1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burning belly fat

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Foxface, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Foxface

So I have actually lost quite a bit of weight...almost 35 pounds down now and 7 inches on the stomach. Does anyone have any tips about how to target and lose belly fat?

I've heard a lot of water and cut down on sugar

I run 3-7 miles 3-4 times a week but that bulge won't go away

Any tips would be lovely!

Foxface

2. srslywtf

you can't target where weightloss will occur,

developing abs/torso muscles will help refine shape, also make sure your digestive health is good to prevent bloating which may be causing extra bulging in that region.

besides that just keep losing weight if you still have fat you want to get rid of.

I find it hard to believe you've dropped 7 inches from 35lbs though!

I've lost 80lbs and I'm down 4-5 inches.

3. Foxface

no lie I promise that. Started at 48 inches and down to 41 on the abdominal circumference. I should have said it was abdominal and not waist

I was a major sugar eater and when I cut sugar drastically the belly really went down quick but now I am stagnant

thanks for responding

Foxface

4. Bear101

srslywtf is right in that you can't target where your weight comes from. A few questions:

1. How many calories are you eating every day? Are you writing down everything you eat? Guys eat a lot, even when we don't realize it.

2. You say that you're doing 3-7 miles, 3-4 times a week. Are you going at a steady pace or are you varying your pace up? You want to be varying your tempo. Get your heart rate up and then slow it down. For example, run at a moderate pace for 2 minutes, sprint for a minute, then slow down to a recovery pace for 2 minutes.

3. You also don't talk about any weight lifting program. You need to be building your muscles up as well. Muscles take more calories to maintain than fat do, so by building your muscles up, you will burn more calories even when you're not working out.

There's lots and lots that can be done to help you out, but we need to know a bit more info.

Good luck!

5. TGgamer

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Its just not exercise. Cut out all sugary drinks and try to stick to only water.
    How much water are you drinking? That plays a part too.
    Like Bear said, you would want to change it up a bit as your body gets to a platue (spelled wrong) on calorie burning.
    Losing too much weight fast could result in your skin staying stretched.

6. Foxface

Thanks for the interest and reply

1. I am using a program called fitpal and my daily intake is 1690...I usually average around 1500 a day

2. Unfortunately, I have been running steady. I am a long distance runner myself. The one bit of back and forth pacing I get is from soccer with contants sprinting then stopping and so forth

3. No I hadn't thought of that yet.

Foxface

7. Bear101

Look into a type of running called Fartleks. Yea, I know it's a strange name, but they'll kick your ass. Also, you don't talk about speed or hill training. If you vary your training, it will help.

The other question I have for you, is have you ever tried using something called a BodyBugg or another device like that. You wear them on your arm and it measures how many calories your burn all day. All the websites had been saying that I was burning 3500 calories a day, but when I actually wore the BodyBugg, I found out I was only burning 2900 calories a day. It made a lot of sense why I wasn't losing any weight.

8. Foxface

wow I never knew that existed (bodybugg) I may have to try that out

And no I didn't do any speed training yet. Hills are rare in Central Illinois

I really appreciate you all taking the time on this with me

Foxface

9. Ridiculous

I would be wary of putting much trust in these sorts of things - they are unlikely to give a very accurate measurement of how much energy you are using. That can only be measured reliably in a very controlled environment with sophisticated equipment.

I looked up the bodybugg and the sensors it uses to calculate what you are thus:
    1) accelerometer
    detects when you move - not going to be a good indicator as accelerometers do not not register intensity well at all
    2) heat flux
    marketing words - literally just means heat change, so is the same as 4
    3) galvanic skin response
    measuring the electrical conductivity of your skin, which in actual application will detect when you sweat as not much else is going to be changing your skin's conductivity. I'm not convinced they will get an accurate reading of this in the first place, and if they did it's very unlikely you can accurately determine how much energy you are burning from that number.
    4) skin temperature.
    obviously how hot you are does not correlate very well with how much energy you are burning

What's most telling is these two sentences on their website:
    "However, regardless of whether or not you wear the bodybugg™ device, our web interface software will be able to give you your actual average calorie deficit number. This number is derived from your mass change over a week, and since the scale doesn’t lie, neither can the deficit equation."
    ...which basically means it's actually just calculating it from what you type in as your weight at the start of the week and what you type in at the end. I can guarantee the device you wear is doing very little and is just a gimmick to make their service (which you have to subscribe to and constantly pay to use...) seem more unique and attractive to customers.

10. Bear101

Actually, they are fairly accurate. They are accurate enough to be used at the Biggest Loser Resort and other organizations that assist people scientifically with weight loss. And they are cheaper than getting your VO2 max and resting metabolic rate done (I've had those done as well).

11. NouvelleVague

Hello :slight_smile:

Well, I'm one of those people who think that you can't target where you loose the weight, although you can tone your abs while keeping a clean diet. See, the last part you're gonna loose weight are the ones where you put on weight first.

I do believe some specific scales can tell you how your fat is stored, for having tried one myself. You should try one and see how your body works.

As I said, anyway, toning your muscle on the problematic zones can help you feel like you're losing weight. But don't forget that abs can only be made in the kitchen. Even if you're not thinking about getting really defined abs, a better toning and overall appearance of your belly relies on what you eat most :slight_smile:

I hope I was of some help here :slight_smile:
    xx