1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

causes of homosexuality

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by markosss, Jul 30, 2013.

1. markosss

all my life i am wondering why i am gay! i didnt choose it. i have read some articles about the hormones and sexual orientation but nothing gives you an answer!i have also read that environmental factors play an important role.i have grown up with my little sister and my older cousin(girl).maybe this is the reason of my homosexuality. one of my friends (lesbian) have grow up with 4 boys in his family and she is the younger.whats your openion guys?have anyone of you grow with girls or boys or what do you thing about your sexuality???:kiss:

2. LD579

Some things just are the way they are. I didn't ask to be born as a guy, but it happened. I didn't ask to like strawberry ice cream, but it happened. I didn't ask to like guys, but it happened. And that's okay.

There's nothing 100% definitive about what causes being gay because it's something that's subjective in quite a few ways. Also, it's hard to prove that environmental factors do not factor into one's sexuality. There have been some connections made, though, about genetics and such. If you care to learn more, it's specifically about epigenetics... but I won't pretend to know more than I do about the subject, as it stands now.

EDIT: it can also be hard to 1000% be sure that things are causes or 'symptoms'. For instance, if I played with Barbies when I was younger, did that make me gay, or was that just merely a sign of me being gay? The obvious answer is no, it did not make me gay, but can that scientifically be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt? Objectively, I see it as a very fuzzy gray area.

I'd say that, to put in my own thoughts, environmental factors influence the way one sees things and the way one acts, but won't change one's sexuality.

#2 LD579, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some believe that homosexuality is caused by epigenetics, where the trait for sexuality is passed down from the opposite gender parent, like a mother passing it onto her son or a father passing it to his daughter. This reason seems to be gaining believability, but no one really knows yet.

4. srslywtf

Hard to say,

the simplest idea I've had so far for 'regular' gayness is that it's an evolved/genetic response developed to cope with overpopulation of a species. Can't say if that is true or not, but it seems it would be a rational explanation.

I imagine there are actually multiple reasons, possibly multiple unrelated reasons that arose separately.

I absolutely think there are people who became gay due to upbringing or environment. Whether one considers them 'truely' gay or just 'confused/afraid/abused straight' is up for debate.. I'm open to anyone calling themselves whatever they like as long as theyre open minded and respectful.

#4 srslywtf, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. Wells

Wells Guest

Well, I've always lived with just my mum. And we see her mum and sister regularly, and her brother. So ive grown up mainly around girls. Like im sitting in the car wth all 3 of them right now...

6. wowiemio

I have a younger brother , we both went to same school. he's str8 and i'm not so i don't think there is a reason why a person is gay

7. Sully

There has to be a reason. Simple as that. Just like there's a reason that your eyes are blue or brown, or you're tall or short, or you desire to be an actor or scientist.

I lean towards the scientific side of it, the reason being mostly found within an individuals genetic make-up. However I'm sure there would be some input from social context etc.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I lean toward a scientific explanation, where sex is involved, nature often takes over the rational mind; it's a force we are barely able to contend with (requiring all kinds of social constructs to channel it in the "right" direction).

9. Pat

Pat

I've read something about a portion of the brain that's shaped similarly to that of a woman, and lesbians having the spot shaped as a man. Something like that. If they knew what caused us to be gay, I can bet you top dollar they would make a cure for it. They're trying I'm sure.. and I'd like to say definitively that I would go get it, but I like being who I am when the dust settles.. My brother has 5 years on me and he's a straight guy. He felt like maybe he didn't expose me enough to women, wondered if I was sure, wondered if I was abused.. but ultimately, supportive of me. I felt like he also knew and at times some of the pressure on me felt heavy.. but he never really sought out to make me uncomfortable, it was just him being a guy and I think he knew around that point. There's nothing wrong with you man. You need to accept yourself or live a miserable existence. It's also possible to accept yourself and still live a single life. You have some options, but if you want to be happy.. If you want to experience what's innate to you. Having a mate, having a REAL relationship with friends and family, you have to take the first step and throw away the notion that there's anything wrong with you. It's a small portion of who you are. No one screams from the mountain tops that they are straight, so why should you do the same about being gay?

10. coreyl13

I used to think it was because I grew up living with my mom and sister and I always had friends that were girls. However my sister turned out to be lesbian. I was definetly born gay. Since as far back as I can remember I liked guys.

A few weeks ago my step grandparents and aunt were discussing homosexuality and how it is an abomination. They were giving reason on why people are gay saying upbringing things tha happened in childhood and then the aunt goes if the mother does drugs during pregnancy ( CHILD IS BORN GAY) I'm not caught up on the drug part which is so untrue but the fact she acknowledged the possibility of being BORN gay. Completely contradicted herself.

11. germanion

germanion Guest

I am sure there is a reason but not discovered yet . Homosexuality is not considered as mental disorder and because of that not many studies are investigating the causes .

For me I don't have any sisters ,only brothers and as a child I was a typical normal kid but I remember that sometimes I had that thoughts of being a girl until I realized later in life that I am gay or bi ... maybe in the future the causes for homosexuality will be known and maybe there will be a treatment .

12. lukeluvznicki13

Yes that's what I heard too, and the fact that chromosones have taken an affect and have made you attracted to the same sex. It is very complex xD
    Going to leave all that scientific confusion to the professionals.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read this somewhere, too. You make well thought out posts, and I'm only picking out this part because it's controversial. Is the portion of the brain shaped like that of the opposite gender even when the guy is traditionally masculine and the woman is traditionally feminine? I think this is fair to ask, of anyone who wants to answer, since there are plenty of threads addressing typical behaviors, stereotypes, apparel, voice, gaydar, and all that, so the term traditional should not be upsetting.

I think it's genetic. I believe it's a personality trait in terms of temperament and disposition. I think personality can be inherited. I've met the kids of certain 1st cousins I've NOT grown up around, and I was stunned to see how similar I was at the same age in appearance, interests, and personality style. That was a neutral statement. I think nurture can work in concert with the baseline genetics. It can accelerate or decelerate the predisposition, but I don't think nurture itself determines sexual preference. That said, we've all known someone's parent who had a very contentious marriage, divorced, and then opted to become involved with the same sex. I don't think that was the result of the contentious marriage because of how many people go back for a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th attempt at marriage. I think it was a result of basic programming. So I'm voting DNA.

15. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  16. enigmeow

I do believe that there is a evolutionary component. In the context of a pack of monkeys, you can easily imagine only a single alpha male doing all the breeding so it is important to give the other males a sexual outlet so that they can act as solders. Females are the same way.. only a single viable male sexual partner in the tribe so you end up focused on other females.

Its why in prison we can so easily revert to homosexuality..

So, we are all naturally bisexual but some are just more biased then others to the extremes

IMHO

17. June Cleaver

I have heard it has to do with natures way to control the population. I think as far as in my case I am reincarnated into the wrong gender body. In my case from young childhood I have memories that don't belong to this life that my parents could never explain them. June

18. InactiveUser1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    couldn't agree more...................

19. MrBrightside

I had a thought earlier.

Just because we dont know why were gay doesnt mean we shouldnt live it. We dont know why we live but we quite happily do that :slight_smile:

20. secrethermit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That kind of thing is typically a larger inmate preying upon someone weaker. I wouldn't really consider that homosexuality. It's more a power/rape thing.