1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

simple question: what if my doctor is homophobic?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Amerigo, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Amerigo

apologies if this has been asked before, but i was wandering - what if i come out to my doctor, explain to him how many of my life problems have stemmed from being gay (i'm not hating on being gay, i like it (at the present)), after all, i should be honest with him. previous i have said i was oblivious to the reason behind my depression and anxiety. i think i should come clean. he'd be the first real human being i come out to, the only one i think i can trust...

...but what if he's homophobic? i know he has a duty, but there must be cases of homophobic doctors out there? anyone had any experience with them?

:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf

2. Femmeme

You fire him and find a new dr. You can call PFLAG or your local queer organization and ask them if they can recommend and LGBTQ friendly Doc.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are also websites that give you the chance to write an online review of such a doctor's attitude and performance...

4. biggayguy

I had a counselor that must have worked to long with sex offenders. When I told him I was bi' and found him attractive he said " That's ok. I've worked with sex offender's before." Not the same as an MD but I did get a different psychologist.

5. Amerigo

wow, thanks you guys :slight_smile:, i feel a little more confident about my rights. and biguy50 i'm shocked to hear that, that was awful of him (*hug*).

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And I've employed these websites, not habitually, but these health providers keep on prospering nonetheless. It often depends on the individual chemistry, as some patients might find them just peachy.

I think there are and will continue to be homophobic doctors, though less of them as time goes by. There were certainly more of them, say, 20 years ago when one of my friends was told by his doctor, in a progressive urban area at that, "then you probably have IT." My friend did not and was super pissed.

I try to stay away from the doctor as much as possible, otherwise I'd shop. I currently have one I like because he is competent and respectful; however, I sense that he couldn't even relate to me on a personal level if he tried, because our demographics are so different. He's a hometown boy (grown man) through and through, with a very linear life - college, med school, married, kids, church, cradle to grave type thing, all in the same area. My life is not linear. But, he is a nice man and does not play the God complex card some doctors do.

7. justjade

I'd find another doctor. And I'd take Greatwhale's advice and write a scathing review (OK, maybe not scathing, but not favorable due to the homophobia) online.

8. If he's homophobic, then that's his problem, and if he takes his job seriously, it shouldn't affect you. However, if he acts on homophobic judgment in the workplace, then he shouldn't be a doctor, as that is very unprofessional.

9. KaraBulut

Well, it's the right idea but the wrong health professional. Primary care doctors aren't really equipped to address these kinds of issues. The person that you might want to see is a therapist. If NHS requires a referral from your primary care doctor then you can speak to him/her about your anxiety and depression as the reason for the referral.