1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight loss

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kamina, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Kamina

Im very uncomfortable with the way I look. I am over weight and I know it. I really need to lose weight this summer for my own self esteme and because lots of health problems run in my family that can be triggered early due to obesity. I guess it really sunk in this year because I finally realized that it needed to happen.

So now what? I have a gym membership I'm using and I have a daily routine of "at home" work outs that I try to do everyday. I want to drop weight fast but I want it to be healthy (like no beyonce diets :lol:slight_smile: I'm just not sure where to go or what to do. Does anyone have diets or exercise plans that worked for them?

I honestly doubt it will happen here but I just want to put it out there that this is not something I would usually do so please no comments about how obesity causes global warming or some false shit. I'm sorry to have to put this here but in my experience no one cares if the fat kid gets made fun of because "oh well it's funny" or "they can choose to be thin" which isn't always the case. So please spare me the self righteous you're weak lecture. Again I'm sorry I had to put this here but I'm not putting myself out here to be mocked. :frowning2:

2. chrisV

i wasn't too overweight, i only needed to lose like 10 lbs. i kind of just messed around with some weights, and my brothers bowflex. i lost the 10 lbs, and i have now veins popping out of my arms, so i'm happy :grin:

the trick was to change which muscles you work on each day. do cardio one day, and weights the next. just going for a run is good, but i find boxing is more fun. i don't mean like fighting other people, just using a punching bag. i found that 20-30 minutes a day was a VERY tiring workout, and it gave awesome results. running is more that enough to lose weight though. i just like beating the crap out of the punching bag :grin:

the biggest part though is watching what you eat. no matter how much you exercise, you won't lose an ounce if you don't eat right. i didn't keep a strict watch on what i ate, i just avoided processed food, i didn't snack, and i didn't eat out. it's not really that hard, just don't eat it if it's crap.

i know it might sound hard, but i lost 10 lbs in a week, so it was worth the hard work. of course the time it takes will vary person to person, but it won't take long if you stay committed.

3. LD579

Generally speaking, there are some things you can follow.

1. Watch what you eat. Fast food is... not that good, you know? If you ate it twice a month or less, that'd be a start. This assumes that you eat it, and I could be wrong :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Eat more frequently but eat smaller portions.

3. Eat balanced and healthily.

4. Brown bread or brown-white bread over white bread... for many reasons. Brown rice over white rice, brown pasta over white pasta... You get the idea.

5. Cut off soft drinks and such and drink water instead. You can still drink them but just try to gradually cut off your intake of them.

6. Stay hydrated =)

As for exercise and calories... You basically have to use up more calories than how much you're getting. If you ate 2000 calories a day, and basic body functions took up 1500 calories (something like that), you'd want to burn off more than 500 calories, crudely speaking.

Cardio is good and easy and simple. Stay hydrated while you work out, too! There are other things you could do, too. Many options are out there...

And perhaps most importantly... How would obesity cause global warming? :confused:

4. Mrcake

Yelena, here's what you need to do: Make sure that you are doing at least 150 minutes of exercise per week, as recommended by the National Institute of health. You can calculate your ideal weight Here and try this for your weight loss goal . You may be obese but don't let that discourage you! I have been working on losing weight for four years and am finally getting to where I want to be. Remember, weight loss is an ongoing process and can't be done right away, aside from surgery. My advice for your gym membership would be to use it. First try doing 30 mins of cardio, followed by 30 minutes of weight lifting - rotate your lifting exercises. For example, two days work on biceps and abs, and then work on triceps and shoulders the other two days, and legs the other day - take 1 or 2 days off for recovery. Don't buy into health products, they are a scam. I have wasted several hundreds on these and found out that they aren't evaluated by the FDA, meaning that the companies can put whatever they want in the products - often the products contain large amounts of caffeine and stimulants that aren't good for your body. If you do need an extra buzz before going to the gym, choose coffee or black tea. In terms of losing weight fast, you need to cut down your simple carbohydrates such as sugary drinks and white bread - replace them with water and sugar free drinks\ whole wheat bread and other products. Try eating under 2300 calories a day and workout that amount of time, eventually you will see a difference. I'm glad that you have chosen to become healthy, in the long run it will benefit you and you will thank yourself. Good luck with your weight loss ! - Sincerely, Mrcake, dietitian in training .

#4 Mrcake, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  5. srslywtf

I was overweight for all my life, always hated it, always wanted to lose it. Couldn't. Couldn't stick to a diet, couldnt stick to exercise. Then last year I did. I still have a little ways to go, but I'm 80% done (lost 80lb so far)

Honestly if you don't have the motivation to lose it/stay on track, you need to look at what else is going on in your life. You start feeling good THEN you get healthy. Most people have it backwards. Yes being healthy makes you feel better, but you need to find what else is getting you down.

If you arent as motivated as other people, theres a good chance there is something getting you down psychologically in other aspects of your life. For me, I always looked at my friends and thought 'why are they so motivated to do all this'.. then when i figured out/recognised that I was gay (after 25 years of it being completely repressed).. All of a sudden, I could get healthy. I cared about myself in other ways. I cared about the image I was portraying to the world. I stopped doing things that were harmful to myself and kept me in that hole.

#5 srslywtf, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  6. Kamina

Thank you so much for all the replies! I'm really sorry about the crappy paragraph at the end I'm just so used to reading/hearing hateful things about overweight people. I'm definitally going to try all of these things mentioned here and I really appreciate the support! :slight_smile: Thank You!

7. Stick to these main points:

-Drink LOTS of water
    -Exercise at least 4 times a week, at least 1 hour each session
    -NO JUNK FOOD

p.s. Doing this for your own benefit and health as opposed to doing it for others perception of you will bring you much more motivation. Women are beautiful no matter their weight, it's your health that you should keep in mind.

You will lose weight and you will be much healthier. :slight_smile: GOOD LUCK!