1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paralyzed

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Paralyzer, May 5, 2008.

1. Paralyzer

Paralyzer gets paralyzed.. quite frequently actually
    And no, this is not why my screen name is Paralyzer

Is this some type of weird malfunction in my brain? I've heard of a 'switch' in your brain that tells your body to paralyze itself at night so when you're dreaming, you don't move along with it. Well, it's very very common for me to wake up while my body is paralyzed and it scares the crap out of me.

I'll be lying in bed, then the next thing I know, my eyes are open and the only things I can move are the tips of my fingers and my toes. Sometimes my hands are touching and I can squeeze one to try and alert my body to wake up.. and when I finally get out of paralysis, there's absolutely no medium between the acknowledgement and the action.. I'm aware. I highly doubt this is intricate dreaming. Not only that, but it seems like while I'm paralyzed, things have a twisted aura to them. I'll start to unwillingly smile and my eyes start seeing things very narrowly.. I also start to hallucinate a bit. Maybe this is my body attempting to let me have dreams while I'm still awake.. is that freaky? Of course that's only my theory. I was listening to Sigur Ros one night in bed, and I fell asleep but I woke up Paralyzed and the music sounded very eerie. When I got out of Paralysis, the music was still playing but it was back to normal.

This doesn't happen to me when I'm well covered up, it only occurs when there is a good sized portion of my body exposed to the air.

When I fall asleep on my bedroom floor or alone on top of my moms bed in the daytime.. something even freakier happens. I wake up paralyzed.. but I start to float... I rise up at an angle, as if someone were picking me up to put me on my feet. THIS FREAKS ME OUT.
    But it's also cool.. haha :lol:
    Erm, It's weird because depending on how comfortable I am with the experience, it lasts longer but when I think in my head "down down down down down" I start to sink and then as soon as I touch ground, I wake up... if I was ever asleep. It feels incredibly real.
    It's really scary because my mouth is paralyzed and I can't do much except wiggle my fingers and move my eyes.

My freakiest experience was when I was laying in bed, I awoke paralyzed.. and then my bed started to cave in and I felt like I was being eaten..

Soooooo, I was wondering if anyone knew more about these experiences... the one where I'm not floating, I'm pretty sure I'm genuinely awake, but the floaty ones, though they feel just as real, don't logically make sense...

Are these dreams? Am I a mental case? Should I have my brain checked?
    Has this happened to you? Discuss......?
    I'm interested in this subject (of course.. I wrote it)

I've always told myself that this would be a lot less common if I had someone in bed next to me.. haha :grin: I could hold on to them. (Not relevant.. haha XD)

Oh yeah, and I don't know the correct word for lay.. lye? lie..?

2. otc877

otc877 Guest

I've read about this before, and you're not crazy. This is a known condition.

I'm pretty sure the condition you're describing is called sleep paralysis (simple name right?)
    Hers' the wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Off the top of my head, when you sleep your body releases an enzyme that paralyzes the muscles in your body during the deepest sleep stages. For some reason you're waking up before the paralysis wears off and thus you get to experience it. (not sure if that's right, it's just what I remember reading.)

I've also heard of the other condition your describing (not sure what it's called, night terrors seems to be standing out...), in which the person wakes up, but is still dreaming (hallucinating) and the dreams are extremely vivid and the victim is rendered helpless because they are paralyzed. This condition is one theory to explain the people who are abducted by aliens during sleep.

As for treatment, I have no idea what can be done. I'm assuming a sleep aid that can ensure a night's sleep without waking up would be useful? But, I'm no doctor.

3. KaraBulut

What you have is called somnipathy- a sleep disorder.

It does sound like Hallucinatory Sleep Paralysis or possibly pavor nocturnus which is also called night terrors.

The way that you'll get a diagnosis is to have a sleep study done.

4. Paralyzer

Sleep Paralysis:

This describes me to a 'T'
    It generally happens when I fall asleep directly on my back or stomach
    My sleeping schedule is nonexistant, I fall asleep whenever.. no problem
    I've been going through stress recenlty because V
    I'm going through an environmental change, I'm coming out to people very rapidly.. (imho)

YES! I feel like someone is watching me in the direction that my head isn't facing.. it's so weird. And I do hear strange sounds but they are indescribable

Oh crap.. I hope nothing bad happens..... I've got a bit to worry about.. but then again, these occur rather frequently for me so I guess it's not a big deal by now.. but idk

I don't know much about Somnipathy.. and I highly doubt I have night terrors.. I usually associate that with sudden screaming out of sleep.. that's never happened to me before.
    I think night terrors are funny though.. haha ... don't ask why.. (comic was talking about it)

I think getting a sleep study done would be awkward.. I'll just live with it. Though it freaks me out, I kind of like the experience. I don't think this will be a problem for the rest of my life.

And yeah, sometimes I think aliens might have been at work! Haha....