1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ingrown Hair/Razor burn/bumps

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by srslywtf, Jul 31, 2013.

1. srslywtf

OK So.. recently started shaving all of my body except a little pubic patch..

Most of it is good, but I'm getting some ingrown hairs/red bumps in a few spots, consistently everytime I shave..

I'm thinking about trying hair removal cream.. seems like the best option tbh.

Does it get less intense after you've been shaving for a while? Like if I just keep at it, will it eventually all go away? I have good shaving technique/etc.

Thankfully stubble hasn't been a problem for me, my hair is pretty slow to grow - also VERY thankfully, my balls/etc had kinda whispy soft hair, so there is no itching/stubble at all there even if I have missed a couple days.

2. LD579

When you say you get spots consistently, do you mean, for instance, that every time you shave your legs, a spot will always appear by your right knee (For example)? If so, I'd just take more care on those areas... Using products on the concerned areas after you shave can also help as a preventative measure. Something similar to this, perhaps...

Hair removal (Depilatory) cream can give you patches and bumps as well, actually. Also, the skin's a bit more sensitive for a few hours after you use it.

I'm not sure if it gets less intense after a while, unfortunately, so I can't help you there.

3. srslywtf

I'll just stick to it. I'm gonna get myself a single-blade razor, seems that should help.

It does seem that I'm getting better at avoiding them. I'm experimenting with skin products afterwards too.

It's usually the middle of my chest, just below my stomach (above the pubic region though) and occasionally in my inner elbows.

It seems like it might be going away, ill report back in a week or 2

4. Ridiculous

Usually bumps/rashs/ingrowns and so on do seem to lessen the more you shave. Whether this is down to your skin getting used to it, or your shaving technique subconsciously improving with practice, I don't know.

Some people say single-blades are better and some some they are worse, so it could be worth a try.

5. Jakey945

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Try washing these areas with a product that contains salicylic acid making sure to thoroughly exfoliate the area.

6. GayJay

Is it just me that's found the bumps get worse the more you shave.
    when the hair thickens and hair growth speeds up..they seem to come more :/
    Are you using womens razors? They tend to go easier on the skin and moisturize the area afterwards

7. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

If you are a masochist like me, you could use an epilator, and have every one of your hairs individually ripped from their nice cozy follicle. Or you could try waxing. Both are good. C:

8. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been shaving my legs and armpits since forever. Never had this happen on my legs, but occasionally in my armpits. It's a general hazard of shaving and it seems to affect those with more sensitive skin.

Try shaving after a hot bath/shower while still wet. Shave with good quality razors that are sharp. Try using a shaving gel rather than a cream. Use gels for 'sensitive skin'. Moisturise after shaving.

Hair removers are good, but test on a small patch of skin that is the most sensitive part of where you shave before you go all gung-ho and slap that shiz all over you :wink:

9. srslywtf

I got some sensitive hair remover ('for anywhere...') But it didnt do anything after 5 minutes. it said i could try up to 10m but was in a rush so havent given it a shot yet. maybe ill try the regular one too for main body.

I'm usually more resilient in terms of skin products, but the shaving shows up badly on my elbows/chest.

10. Precious Venus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Argh, ingrowns used to be the bane of my life! I'm really sorry to say it but in my experience, no it won't stop or go away.

I can shave my legs, but anywhere else and it irritated my skin so badly I'd get a sore, itchy red rash that lasted for ages and by the time it healed, I had huge, sore ingrown hairs in its place. I found depillatory creams not much better, they burned my skin and the hair grew back too quickly, so I turned to waxing.

Waxing was better, no rash or stubble, but the ingrowns were much, much worse. When you pull the hair out from the root, it is much more likely to become and ingrown. So, if you're having issues shaving, I'd give waxing and epilators a miss (also, epilators are evil and hurt like... umm... I was going to say buggery- ha ha!).

In the end, I had laser hair removal and I highly recommend it. It hurt a lot and was expensive but I only have a few fine, blonde hairs now. If nothing else works for you, you might consider this (PM me if you want, I can recommend a local beautician for you. You can't just go to any old dodgy one!).

In the meantime, my tips for shaving:

Disinfect the area before and after hair removal.
    Shave in the direction of the hair growth, not against.
    Paint your skin with milk or yoghurt after hair removal to soothe the skin and prevent red rashes. Sounds mad but it actually works!

Some people are just prone to ingrowns. Typically, it's people with coarse or curly hair. Lucky us, eh?

#10 Precious Venus, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  11. UndercoverGypsy

Oh god, ow. That sounds hellish.