1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dry throat & quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by shamrockmut93, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Hi, everyone. So, as much as it embarrasses me to admit, I've been a light smoker for almost a year. This month, my habit reached its peak at three cigarettes a day, and I just finished a pack having smoked only two cigarettes a day over the course of this past week. I decided to quit for obvious reasons, not to mention I feel like the habit has affected my attitude in a not-so-nice way (thanks for those of you who put up with my rants on EC lol). Anyway, this is my second day without a cigarette. So far, my urge to smoke is minimal, and it's pretty easy to ignore, but I have this dry cough that comes and goes throughout the day, and it kind of freaks me out. I just wanted to know if this is a normal part of quitting after only having been a light smoker, I'm not exactly sure if I've been smoking enough to experience any real withdrawal symptoms. Also, I would appreciate any advice about quitting, as this is my first serious attempt at it. Previously, I would just go a week without smoking while toying with the idea of quitting, but this time I'm planning on kicking it for good.

2. FallenAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish the best to you. I used to smoke a pack a day. I haven't smoked since Dec 2009! I quit cold turkey which was rough, but I guess it worked! You just have to figure out what's right for you. When I get stressed, I crave them again but I have my best friend to yell at me when I say I want one lol. Plus smokefree.gov (or something like that) has some good tips including a calculator to see how much money you can save by quitting lol. Again...good for you and best of luck! Message me if you need anything :slight_smile:

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Yes, I smoked for a couple years, sometimes two packs a day, and I can tell you even when I lightened up towards the end I tried quitting multiple times, and even when I did the coughing was normal. It will continue for about 4 weeks after you have stopped smoking. Just wait till you can taste food again. :grin:

Oh and watch this, you will never think about smoking ever again after it.

Do you smoke??? WATCH THIS!!!! - YouTube

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. rose94

That infographic is really cool. I'm what you could call a 'light smoker', sometimes having up to maybe 5 a day, but often going 2/3 days without one at all. Don't even know why I bother to be honest.

I daren't watch the video, but I guess I should do!

As for the cough, I think it's pretty normal, as is the dry mouth. But that should improve soon. Well done on quitting.