1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking on the front of my feet

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BudderMC, Aug 1, 2013.

1. BudderMC

I've been noticing for a while now that I've been walking on the fronts of my feet when I'm around the house, probably so I could have a lighter step and avoid creaky floors (when I was heavier). But it's kind of force of habit now, since I still can't stand creaky floors.

I guess the best way to describe it is my feet end up looking kind of like how someone wearing high heels would look, minus the heels of course. I walk relatively normally when I'm out and about though (flat-footed, avoiding shuffling).

Is this going to be terrible for my feet or posture or something? Is it concerning?

2. MerBear

3. Abbra

I totally do that too! I'm so happy that I'm not a weirdo anymore.

I've heard a couple different things about it. In most cases though, I've heard that it's okay as long as you don't run like that. However, it's also a difficult topic to study, so I'm unsure of the results. I guess I'd say that it wouldn't be so bad if the two of us broke the habit.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's actually not bad for you. It puts less strain on your knees, and if you've grown up doing that, it's actually better for running. It works your calves more so you'll have larger ones. ^_^

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #5 Argentwing, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. Northern

I was wondering this too, I walk on the front part of my foot too all the time, I just don't really like walking the other way because it is louder. I don't know why I do it, either way I walk almost completely quietly but I like it better. Although I probably do it more just to feel taller :slight_smile:

I don't think there is anything wrong with it though, but I do agree maybe we shouldn't run like that, but I guess around the house it should be fine.

7. BudderMC

Ah well, it's not nearly as high as high-heels, I just couldn't think of a better way to describe it in the moment. It's only a bit off the floor :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for all the info everyone!

8. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I used to walk like that, I still do sometimes, thinking about it, its like walking like a
    Satyr :lol:

9. Ridiculous

I tend to do it too, although usually it's not very high on my toes - just enough so my heels don't touch the ground.

Do you ever have issues with your Achilles tendons? I often do and it is probably linked to this - whether it is a cause or a symptom though, I don't know. If I remember correctly someone on here (I think it was Kidd) mentioned having surgery to lengthen their Achilles tendons and said that it was preventing them from putting their foot flat on the floor comfortably, causing them to also walk on their toes.

10. BudderMC

I can't say I've ever had notable issues with my Achilles tendons. Occasionally while running, but that's usually if I don't stretch enough first.

11. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's how I walk all the time. I don't even really have a reason I just walk like that. :lol:

12. Aquilo

It's actually more natural to walk on the front of your feet. Those Achilles tendons aren't there for nothing.. they help to cushion the blow to your body when you land on top of your feet. On top they store elastic energy when you land, which they release when you take your feet up again (Also one of the reasons why kangaroos can hop, they have massive tendons).

The reason people land on their heels instead, is because shoes are often designed to cushion the blow on your heel and they make it more easier to walk that way.