1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh my god, so damn achy...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by pirateninja, May 9, 2008.

1. pirateninja

Right, few months ago I posted about the horrible clicking and pains in my jaw, right?

I went to the dentist, and he confirmed that I had, in fact, got TMJ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder

So he gave me a biteguard to wear at night or when it got really bad. So I was wearing it 24/7. And then it got increasingly worse. Before, my jaw just used to click and hurt when I opened it too wide and occasionally it got stuck but then relaxed after 5 or 10 minutes. Now I can't open my mouth wider than about 3 fingers width, and even that stretches it and causes pain. I get aches in the head, face and ears because of it and find it hard to concentrate at school and have trouble sleeping. I can't even yawn without crying out in pain.

Like an idiot though, after about 7 weeks of wearing the biteguard, I just stopped wearing it. I had been told that it should help after only about 3 weeks and after seeing no change, I just stopped wearing it. Now it's worse than ever, and no matter what I try, no matter how much I try to wear the damn guard now, it's not even lightening up slightly.

Again, like an idiot, I didn't tell my parents just how bad I felt. I'm not good at telling people whats wrong. So they haven't been able to do anything about it.

Now I'm at my wits end with this. I have exams next week and I would prefer to be able to go in and do my best, and not be inhibited by all the aches and pains in my face. But with them so close, I doubt anything could be done before that time anyway.

2. Gumtree

There's actually a treatment you can get to fix it.

I can't remember what they call it but my friend got it.

You go in every 2 weeks over 8 weeks and each visit they inject your jaw with a form of steroids. I'm not 100% sure how it works but i know i worked for my friend.

Good luck!

3. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Yer i get pain there too but only when i chew too much gum, mayb you shouldnt use your jaw as much.. or mayb not :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: