1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcoholic Aunt

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by rose94, Jul 14, 2013.

1. rose94

I have just found out from another family member that my aunt has a drinking problem. She's apparently drinking up to 2 litres of wine/whatever else a day.

I'm very shocked and upset. I don't know what to do. She has three sons, two gay, one of which has only just come out a few months before me. As I've said elsewhere, it's a religious family and I don't think she's been able to cope with the news. She's amazingly supportive of my cousins, but she's lost her faith as "it's a pack of lies".

Anybody got anything at all on how I can support her, or my cousins? Much appreciated.

2. geode

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    alanon/alateen meetings are incredibly helpful--other people there have gone through many of the same things, and the meetings help you look at aspects of your own behavior that are dysfunctional and learn new ways of interacting. Being willing to talk about it is helpful; your cousins have surely been aware of the issue but likely no one in their family ever talked about it--it's often a relief to be able stop covering it up.