1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDC Update: HPV Vaccine Helps Lower HPV Infection in Teen Girls

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KaraBulut, Jul 14, 2013.

1. KaraBulut

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released a study showing that HPV infections have dropped about 50% since the vaccine was introduced in 2006.

CDC Online Newsroom | Press Release | New study shows HPV vaccine helping lower HPV infection rates in teen girls

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is amazingly good news! Once, in a lecture given at the company I worked for that made this vaccine, we were shown pictures of what HPV does to men's anal areas...well, a lot of us skipped lunch that day.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Is it too late to get this vaccine at 19 and a half years old?
    Would it even work at this age? I don't know if I should ask my doctor about it.

4. KaraBulut

The idea behind administering the vaccine to pre-teens is that the vaccine is most effective before any possible exposure to sexually transmitted HPV. However, since the vaccine covers several of the more virulent strains, it may at least offer some coverage even if administered late.

The guidelines say that administration of the vaccine to teenagers who have been sexually active is up to the physician. Chances are that if you ask, you will receive it, though.

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Haven't been sexually active anyway. I'll ask my doctor. Thanks!