1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chronic depression and anxiety... Scared to speak to a therapist...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FluffyKinz, Jul 13, 2013.

1. FluffyKinz

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    OK here's the thing. I have been mildly depressed for years, but lately it has been getting worse. I have troubles getting over past trauma and hurt. I am an extremely sensitive person, as in what is no big deal to "normal people" easily breaks me down...

Thing is, I know I could use a therapist, but i am scared to go to one... I'm scared of letting my true self out to strangers, and i doubt i can find a LGBTIQ friendly one here... Not only that, but things i think are horrible, people here see as normal... Plus i don't have the confidence that they will keep things confidential... I would need that, as there are intrusive thoughts that i have, that are too embarrassing/scary to be mentioned on here...

I know i need help, but I'm scared... I don't know who to turn to or what to do...

I mean professional help, as in I might possibly need to be put on medication.

Advice?...

2. magic

you could call a helpline if there is one near you otherwise there are a few places that do email counsling and you could make a new email or put your phone on privete if you did not want them to know who you are.

3. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Talking about your anxiety and depression is very hard especially to someone who you don't know and I have suffered for years with it.
    I did eventually pluck the courage up and talk to my doctor who has been a great help, I was on anti depressants for years and they did help but gave me horrible side effects so I stopped these three weeks ago.
    I am finding it hard but didn't want the tablets masking my pain any longer, if your doctor does suggest some tablets to help you through then they can also work wonders for people as well

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know exactly how you feel, and I totally understand the hesitance to seek face to face therapy. The one solution I can think of to offer you is trying online therapy with a professional counselor: LivePerson

If you take a look at the website I've linked to, you will see that there are many counselors available to talk to you about a variety of topics that you can choose from on the left hand side. You can look at the counselors' profiles and see their qualifications, patient reviews, their summaries, and see if they specify being LGBT-friendly. There are many of them who are.

You have the option of talking with the counselors through the phone, live web chat, or email. The only issue with this online therapy thing is that it is quite costly. They charge several bucks per minute or a certain fee per email. But if you're desperate to seek help and really don't want to go to a live person, this may be a good option for you.

Good luck!