1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheezing/whistling noise after running

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by rose94, Jul 28, 2013.

1. rose94

So, I went for a run today. It's the first time in a while because I've had a long-term knee injury which I've had to sort out and strengthen.

Anyway, this has happened to me before when I was exercising regularly, as a cadet doing Nijmegen training (go look it up) so I am unsure if it's simply a lack of fitness. It won't be helping I'm sure, but I don't think that is the full story.

I ran about half a mile after doing a bit of circuit training and the wheezing only lasted about 10 minutes or so after I'd stopped. So yeah, some of that is probably lack of fitness and poor recovery time, but...I've been in bad shape before and this feels different.

2. OhSOCurious

It may just be from the lack of exercise. Your lungs need to get back into the swing of things :slight_smile: Just to be sure, get a quick check-up with your regular physician.
    Don't push yourself too hard when running. Slowly build your way back up to what you used to do.

3. rose94

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I think possibly it is just a lack of exercise and poor fitness. I was just wondering if maybe it was an allergy or something? I have bad skin and am on antibiotics at the moment as well.

Probably should have mentioned that before. I'm hoping it is simply a lack of fitness and I'll build up slowly. :slight_smile:

4. OhSOCurious

Most allergic reactions would cause swelling, and if this was one, even mild, it would be more noticeable.
    Your antibiotics wouldn't have much, they mostly help fight off any infection. Infections such as one you may get after a surgery.
    The most it could be was just too much running for your first day back into running. If I go jog a mile right now i'll be wheezing as well...

Just take things in moderation, there is no rush.
    Also be sure to breath in from your nose and out your mouth to allow better air flow and stay hydrated!

5. rose94

Went on another run today, but paced myself better and wasn't as bad. My 'parents' visited tonight though and I can't tell whether I had a panic attack, some other sort of breathing difficulties or something else entirely.

Feel like a hypochondriac.

6. OhSOCurious

What type of symptoms?
    And why the " 'parents' " in quotes?
    Why would you have a panic attack form them?

7. rose94

Erm, all I can liken it to is like trying to breathe through a straw or some other narrow tube. Like I can't get enough air inside my lungs and I make a weird whistly noise when I tried to breathe out. It's gone now though.

Parents are in brackets because, well, they are bad parents and I'm not allowed to live with them. And...perhaps pathetically, they still frighten me.

8. OhSOCurious

What were you thinking about when you started to have this constricted breathing?

9. rose94

nothing really. Sorry, not a lot of help. I think it's maybe panic attacks.

10. OhSOCurious

It could be. But the way you described it makes it sound more intense. Has this ever happened before?

11. rose94

Yes, it has happened before, when I was on a 50 mile march with cadets a couple of years ago. I was given steroids by my gp, but it's been a while since I've done that much activity. My ribcage is tender right now. It's strange because I haven't overly pushed myself, not what I would consider pushing myself anyway. Running at 'talk-test' pace, it's just been afterwards when I've had the problem and tonight.

It's like the air going in is sharp somehow. I think maybe I should go to my GP just in case.

12. OhSOCurious

Yes. Go get a check up just to be sure. I'm not allowed to diagnose you for a few reasons.
    1. It's against the Code Of Conduct on this forum
    2. I'm 17
    3. I have no medical license what so ever

13. rose94

:slight_smile: I wasn't expecting a diagnosis. But at least I no longer think I'm over-reacting. I shall make an appointment in the morning. Thank you.

14. Kamina

Yea ask about asthma when you go. I have reactory asthma which only happens when I cough or do anything that may irritate my airways, like exercising more than I'm used to. What you describe, the feeling of inhaling through a straw and being unable to draw air, sounds like me when I'm having an attack. Also the wheezing is really common. I usedto get that, not so much anymore. Also usually after anattack my back amd rib cage are quite sore from strain to inhale.

Just something to ask about! It's easy to treat anyways.

15. OhSOCurious

She was an athlete before hand. She would have noticed consistent symptoms prior to her bed rest.

16. rose94

Athlete- wouldn't go that far! But thank you for the compliment! That's so cool. I guess Nijmegen is pretty intense. I was about 35ish miles in on day two the last time I did it when I had what I thought was a panic attack, but I'm not so sure that it was.

Anyways, thank you for your help and I shall go to see my GP as soon as I can.