheat bread over white, fruit instead of chips, and water instead of sugary drinks. Soon you will see the difference in your energy levels. Hope this helps! Take care - Mrcake

8. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I guess that's one of the issues: last semester I didn't priorities and plan properly, which the stress I guess only added to it.

I do often take my own lunch to university, but I will get hungry after a while and end up buying food at university (I can sometimes be at uni for 6 - 10 hours a day). I do eat white bread (not out of choice. I prefer brown bread but my father is full of it) and I don't eat snacks while at uni.

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my Dad and I both have blood sugar issues (reactive hypoglycemia, which can be a precursor to metabolic syndrome), and one thing we've both noticed is that going too long without eating makes us sleepy. So maybe you should try carrying healthy snacks with you and eating something every couple of hours.

10. BudderMC

I vehemently disagree with caffeine. Caffeine, essentially like any other drug, is very addictive and not overly good for your health. Moreover, it isn't necessary to stay awake. The thing with caffeine is because it's a stimulant, while it does help you keep alert/energized, if you become reliant on it you'll feel even worse when you don't have it (thus, dependency). I've avoided caffeine for more-or-less my entire university career and I can manage the same energy levels as people in my program who have multiple coffees a day.

A good diet is key to your energy levels. Beyond eating healthily, make sure you're eating regularly as well. If you can manage it, attempt to split your food intake over several (say 5) small meals throughout the day rather than the standard 3 - it'll help to spread out the energy you receive from food throughout the day. If you have periods where you can't eat any sort of meal, make sure you pack some snacks or something with you.

Exercise is also good for keeping you healthy. Even if you don't exercise regularly, getting outside for a bit of physical activity can give you a bit of an energy rush afterwards. The fresh air would probably do some good as well.

And of course, regular sleep schedules. Don't stay up too late and try to go to bed/wake up regularly each day, even if it means getting up for 8am and not having class until 11am. It'll do you wonders.

Beyond that, I personally use music. I blast some high-energy music when I'm feeling sluggish to help keep me upbeat. If my day allows it, I'll take a short power nap as well (~20 minutes) in the middle of the day if I'm tired.

11. ptacub

ptacub Guest

I do intend to take snacks and a few sandwiches to university from now on. What would you recommend as good snacks to eat that help maintain energy. Fruit is an obvious option, but what about dried fruit and nuts?

I sometimes have trouble sleeping due to stress, but more often than not I go to bed at 10 and wake up 6:30.

12. Mrcake

I always bring my lunch to uni and I have been there for 8 hours. You just have to be sure to pack good hearty food. Try making sandwiches that are high in whole grains and fiber. Pack fruit instead of chips, and a few handfulls of nuts. For snacking, I recommend eating something like trail mix - get the healthy kind that has nuts in it like pumpkin seeds, almonds, and craisins. Try not buying food from the cafeteria, it all will have preservatives and other bad things in the food. Just try eating foods that are high in fiber and you will definitely see a big difference with your hunger levels. If you get extra hungry then pack two sandwiches or more healthy snacks.

13. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    powernap 20 minutes at noon should help. 20 mins exactly, no more no less

14. apostrophied

I find that when I exercise, I get less tired. Every hour of exercise brings me an extra hour of energy in the day. I used to swim 3-4 hours a week and wow, did that ever give me extra energy. Why don't you try exercising in the summer while you (presumably) have more time, and do all you can to keep it up when you get back to school?

And yeah, eating real meals really helps. Nothing wrong with sugar, but candy bars are not a meal (no idea if you do that, but I know a lot of people do and then wonder why they're so tired...).

The last thing I can think of is maybe get some bloodwork done to rule out anemia, hypothyroidism or more complicated issues/conditions which might affect you.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

15. ptacub

ptacub Guest

So uni started and I've been taking your advice. I do notice that I'm a bit more energetic, but I guess I will have to see when the semester is in full swing.

Thanks guys! :slight_smile:

16. BudderMC

You'll probably slow down a bit once the semester gets busier (just because you'll have more work), so don't fret about that. Just do what you can to set routines and healthier habits now, and try your best to maintain them as the semester goes along. Good to hear that you're seeing changes though! :slight_smile:

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

High fiber fruit like dried dates and figs. You get energy and fiber. Fiber makes you feel fuller. Nuts (natural salt free). Trail mix (salt free all natural no processed bits or candy bits)

Healthy high fiber snacks.