1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALWAYS cold

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by No day butoday, May 3, 2008.

1. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this doesn't seem like such a big deal, but my hands are always cold and clammy. It makes holding hands and really any physical touch uncomfortable because, well, for obvious reasons. I remember I found myself getting cold much left often back when I suntanned, but I believe that was before my hands got perpetually cold and clammy. Does anyone know a way to stop this from happening? I'd really appreciate it ^_^

2. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Do u only get cold when ur on the computer?

3. My hands are the same way and I learned it's because of iron deficiency. It could be anything even something simple like you just have poor circulation. I'm not sure how to prevent it happening but when it does happen just rubbing them together or putting them somewhere warm usually makes it end quick

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My hands are warm and toasty. To the point where my friends will make me hold their hands when it is cold out so they can warm theirs up.

5. No day butoday

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, all the time.

That's interesting. I actually have the genetic code for hemochromotosis(iron buildup), so I wouldn't imagine that being the problem. And rubbing them together works pretty well, but the clamminess stays and they get cold again D:

I'm soo jealous D: I think we should have shared custody of your hands ^_^

So I googled it and aparently baby powder works?

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, that seems to be the general consensus: that my hands are a common resource I'm expected to share. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. TriBi

I'm not a Medico (I'm sure Karabulut will be along on this shortly), but it does sound like it could be some sort of circulatory problem.

I have a friend who suffers from a syndrome which causes this - so Googled "Cold clammy hands" - and these are what came up:

http://www.crnhomecare.com/html/new_page_11.htm
    http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/cold_hands.htm

Raynauds Syndrome (as I understand it described here) is what my friend suffers. He has to be careful about allowing his extremities to get too cold - but he is an endurance athlete, marathon runner, Ironman triathlete, surfer etc - so it doesn't impede his lifestyle too much.

It may not be this - it's just that I had heard about it - usually best to check with your Doctor. Of course, it is always likely to be the more common answer than the less common one - so I wouldn't get alarmed - just make an appointment if it concerns you. :slight_smile:

8. KaraBulut

Cold clammy hands can be a symptom of a lot of different disorders- each has a slighly different variation.

The most common cause of cold clammy hands is hypothermia or sensitivity to cold. It's quite common is places with air conditioning and is a response to the convection of the fans that blow the cold air, as well as the cold air itself. It's easily managed by bring a sweater to wear.

The second most common cause is emotional- it's a response to chemicals called catecholamines that our bodies produce when we are anxious or stressed. But there's usually a clear cause- social anxiety, stress or other emotional trigger. When the cause goes away, so does the symptom.

Beyond those two common cause, we start looking for a medical reason. These are things that you should be a doctor for to get a diagnosis.

Some common causes:

Reynaud's phenomenon is one common cause but Reynaud's has a very unusual pattern- first the extremities turn cold, pale white or blue and then they become warm and turn bright red. What is happening is a cycle of artery spasms (which causes the hands, feet and even the earlobes to turn white or blue) followed by a dilation phase (which makes them get very red and warm). Reynaud's always happens on both sides of the body- so both hands turn white then both hands turn red, for example.

Another common cause is hyperhidrosis. In hyperhidrosis, the hands become cold but the palms sweat. The face can get flushed and sweat. The armpits, feet and buttocks can also sweat, too. What's unique about hyperhidrosis is that it mimics the stress effects of catecholamines but there's not a stressor event in many cases- it comes and goes and there's not always a clear trigger. It's believed to be an abnormality of the nervous system.

Other things that the doctor will rule out: diabetes, anemia, hypothyroidism- all have sensitivity to cold and sweating as symptoms.

9. Vampyrecat

Gee. Glad to see I'm not the only one who is excessively cold here. Do your feet and nose get cold as well?? My nose gets so cold it gives me headaches :frowning2:

Maybe you should go to the doc, to get Karabulut's advice taken. Better safe then sorry :slight_smile:

10. From what I've read it sounds as if I suffer from Reynaud's phenomenon lol.
    Every time I get out of the shower, or the pool sometimes, I turn a horrible shade of blue. Then I get red splotches on my blue limbs making it looks like I'm suffering from some unknown disease. I just ignore it, hopefully it's nothing to major.
    It's really funny when it's cold and I'm not wearing gloves because my hands are almost certain to turn blue and red, my friends have noticed and they tend to make a big deal over it lol. They think it's sooo fascinating. :roflmao: