1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this an eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by john1b1, Jul 20, 2013.

1. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I've had almost no appetite for the last couple months. For example, today all I had to eat until around 10 pm was a glass of tea, and I didn't even feel slightly hungry. This is a pretty common experience for me; if I don't have someone telling me to eat (like if my family goes out for dinner or something) I just won't eat.

It's not that I'm trying to lose weight, although I certainly wouldn't mind losing some spare fat. I mean, I'm 5' 9" and 150 lbs with a reasonable amount of muscle, so I'm hardly overweight. With no fat I'd probably be around 140, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing that happen, but I'm not intentionally starving myself or anything.

On an average day I probably consume something like 1000 calories, and I don't think that's healthy, but I don't have any drive to eat more. I don't know. Is something wrong? Or is this normal and I'm just worrying for no reason?

2. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    You should be worried!

The average woman should consume around 1500 calories a day. The average man should consume around 1800 calories a day.

The lowest you can go is 1200 calories and even then, it's not good.

Were there any drastic change in your life in the past couple of months? Or are you particularly stressed/depressed? It might also be bodily issue as well.

Since you are 17 years old, eating only 1000 calories is especially dangerous as your body is still growing and lack of nutrients in your system leads to underdevelopment.

3. Night

Night Guest

Eating disorders are mental, and since you show no signs of wanting to not eat... you don't have an eating disorder.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you don't want to eat then don't.

4. TraceElement

Like Viridian said, you need to eat more. Eating less than 1200 calories, your body goes into starvation mode and stores fat.
    If you have no appitite, try drinking an Ensure, or something simmilar to bump up your calorie intake. Also, you could leave out some nuts, pretzels, fruit and veggies and grab a handful when you go by so it's not like you are sitting down for a full meal.

5. chrisV

i have the same problem. i just force myself to eat whenever other people are eating. i find that once i sit down and start eating, i get hungry enough to eat a small meal

6. apostrophied

I don't think you have an eating disorder per se, as unless you are leaving something out, it doesn't seem that you don't want to eat/hate your body/find yourself fat/etc. This is a major part of an eating disorder.

The question is rather, why are you not hungry? Are you stressed out? Anxious? Busy? I used to be kind of like you. I'd say that the first step would be to eat three (or more, if you like) small meals per day and slowly increase their caloric content until you hit ~2,000 calories per day. Start with cereal and 3.25% milk in the morning. And don't be afraid to eat "unhealthy" things like chicken nuggets, cake, etc. Right now you need to focus on eating more calories, you can deal with the rest later.

There's also this effect called the appetizer effect which is when you start eating, your body responds to that by making you become hungrier. So munch on something and you may very well realize that you are actually hungry. Try crackers, peanuts, things like that. Eating around other people who are also eating tends to be very helpful, too.

Can you tell that I'm a psych major and I've written a whole paper on this stuff? (Not an actual scientific paper though, lol.)

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Get yourself checked. This is how my anorexia and bulimia started, and they have been pestering me for over a year now, and I've had pretty bad health consequences. Please get help.

8. KiddlesP

If you do not feel like eating, then, while not ideal, you could at least aim to eat more nutrient dense foods/drinks (for example milk is more nutrient dense then tea). You could also try a chocolate flavoured protein powder.

You should be getting more calories, and if you do not want to eat as much, eat less high energy foods instead of trying and failing at eating more low energy foods.

However if you simply do not have a strong urge to eat yet, getting sufficient levels of nutrients should be a priority. Your body can go without food for some period of time, but not having enough water-soluable vitamins can cause disease in a short amount of time.

9. Foxface

Per the DSM no you do not have an eating disorder. It could be a slow metabolism but I'd also ask, how are you emotionally? ((note...you don't have to answer this publically...just to yourself))

Are you having depression issues or anxiety? Lack of eating can be prominent in both

just a thought

Foxface

10. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, go see a doctor. You'll want to know what condition your body is in before you make any changes to your diet.

Second, do your homework. Learn about the essential nutrients (protein, carbs, vitamins, minerals plus water) and make sure you get enough of them every day. In our modern world it's too easy to live on microwave soup because it's the lazy thing to do and end up with a vitamin deficiency.

Third, plan your rations reasonably. Find the balance that works for you. For example, your brain runs on sugar, but your pancreas can only handle so much at a time. If you don't feel like eating much one day, at least make a mental note to make up for it the next day.

Fourth, keep in mind that your body is your responsibility. Treat it with respect. Unless you're excessively obese, the last thing you want your body to do is start consuming itself to stay alive.